Thread: Cruise Control Issues

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46

Cruise Control Issues

I fitted my 320i M Sport 2002 with a multifunction button panel. It came with a plane panel.

After the job, I went on a test drive and perfect it was, though I still have questions being a new thing to me.

When I turned to go back home, I activated the cruise control while I was still in low gears. My previous speed was 130km/h. The car steadily picked up speed but revs kept climbing to nearly 4000! I don't drive it hard, so that was strange. I had to cut in with the break.

Question is, Does the gear change happen automatically, or should I only activate the cruise control when I'm around my preferred speed? Or was the car going to change the gears eventually, or was it engaging higher gears but I didn't just notice?

Also, is there a way of increasing the speed interval per step?

I like the functionality of the buttons I must say though I noticed it makes sense when you're on a long trip and on the highway.

Thanks.

Sent from my Infinix X606C using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 BMW 325I Touring
    Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission? If it has an automatic it should shift gears on its own if you engage cruise in a lower gear. However, I will say that the cruise tends to try to "resume" the previous speed rather quickly. My car is a manual, so I don't usually engage the cruise unless I'm on the highway. If you engaged the cruise to resume 130kph at say 50kph the car is going to work to get back to that speed quickly, which means holding lower gears longer to get there. I usually approach my previous speed manually and then resume the cruise to avoid unnecessary hard acceleration brought on by the cruise control.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by yjsaabman View Post
    Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission? If it has an automatic it should shift gears on its own if you engage cruise in a lower gear. However, I will say that the cruise tends to try to "resume" the previous speed rather quickly. My car is a manual, so I don't usually engage the cruise unless I'm on the highway. If you engaged the cruise to resume 130kph at say 50kph the car is going to work to get back to that speed quickly, which means holding lower gears longer to get there. I usually approach my previous speed manually and then resume the cruise to avoid unnecessary hard acceleration brought on by the cruise control.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    That makes sense.
    The car is auto..
    I just thought it would somehow shift gears at low revs as when driven normally. So best is to pick up to high gear then bring in the cruise control.
    Thanks.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    So did you tell the car you added the cruse to it, along with the multi-function wheel? If not, this can explain why it's not shifting gears like it's supposed to.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by dworthy View Post
    So did you tell the car you added the cruse to it, along with the multi-function wheel? If not, this can explain why it's not shifting gears like it's supposed to.
    No I didn't.
    Will have to hook it up to PA Soft.
    I think I saw something about cruise control way back. Hope I'm not thinking of some Game options
    Will do.
    Thanks for that.

My Cars
    320i M-Sport 2003 E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Mataa View Post
    No I didn't.
    Will have to hook it up to PA Soft.
    I think I saw something about cruise control way back. Hope I'm not thinking of some Game options
    Will do.
    Thanks for that.

Apparently, PA Soft does not seem to have a provision for coding the MFL. It however shows the MFL but with "no data" status.
    I gathered NCS exper can do that.
    My INPA hasn't gone to NCS. Met issues in the process.
    Since the functions work, I can live with the current status.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    I am not very well versed with PA Soft, but if you want to use NCS-Expert, be sure to get NCS Dummy as well, that makes it so much easier to code.

If you can get it, try Progman as it's a BMW product and you can "retrofit" that stuff in.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member