Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sunroof Kinematics Repair Kits - BMW 54108410693

My Cars
    98 Z3 2.8
    A little late to the game, but PayPal payment is sent.
    96 320i Touring
    98 Z3 2.8 Roadster
    01 PY M Coupe
    96 Z3 1.9 - DASC
    95 318ti Clubsport
    94 Miata M-Edition
    13 smart fortwo

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ddbaker3 View Post

$200 w/ Free Shipping in US

Core Repair Kit to Restore Sunroof Operation:
    (2) - Cast Bronze Sliders
    (1) - Sunroof Motor Cover
    (2) - Captured M5 Nuts
    (2) - Super Lube PTFE Packets
    (4) - E-ring Clips

Additional Parts to Replace Upper Sunroof Pins for Optional Glass Removal
    (2) - M3 x 10mm Shoulder Bolts
    (2) - M3 Washers
    (2) - M3 Nyloc Nuts

Any chance you are willing to sell everything BUT the cast bronze sliders? I have the CNCed SS parts from GB, so don't need them.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by CLOWN5HOE View Post
    I am one of the people that got an Etsy refund. Let me know what to do. I'll try to watch this thread.
    I just realized I am as well. Ordered too early I guess.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    99 Coupe 16 GS350 FSPORT
    I should have bought a set of these before I left Raleigh for good. Maybe then I would not fear the button on my headliner.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    cleanerPA, I'll send you a PM.

s8ilver, have you gotten your refund from Etsy yet? I've updated the first post of this thread with PayPal instructions and you're on the list of reserved kits if you're still interested. I'm sorry for the headache.

Wcumoron, if you make it back to Raleigh, I'd be glad to help out with the install.

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Ordered via Paypal. Thank you! Andy

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    cleanerPA, I'll send you a PM.

s8ilver, have you gotten your refund from Etsy yet? I've updated the first post of this thread with PayPal instructions and you're on the list of reserved kits if you're still interested. I'm sorry for the headache.

Wcumoron, if you make it back to Raleigh, I'd be glad to help out with the install.
    I'm still in. I'll fire off another payment.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    For what it is worth, the refund for the payment to Etsy via PayPal was refunded to my checking account today.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    Hey Marty, thank you for letting me know, that’s great news. Etsy finally got back to me and the only thing they were able to tell me was that my account was suspended “in error” and didn’t give me any other details. This matches a bunch of the stories I’ve read and I’m glad to have moved away from using them. My mom has had an Etsy shop for years without any problems, which is why I initially chose that route, but I guess they’ve made some changes lately?

To everyone who placed an order through PayPal, thank you again. The first batch of sliders will be shipping to me around the 15th so I’ll get the first round of completed kits sent out a few days after that. I’ll email everyone who has ordered and I’ll post updates in this thread as well.

My Cars
    2000 MCoupe
    I'm in for one kit.

Just Paypal'd you.

Looking forward to getting this kit.

Jay

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    Quick Update,

The first batch of bronze parts are in transit to me right now, so I'm almost ready to start shipping. Thanks again to everyone who has purchased a kit so far!

I wasn't very happy with how the shoulder bolts were working as far as being quick to remove. They are still a much easier alternative for re-assembling the sunroof than using the pins and E clips and I'll still include them in the kit. But they were a bit tricky and I didn't account for the plastic ledge on the glass that seals with the rubber weather stripping. This meant that you have to push the pins in from the back side and the nut driver didn't have a straight line to get to the threads. You end up needing the extra long flat head and some needle nose pliers to hold the super small M3 nut and I dropped it a few times.

But I was able to finally source something better. These are the smallest quick release pins I can find anywhere outside of something custom and I think they'll work great. The ring that they come with is way too large, but I'm looking into replacing it. When installing, if you push the pin all the way forward, it bottoms out on that same plastic ledge and and nothing interferes with the glass opening or closing. With the glass closed, these won't have space to move around. With the glass open, but not removed, I supposed they could vibrate backwards some, but the worst case is that they compress the rubber, but they definitely won't come out on their own. Some pliers are needed to reach far enough under the glass, but installation and removal is 30 seconds once you've done it a few times. I'll include two of these in the kit as well.

Thanks!

Y0oJBtkl.jpg cY4H5UIl.jpg WATpVUDl.jpg JqJkg9Bl.jpg

My Cars
    2002 BMW Z3 Coupe
    Wow, you are a star. Thank you.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    I've updated the pictures on the first post to reflect the addition of the quick release pins and to show the real color of the replacement plastics.

The first batch of kits is getting dropped off at the post office today and I've sent out tracking numbers. I ordered enough sliders to fulfill 18 kits to begin with and all 18 have been sold. I've got a second batch of sliders already in process, so any new orders will most likely ship around the second/third week of November.

Thanks everyone!

My Cars
    z3
    Quick Update,

The first batch of bronze parts are in transit to me right now, so I'm almost ready to start shipping. Thanks again to everyone who has purchased a kit so far!

I wasn't very happy with how the shoulder bolts were working as far as being quick to remove. They are still a much easier alternative for re-assembling the sunroof than using the pins and E clips and I'll still include them in the kit. But they were a bit tricky and I didn't account for the plastic ledge on the glass that seals with the rubber weather stripping. This meant that you have to push the pins in from the back side and the nut driver didn't have a straight line to get to the threads. You end up needing the extra long flat head and some needle nose pliers to hold the super small M3 nut and I dropped it a few times.

But I was able to finally source something better. These are the smallest quick release pins I can find anywhere outside of something custom and I think they'll work great. The ring that they come with is way too large, but I'm looking into replacing it. When installing, if you push the pin all the way forward, it bottoms out on that same plastic ledge and and nothing interferes with the glass opening or closing. With the glass closed, these won't have space to move around. With the glass open, but not removed, I supposed they could vibrate backwards some, but the worst case is that they compress the rubber, but they definitely won't come out on their own. Some pliers are needed to reach far enough under the glass, but installation and removal is 30 seconds once you've done it a few times. I'll include two of these in the kit as well.

Thanks!

Y0oJBtkl.jpg cY4H5UIl.jpg WATpVUDl.jpg JqJkg9Bl.jpg
    What about removing the ring entirely and sliding the end with the opening in first and then use a cotter pin in the hole where the keyring used to be to keep it secure. That way the cotter pin is on the front edge, so it can't possibly vibrate rearwards and fall out

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M3, and M Coupe
    I just re-ordered the kit using the new PayPal link. Was #12 on your list. Thanks!

My Cars
    02 MC, 01 MR, 99 Z3C
    Ordering a set even though my roof is currently working. Thank you for making these!
    Kelvin

My Cars
    2000 Z3 Coupe
    CLOWN5HOE and KBH22102, I've received your orders. Thank you!

BimmerBreaker,

That's a good idea to use a cotter pin with the pin backwards. I think it would slow down the removal of the glass, but it would definitely be better than the E-clips.

They're actually pretty difficult to take out if the sunroof is all the way open. For this quick release pin idea as well as installing the repair kit, I'd recommend opening the sunroof completely and then backing off by two or three clicks of the button. The tabs on the glass have a slotted hole while the lifting arm is round and it will open far enough to no longer be concentric. This puts a good bit of pressure on the pins and you'll want them centered in the slot for them to come out easily. I've had them installed on my car for about a week now and they haven't moved at all.

Last edited by ddbaker3; 10-20-2021 at 12:53 PM.

My Cars
    BMW M235iR / SpecE30
    Paypal sent. Thanks.
    -Anthony Magagnoli
    #80 BMW M235i Racing - Pirelli World Challenge TC - 2017 Rookie of the Year
    Rooster Hall Racing / FCP Euro
    '87 BMW SpecE30 #007 - 2012 NASA SpecE30 NATIONAL CHAMPION
    '08 BMW "130i" 6MT, '01 Z3 3.0i Coupe 5MT
    '88 Pontiac Fiero GT 5MT (my childhood dream car!)
    Send Your Teens to Street Survival

Drive Faster Now

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Sent for one kit. I don't need it, but I like hoarding parts.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    Sent for one kit. I don't need it, but I like hoarding parts.
    Same boat. Now that I ordered it, it'll never break.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post

It'll get lost between the windshields, transfer cases, diffs, and radiators...

then it will break.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    It'll get lost between the windshields, transfer cases, diffs, and radiators...
    Sounds like someone needs to stop by and pick up a 4.10 on their next CO ski trip. Need any manifolds?! I'm down to three.
    Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    2002 M Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Hope you're right; mine is going on the shelf with the Forbes reinforcement kit that I haven't needed yet. My sunroof kit arrived in the mail today, BTW.

Marty

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBtoo View Post
    Hope you're right; mine is going on the shelf with the Forbes reinforcement kit that I haven't needed yet. My sunroof kit arrived in the mail today, BTW.

Marty
    I should look. I have a secure parcel box on the porch and get lazy.

Nathan in Denver

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I too received the kit yesterday, but I've been away from home for a few weeks. I should get back home in a few days and will get to play with them then. I haven't opened my sunroof for two years now.
    Thanks for producing these!
    -Donny

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast