Thread: E46 Engine replacement won't start

My Cars
    E46 325i

E46 Engine replacement won't start

So basically I have an 04 325i that had a blown head gasket and a parts car.

I took the 2.5 from the parts car and swapped it into my car. The whole thing went extremely well and had it done in about 3 days but now I am having a no crank/no start issue. This engine ran before I pulled it. I actually drove the parts car to the location that I pulled it out of so I know the engine is good and strong.

Symptoms: turn key on to auxiliary and for a few seconds the eml, sel, and oil pressure lights will blink in succession, as well as a clicking coming from under the dash board and the fuel pump "clicks" as well before it finally kicks on and all of the lights go solid. Turn key fully to turn car on and nothing happens. All lights stay on and but nothing at all happens.

I started with the starter and replaced it. Battery is brand new already but I put it on charge to make sure it was good. I bypassed the neutral safety switch at the pedal so in essence the vehicle should always be thinning thr clutch is pressed(did this after all of the issues started)

The engine came from an auto and went into my standard, however all of the accessories are reused from my standard and all sensors are hooked up right.

Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I Touring
    Are you sure the main engine to chassis ground is connected and in good condition? You can test this with a set of jumper cables. Connect one clamp to the negative jump point, then the other end of the same color clamp to the lifting eye on the front of the engine. This will provide a good heavy gauge connection for the high current the starter pulls.

Have you tried manually jumping the starter? Have you checked the signal on the trigger wire at the starter?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    330i ZHP, 325i, MR2 V6,
    Those are great points for checking and testing the engine ground. Also check the connections at the battery and where the negative terminal attaches to the chassis.
    How long has the car been sitting, not running? Sometimes when they sit with no battery power for a while, the EES and DME get out of alignment and needs to be reset. You may need to tow it to an indie who can perform the "Handshake" procedure or maybe you have a good mobile tech who can come to you. This may not be needed. Also, put you clutch safety switch back to where it was. I won't on these all day and I've seen a few times where someone reached in to start a car and didn't realize it was in hear and the clutch switch was disabled or just never installed (air cooled 911s).

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2002 525i
    INPA can be used to resync the EWS and DME. But an out of sync condition will result in the engine cranking, but no start.

FWIW, if the EWS no longer recognizes the key you will see the same symptoms. Dash lights come on, but no crank.

I think the first order of business would be to use INPA/PASoft/other BMW-specific scan tool and pull codes.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)