Thread: Best year to buy?

My Cars
    Z4,s2000,370z.

Best year to buy?

Searching for a z4 2009-2015, any year better than others?

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    I would look for the newest model you can find. But, there are certain things I would look for. I see you're in Florida, so I'd look at mileage, and what type of mileage is on the car. Florida has many interstates, thus mileage could be at high speeds, even low mileage, at speeds over 70 for long periods. This takes it toll on transmissions, rear ends, axels and other moving parts. The basic weather is usually hot, with high humidity, look closely at paint, soft trim, leather seat covers, musty smells in the seating area, and especially in the trunk. The trunk is where the tops hydraulic system lives, lift the trunks floor cover, and look closely at the silver motor/ pumps for any type of water. You'll see on this part two small salmon colored relays. These relays drive the top motor for up and down for the top. Any water in this area will eventually cause a costly repair. In the next trunk compartment just to the right is another possible problem, that houses the Convertible top module. This module controls the top, and logic circuits that tells the top up or down, actual position of the top, and could stall your top mid position. It also is where the plug is for all the sensors that are located throughout the top. One sensor failure, your top will be stuck. If you decide on a E89, change all the fluids, engine oil & filter, transmission fluid & filter, rear end oil, and above all break fluid (break fluid will draw moisture from the air, and the water will settle in the calipers, and rust the pistons.) Look for oil leaks, at the oil filter housing. This oil leak will fall on your main drive belt, weakening it and cause a catastrophic failure. Look at the tires, it the tires are run flats, the basic ride of the car will be hard, and rough (that is normal since run flats side walls do not give) I always tell people to purchase a BMW dedicated scan tool to scan for codes before purchase. Or, take the car somewhere to have it scanned for faults. Auto part stores will usually do this for free. Beware of a seller who says "no" he my be hiding something. Raise and lower the top, it should lower in about 22 seconds and fully up in 22-24 seconds. Changing those salmon relays my cure slow operation. Good Luck on your purchase