Thread: WTB AC compressor Part 64528390468

My Cars
    91 535i 00 740i sport 98

WTB AC compressor Part 64528390468

91 535i 5spd. Single V belt run compressor. Anybody got a good used one that works? Went thru a used (didnt work) bought a reman from Rock Auto (exploded internally and sent metal shavings into the system). Very frustrated at this poin to say the least but i think i've got all the internal shavings out of the system.

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    between you and me and I'd appreciate it if you kept this to yourself but I grabbed a cheap one off Amazon for around $150 and it has been running fine with frequent hard use for three years so far...

My Cars
    328, 525, 740, R1200RT
    Quote Originally Posted by jehu View Post
    between you and me and I'd appreciate it if you kept this to yourself but I grabbed a cheap one off Amazon for around $150 and it has been running fine with frequent hard use for three years so far...
    Link?

My Cars
    E34 540i 6sp 1995-03-28
    Quote Originally Posted by Old525i View Post
    Link?
    this is for the 540 not sure if it fits any other... turns out I bought two and one went on the previous 540..seems the price went up some... how surprising.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFQTQ9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Attachment 696049
    Last edited by jehu; 09-20-2021 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    91 535i 00 740i sport 98
    Dang. That wont fit mine. I need the single V belt pulley.

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Member South42 may have one or "Demetk" has figured a bracket to accept the more modern and widely available Denso(?) compressor and R134 retrofit.

If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
    Member South42 may have one or "Demetk" has figured a bracket to accept the more modern and widely available Denso(?) compressor and R134 retrofit.
    A lot of us (over 250) use the sanden 508 compressor that you can get on ebay for about $100.

Buy or build these brackets

And a better alternative to r134 is r152.

cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

And weird but true, a bunch of Bronco truck owners have somehow figured out that they can use the brackets to install the 508 compressor the on their V8's.
    demet

My Cars
    1990 535i
    Hello from NC. I have an early 1990 535i I am trying to get back on the road, and my A/C compressor is dead. The indy mechanic working on it for me has "struck out" trying to find a replacement, and I'm not having any luck yet either. This idea looks like a great solution for me, but do you have a souorce for the brackets, and how would he adapt the refrigerant lines to this compressor? Thanks sooooo much for any further help you can offer!! Mark

My Cars
    e28, e34, e39
    Quote Originally Posted by BCMark View Post
    Hello from NC. I have an early 1990 535i I am trying to get back on the road, and my A/C compressor is dead. The indy mechanic working on it for me has "struck out" trying to find a replacement, and I'm not having any luck yet either. This idea looks like a great solution for me, but do you have a souorce for the brackets, and how would he adapt the refrigerant lines to this compressor? Thanks sooooo much for any further help you can offer!! Mark
    Another batch of brackets is being made and should be ready in a couple of weeks. You can contact me via PM for more info. To use the sanden compressor only one hose needs to be made and that's the large suction hose coming from the firewall. If your hose is in good condition then you can have an a/c shop remove the fitting and install a new fitting for less money. The other small hose can be used as is.

This pic is from my 89 535. Here you can see the new hose connected to the upper port on the sanden compressor and the existing hose connected to the lower port,

I can provide more pics of the install if you guys are interested.

cheers
    demet

My Cars
    1990 535i

Thanks Demet

Quote Originally Posted by demetk View Post
    Another batch of brackets is being made and should be ready in a couple of weeks. You can contact me via PM for more info. To use the sanden compressor only one hose needs to be made and that's the large suction hose coming from the firewall. If your hose is in good condition then you can have an a/c shop remove the fitting and install a new fitting for less money. The other small hose can be used as is.

This pic is from my 89 535. Here you can see the new hose connected to the upper port on the sanden compressor and the existing hose connected to the lower port,

I can provide more pics of the install if you guys are interested.

cheers
    So I found a place in Florida, Polar Bear(mentioned in another post), that can rebuild mine for about $500 plus shipping both ways. They seem like great folks, even advised that the Samden is a really good compressor, but I still have to get my car painted when it's all fixed mechanically, so I hate to spend $600+ bucks on the A/C.

Can you post some additional installation pics on your setup, and a bit more info on what type of shop can make/modify the refrigerant lines, and what to ask for. I will send a pm regarding the brackets. Thanks! Mark