Thread: Wheel and tire advice

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01

Wheel and tire advice

Let me start by saying I know nothing about this subject. I have a 95 840ci with stock wheel and I'm thinking about going up in size possibly to a 18 if this is doable. Any advice would be appreciated or point me in the right direction.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by toomann View Post
    Let me start by saying I know nothing about this subject. I have a 95 840ci with stock wheel and I'm thinking about going up in size possibly to a 18 if this is doable. Any advice would be appreciated or point me in the right direction.
    You run into three limits.

1. Overall rim plus tire diameter (rubbing on lower spring cup on strut, rubbing while turning)

2. Tire series, side wall height, becomes so small/short that any bump in the road can dent the rim and or rupture a disc in your back.

3. Proper offsets such that the load of the car and the wheel bearing load, center on the rim/tire. (generalizing here)

If you go up to 18 inches you will need to still keep the rolling diameter of ALL four tires nearly the same. Going up to 18 inches usually means going down in tire series. Camber plates can be used in the front to bring the top of the struts inward.

A proper alignment (with lasers) is imperative to tire life, as well as, balancing.

The alignment machines have two settings for the 8/e31, standard and low slung.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850
    If you want a bigger rim 18 is at the point where you start running into ride comfort problems

My Cars
    Z4M Coupe 850e31 540e39
    If you start thinking about larger wheels also look into the actual weight of tire + rim.

Some combinations especially aftermarket wheels are so heavy you will wear out everything in the suspension a lot quicker than normal.

Personally I find 18" perfect for the E31 while 19's which was on my car when I purchased it was terrible, too little rubber, too much weight but it didn't rub. I also suspect they may also be culpable in the failure of the rear strut towers.
    Last edited by exalted; 09-21-2021 at 07:33 AM.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Thanks guys. I'm going to read Timms writeup about 10 times and try and get a better understanding of all this. Now I'm really not sure about doing this.

My Cars
    1993 e32
    Most of us would probably like a set of original alpina's , If you can find them, or can afford them.1993-BMW-Alpina-B12-5.7-Coupe-0.jpg.

I had a set of throwing stars which i absolutely hate, so changed them for a set of beyren multispokes which come in the correct bore, offset etc and i think are a nice homage to the originals.
    I have 19's fitted to my car, I would have went with 18's, but they were not available at the time, but are now.

Saying that, the 19's are a perfect fit.

https://www.beyernwheels.com/BMW_whe...ulti_spoke.php

19's on mine.
    20190707_123354.jpg
    Last edited by tepescovir; 09-22-2021 at 04:13 PM.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by tepescovir View Post
    Most of us would probably like a set of original alpina's , If you can find them, or can afford them.1993-BMW-Alpina-B12-5.7-Coupe-0.jpg.

I had a set of throwing stars which i absolutely hate, so changed them for a set of beyren multispokes which come in the correct bore, offset etc and i think are a nice homage to the originals.
    I have 19's fitted to my car, I would have went with 18's, but they were not available at the time, but are now.

Saying that, the 19's are a perfect fit.

https://www.beyernwheels.com/BMW_whe...ulti_spoke.php

19's on mine.
    20190707_123354.jpg
    I like. I wish alpina's were in the budget but beyren multispokes were one of the rims I was looking at. I love them on your car. But I think you're right about going with 18's Thanks for posting yours. I know rims design is a personal taste thing. I'm also looking at these, I would probably go with mpars if I was able to find a set that didn't need to be refinished.

cs15_hypersilver_white.jpg
    Last edited by toomann; 09-23-2021 at 12:22 AM.

My Cars
    Misc.
    I would strongly recommend you avoid any wheel over 25lb.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by Auraraptor View Post
    I would strongly recommend you avoid any wheel over 25lb.
    Thanks for that advice. Quick google search list the rim I'm interested in at 22lbs - is that okay? I see that mpars are the same. I havn't decided on anything yet. Just in the gathering information stage. Really thankful for everyone's advice. The car has just had the little rust that was forming fixed and it's been repainted and professionally detailed, polished and a paint sealant applied. Just ordered a supersprint stainless exhaust which will be put on over the winter months. Last thing is going to be refinishing the headliner which is starting to sag in a few places. But that will need to wait until the spring. Another month or so and it will be put away for the winter.
    Last edited by toomann; 09-23-2021 at 12:29 AM.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    840 detail.jpg
    In being detailed after painting.

My Cars
    1994 E31 840ci 2000 Z3 M
    Quote Originally Posted by toomann View Post
    840 detail.jpg
    In being detailed after painting.
    Wow! Looking clean. How much did it cost you to get the paint touched up, and how would it compare to getting a new paint job done?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    I had the car completely repainted. As well as the rust repaired around the sunroof, lower edge of the drivers door and upper corner of the A pillar. Having the windshield pulled out to have this repaired had me nervous, 26yr old glass doesn't always like to be disturbed, I was worried I was going to get a call that it cracked either when it was being pulled or reinstalled. Luckily that never happened. I also replaced the lower fairing on the front bumper that had seen better days. In terms of cost. just around 6k. But I like the car and don't ever plan on selling it. I've had it 11yrs so far.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    I personally think the OEM 18 inch M Pars are excellent choices for the E31. Classic, easy to clean, but not too fussy. Plus, with your black - they would really set it off. Of course I like the Alpina E31 18 inch rims too, but they are very hard to find.
    CSi #18 - Car & Driver Magazine 1994 actual test car
    -- Hellrot/Black-Gray (1 of 1 NA CSi color combination)
    BMWCCA E31 Chapter International Clubs Liaison
    North America Representative, 8er.or Board of Directors

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    I personally think the OEM 18 inch M Pars are excellent choices for the E31. Classic, easy to clean, but not too fussy. Plus, with your black - they would really set it off. Of course I like the Alpina E31 18 inch rims too, but they are very hard to find.
    I agree. If I could only find a set that didn't need to be refinished. I've watched for a set over the years but they don't come up that often and when they do they're not always in good shape.

My Cars
    Misc.
    22lb is fine