Thread: 2005 X3, 3.0 w/226,000 miles, needs to pass CA smog test. What has to be ....

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320

2005 X3, 3.0 w/226,000 miles, needs to pass CA smog test. What has to be ....

This was my wife's DD. It was her turn to fulfill her wish list for transportation and she is now DD's a 2015 X5, 3.5 d. The car only had 40,000 miles and with the MPG we are getting she is saving $200 a month, so far.

As a result of her fulfillment, I now have our long in the tooth X3. Needing to pass our California mandated bi-annual smog test a number of much ignored items are being addressed. First these cars will run for years with a constantly lit check engine light greeting you when you start the car each day. You should confirm there is fluid in the radiator, you pick the liquid. Yes, blue is better but green works. Then oil is important and should not trigger the warning lite to get you to refill the sump. If your consumption is epic the gasket between the engine and the oil filter is going to need attention. Denial is only helping to turn your motor and transmission mounts to goo. Change the gasket first, then all three mounts.

The air filter was never meant to be a life time filter, like the filter in the fuel tank. They can block the sun when they are finally replaced. But the one item that you really have to focus on at this number of miles are the fuel injectors. Here in southern California we have RC to save your car. This is the second time they have refreshed one of my old cars with amazing results. No amount of special tank juice is going to help you limp across to pass when the injectors are in the condition such as mine. Getting them out of the car was no fun, putting them back in was much easer.

I did replace the coils and plugs, ebay on the coils yes. But the upper O2 sensors ended up Bosh. Took me five to find two to work. Again, what you find on ebay, without the heaters will not work. You have a 50% chance to have factory parts work when you are saving 45% and two weeks for delivery. I tried and the last purchase was a local parts store. So lets see, the first pair along with the two weeks that were junk plus the third "factory" part the did not have the heater, plus two weeks give me a 25% success rate when I am saving money. I think there is a lesson here. In my case I do have a 1994 2WD Nissan Pathfinder I can press into service as needed. At a tick over 300,000 miles it keeps on starting, no reverse but you can work around that.

So, I now have 100 plus miles on the X3 with no service light. Monday we get an appointment and plug her in for the pass. Then there is the 4WD warning, after the smog thing.
    Last edited by jr02518; 09-29-2021 at 10:49 AM.

My Cars
    2005 x3
    Quote Originally Posted by jr02518 View Post
    This was my wife's DD. It was her turn to fulfill her wish list for transportation and she is now DD's a 2015 X5, 3.5 d. The car only had 40,000 miles and with the MPG we are getting she is saving $200 a month, so far.

As a result of her fulfillment, I now have our long in the tooth X3. Needing to pass our California mandated bi-annual smog test a number of much ignored items are being addressed. First these cars will run for years with a constantly lit check engine light greeting you when you start the car each day. You should confirm their is fluid in the radiator, you pick the liquid. Yes, blue is better but green works. Then oil is important and should not trigger the warning lite to get you to refill the sump. If your consumption is epic the gasket between the engine and the oil filter is going to need attention. Denial is only helping to turn your motor and transmission mounts to goo. Change the gasket first, then all three mounts.

The air filter was never meant to be a life time filter, like the filter in the fuel tank. They can block the sun when they are finally replaced. But the one item that you really have to focus on at this number of miles are the fuel injectors. Here in southern California we have RC to save your car. This is the second time they have refreshed one of my old cars with amazing results. No amount of special tank juice is going to help you limp across to pass when the injectors are in the condition such as mine. Getting them out of the car was no fun, putting them back in was much easer.

I did replace the coils and plugs, ebay on the coils yes. But the upper O2 sensors ended up Bosh. Took me five to find two to work. Again, what you find on ebay, without the heaters will not work. You have a 50% chance to have factory parts work when you are saving 45% and two weeks for delivery. I tried and the last purchase was a local parts store. So lets see, the first pair along with the two weeks that were junk plus the third "factory" part the did not have the heater, plus two weeks give me a 25% success rate when I am saving money. I think there is a lesson here. In my case I do have a 1994 2WD Nissan Pathfinder I can press into service as needed. At a tick over 300,000 miles it keeps on starting, no reverse but you can work around that.

So, I now have 100 plus miles on the X3 with no service light. Monday we get an appointment and plug her in for the pass. Then there is the 4WD warning, after the smog thing.
    Without a check engine light and if all your lights and turn signals and brakes work, you should be fine.

My Cars
    75 BMW 2002, 82 320
    Very short answer, yes it passed.

If you reset the system you have to drive a certain numbers of miles, let's say 100. Then drive to your preferred smog station and have them plug your car into the system. If you arrive at he machine with nothing lit up on you dash, you're golden. You get your receipt and the test results are in the system!

Drive another 40 miles and your dash lights up with a couple of codes that might have to do with the vacuum leak that break cleaner sprayed on the intake system is supposed to find, but not in my case. But I am done. At some point I will have a smoke test performed and my leak will be found, or not. BMW ownership is always something, right?
    Last edited by jr02518; 09-28-2021 at 06:23 PM.

My Cars
    E83, E21, Type 1
    Quote Originally Posted by jr02518 View Post
    Very short answer, yes it passed.

If you reset the system you have to drive a certain numbers of miles, let's say 100. Then drive to your preferred smog station and have them plug your car into the system. If you arrive at he machine with nothing lit up on you dash, you're golden. You get your receipt and the test results are in the system!
    To add clarification: if you do not drive enough miles or fully complete the engine monitor readiness drive cycle, the P1000 will be stored in the computer and the car will fail. The longest I've seen is taking 1000 miles to fully clear the P1000 code.
    E21 build

BMW CCA 584213
    1970 VW Beetle
    1981 E21 (sold)
    1984 GMC S15
    1986 Oldsmobile 442
    2008 BMW X3
    2016 Chevy Silverado
    2021 Chrysler Pacifica
    1961 Cub Cadet
    1962 Springfield Gem
    1965 Jacobsen Chief 800
    1967/77 Bolens 1054/G9

My Cars
    1993 850ci 2001 M5 / Z3M
    I clean injectors on the rail here in AZ. The fuel filter can be replaced in the tank, make sure the tank is very empty to the level of having the low fuel light on.

An alternative to clean the fuel injectors, intake manifold, and cylinder head/piston is to mix some e85 into your fuel. In our 2006, I have put in 5 to 6 gallons in the tank, then top with 91 octane; targeting 30 percent ethanol. e85 burns cleaner and leaner than gasoline, repeat this for 3 tanks, you will see some improvement.

Its best to do this when driving the car regularly, its not recommended to store the car with high concentrations of ethanol. If you get a check engine from the e85, reset it.
    Regards,

Brian
    Cave Creek, AZ