Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1991 Dinan S3

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Give it the fat, 245/45/17 square-shouldered meats that Style 5's need in order to look good - it'll look really good. Even softy-boi DWS06's in that size look great on my current set of your wheels.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    It looks like you've got a gun box to the left of the steering column. Any tips on how to install one of those? TIA

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    Give it the fat, 245/45/17 square-shouldered meats that Style 5's need in order to look good - it'll look really good. Even softy-boi DWS06's in that size look great on my current set of your wheels.
    100% on real tires. Those specs sound perfect to me!

Quote Originally Posted by bigperm206 View Post
    It looks like you've got a gun box to the left of the steering column. Any tips on how to install one of those? TIA

Keen eye. The drivers side glovebox, or "pistolenfach" mounts the exact same way, with the same screws, as the regular cover there. The only difference is it is 3 separate parts vs 1 continuous. You will need to remove the knee protection, if so equipped.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Cool. Thanks for info and tips

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Everytime I post, it's a "teaser", because it takes me so long to get anything done! Here is yet another teaser

If you are familiar with Dinan, I am sure you are familiar with these wheels, and how rare these wheels are. They came up about an hour away from me, guy had them sitting in the back for about 5 years! Beyond stoked, and can't wait to upload some pics all refinished!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk
    O o
    ____________________________ ______________
    | BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH! !!!!
    \_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Can’t say I recognize them, but stoked that you’re stoked!

Always exciting to hear about barn finds like that!

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    DP Motorsport Enduro 3s. Dinan spec'd them specifically (to my knowledge atleast) for their turbo cars. e34 535i turbo, 750il/850i turbo. Although there are different widths/ offsets, these sets of cars all work well together as far as wheels are concerned. So unsure what chassis these came from, but they'll work.

1989_bmw_535i_dinan_stage_3_turbo_1608055784d52637ce39FB4416D5-7B11-4B76-8140-05D4DC2971BB-scale.jpg
    O o

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Thats rad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Two big milestones:

Ugly fat heavy no good very bad automatic went bye bye. Nice light fancy 5 speed going in. New seals, metal pivot pin w/ zirc fitting for easy greasing in the future. New slave cylinder, everything. Cleaned it up a bit even.

Second big milestone

ROAD LEGAL. Always fun to get plates for a car. One step closer to being a real car.

Other little things in the works:

Going to get the Dinan tips welded onto this billyboat exhaust system. Will also polish it all up before going back in.

New Hurricane fabric to reupholster the rear door cards, which originally came from a manual window car. Plugs just weren't gonna cut it for me.

Also ordered some really cool custom plates, that I was very surprised to see not taken already. Will be an absolute perfect match for the period + theme I am going for.

Hoping to get some driving videos in the coming weeks. Really excited to see it all start to come together.
    Last edited by theBMWbeast; 03-21-2022 at 12:48 AM.
    O o

My Cars
    '91 M5
    Dying Engine? =p
    Current Fleet:
    E34 1991 M5 Macaoblau on Complete (ruined)Leather Champagne - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1705166

Past:
    E34 1989 535i 5-Speed AlpineweissII on Natur - Parted
    E34 1992 525i 5-Speed Islandgrun on Pergament - Parted
    E34 1995 540i 6-Speed ShwarzII on Shwarz - Sold to Sneezy.
    E34 1995 525i 5-Speed Calypso Red on Parchment - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1748143 - Sold locally.
    E39 1998 528i 5-Speed Black on Black - Sold locally.
    E34​ 1993 M5 Alpinweiss on Black - http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...lpinweissII-M5 - Parted

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by TGreene View Post
    Dying Engine? =p
    I could have gone for “DYN TRANS” because I was getting trans prog errors and slipping in all gears before I removed it haha.

But I figure it’s supposed to mean Dinan (Dyn) Engineering (Eng). That car from the magazine was their halo car, and owned by Steve Dinan, so makes sense.
    O o

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Big update time:

Finished the 5 speed prep. Clean transmission, new everything. Resealed diff and painted. All new bushings on the driveshaft, and painted.

Also took some time to knock out the rear water block gasket, properly. Had full access while the trans was down, so one less thing to leak. Couldn't get the gasket above it, even though I had it on hand. Let some sleeping dogs lie I figure.

Got that all into the car, everything torqued to spec. New Dinan short shifter, poly rear mount/delrin front. Custom DSSR from Big Duck Club, wonderful quality and great price too, highly recommend them. Super quick turn around time for a custom order. Diff is a 3.46 lsd, old auto diff was fulllll of metallic paste. Not fun! Lsd had nice clear fluid, which is always great.

Once that was all in and shifting well, moved my attention to the engine bay. Did a thorough degreasing, cleaning, and even took some time to rewrap the wiring harness wherever I could, as 30yr old insulation had seen enough heat cycles and was brittle.

After that was done, finished up the cooling system refresh. New manual specific radiator, new fan clutch (don't need a hole in my hood). Swapped in a new accelerator cable while the aux pump was out to replace all those hoses.

Also snagged an e46 strut tower brace. Working on making it e34 compatible

Did some minor interior work. Got every single pedal bushing replaced, clutch hydraulics all in and ready to go. Have some shift knob options I am deciding on. Also got new seatbelt trim, and installed 20 Jahre motorsport seat belts. Adds some nice color to a dark interior.

Another project I have been working on, is a lighting upgrade. My freeform headlights are cracked and taking on water. So out they went, and some nice euro smilies going in their place. Used Squared Motorwerks adapaters to make Morimoto Bixenon projectors work. Should be a great upgrade over stock!

Also experimented with headlight options. Pretty set on running the clear smilies, but I do love the frenchies as well. Smoked is great too. All good options, but I wanna keep it clean and uncluttered, so most likely will go with the clears.

Recieved all hoses for a complete power steering refresh. Looking for a no leak car. Debating on tracking down an M5 steering box, for that """slightly""" quicker ratio. A nice rebuilt box would work wonders too.

Still have work to do before this car sees the ground again. Whole exhaust needs to be polished up, reinstalled. Wanna do the braking system while it is up as well. Rebuild kit for the e36 m3 rear brakes came in, so will need to get to that. Mount front brembos and trim the dust shield, as it currently contacts my lower balljoint w/ the AKG roll spacers.

After all of that, maybe a wheel and tire update? We will see. Hoping for quicker updates next time, although I have done a bunch. And have a bunch more to do...

O o

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Awesome work beast.

So someone does make projector adapters for the e34? That would be awesome news. Were they pretty much plug and play?

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Awesome work beast.

So someone does make projector adapters for the e34? That would be awesome news. Were they pretty much plug and play?
    Squared Motorwerks is NLA. I got these off a group member on facebook. They are not plug and play. If you note in the second pic, the entire inside of the light housing has to be ground smooth for the new projector to fit. The old projector has plastic tabs in there that it interacts with to lock in. A 10 min job with a dremel tool, though. After that it is more of less plug and play.

https://www.esgprints.com/

This company also makes projector adapters. The same squared kit was $450, so this is a little bit more expensive, but the only known option, at least to me. They also offer cheaper ACME kits vs Morimoto.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Debating on tracking down an M5 steering box, for that """slightly""" quicker ratio. A nice rebuilt box would work wonders too.
    Just like the other things you're doing to the car now, having rebuilt, tight, 100%-to-spec parts is going to be way more impactful than the M5 box. The majority of the box's "perceived slowness" is felt right off center. 7% more ratio from the M5 won't do shit. 50% less play will be big.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    Just like the other things you're doing to the car now, having rebuilt, tight, 100%-to-spec parts is going to be way more impactful than the M5 box. The majority of the box's "perceived slowness" is felt right off center. 7% more ratio from the M5 won't do shit. 50% less play will be big.
    Agreed 100%. Do you know of a company that actually rebuilds these boxes? Most just do seals and call it a "rebuild". I know ZF has some in stock, but was hoping for something a little less than $2k...

O o

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by theBMWbeast View Post
    Agreed 100%. Do you know of a company that actually rebuilds these boxes? Most just do seals and call it a "rebuild". I know ZF has some in stock, but was hoping for something a little less than $2k...
    I had Benchwork in Arizona lap flat my sector gears, we discussed rebuilding the actual worm unit to fit 0.001" oversized balls but that was going to be a 4-digit job lol. Just lapping the sector gear area (the primary wear item in a steering box) made a world of difference. I traded that box for labor eventually, but I should probably lap my current car's box at some point.

My Cars
    E34 525it, e30 318is
    Wow what a great build. Keep the updates coming!
    E34 525it/5 S52
    E30 318is slicktop M50T
    F15 X5 50i M Sport

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by Analog View Post
    Wow what a great build. Keep the updates coming!
    Appreciate it, thanks! And will do, here's a minor one:

Which set is for my front brakes, and which is for my rear? Trick question, they're both fronts! Crazy how much bigger the new setup looks in person. Hope that translates to even better braking, especially with 4 pistons vs 1.

Morimotos installed and wired up. Stole some power (it's fused) from an unused relay nearby. Need to adjust them, but out of the box leaps and bounds better than before. Very pleased!

Also installed all new power steering lines, and new reservoir w/ filter. Just one less system to leak

Next update will be a driving video, that is my goal!

O o

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    I am still alive btw, and so is the car.

Here is some videos from when it first hit the ground a few months back:

https://youtu.be/1fYCzQoYZZ0

https://youtu.be/JFw1ag44dh4

And here's some pics of the custom dinan plates and wheels that are finally done!

I'd like to think the car is 80% there. Still have little things to address, items that need to be broken in, etc. But it's getting there!

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk
    O o

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Wheelz!

O o

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

1991 Dinan S3

Lookin more and more like the mag article each day. Nice work!

I assume the front wheel gap is mostly due to the fact that it needed settling time?
    Last edited by a777fan; 07-23-2022 at 02:08 AM.

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i, 1993 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Lookin more and more like the mag article each day. Nice work!

I assume the front wheel gap is mostly due to the fact that it meed settling time?
    Yeah, it took a good day

O o

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast