Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

My Cars
    1986 535i, 2012 X5 50i
    Where did you got the wiper blades? I got a set of Bosch OEM from Amazon and they looked great with the wind deflector and everything but the driver's side would never reach the hole to "snap" in place. I was under a really strong rain one day and out my wipers in High until the driver's side decided to let go and they both got hooked. It's a good thing that I use Rain X as I was able to get to my destination without wipers.
    Not sure why but I believe the driver's side wiper is incorrect for our cars. Went to Costco and got a pair of Michelins (don't like the way they look but get the job done).
    Jimmy Moreno
    BMW CCA 115551
    1986 535i, Arctic Blue
    2012 X5 XDrive 501, Sparkling Bronze Metallic

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by archieafroz View Post
    Seems like you had busy weekend huh

You mentioned Fuel Filter was easy. I need to perform that maintenance as well. Did you have to pull some fuses out or choke the fuel lines by any chance...? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Nope!

Pull the panel under the car passenger side under the front passenger seat area and you’ll see it. Loosen the S-bend hose first and pop it off the filter. Loosen the straight hose and pull the filter off. There doesn’t seem to be much fuel accumulation in the lines, but there will be in the filter itself. Have a catch can ready.

30 min or so tops I’d say.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    As I've come to learn, the turn signal lens has an outer lens and an inner lens. The outer lens splits away from the inner, allowing moisture to collect between the two. Your picture clearly shows this. Mine are even worse: the outer lens has almost completely separated.

The glue mating the two lenses has failed. You can carefully pull the outer lens off and re-glue it onto the inner lens after cleaning them. I plan to do this as soon as I build up the courage!

It's a bit of a mystery. As best I can figure, these cable adjustments adjust the length of the cable sheath only, not the cable itself. By making the sheath longer, you can take up slack in the cable.

Remember this adjustment point is for the left latch only. To adjust the right latch, use the adjuster lying across the top of the cowl between the two latches. But this isn't necessary until you replace the defective right latch (you confirmed it has a failed spring). Only then can you tweak the overall feel of the hood release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by jimoreno View Post
    Where did you got the wiper blades? I got a set of Bosch OEM from Amazon and they looked great with the wind deflector and everything but the driver's side would never reach the hole to "snap" in place. I was under a really strong rain one day and out my wipers in High until the driver's side decided to let go and they both got hooked. It's a good thing that I use Rain X as I was able to get to my destination without wipers.
    Not sure why but I believe the driver's side wiper is incorrect for our cars. Went to Costco and got a pair of Michelins (don't like the way they look but get the job done).
    Funny, i thought I mentioned it, but these blades are the same. (Bought them from AutohauzAZ, as they indicated fitment) The plastic clip that came with the drivers side blade does NOT fit/clip into the drivers side wiper arm. Haven’t figured out what to do there yet. There has got to be a universal kit or something out there that can be used to address this.

My Cars
    850CI740Lsezd750L95sezd
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Funny, i thought I mentioned it, but these blades are the same. (Bought them from AutohauzAZ, as they indicated fitment) The plastic clip that came with the drivers side blade does NOT fit/clip into the drivers side wiper arm. Haven’t figured out what to do there yet. There has got to be a universal kit or something out there that can be used to address this.
    Luckily...

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by CD05001CIA View Post
    Luckily...

Too bad its not the same in Seattle.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    RE: wiper blades

Um, the E38 takes inserts not blades. And the driver side insert is longer (trim accordingly). Auto part stores don't sell these.
    Last edited by Frankie; 09-14-2021 at 10:36 AM. Reason: link

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    2001 E38 740i
    Nope!

Pull the panel under the car passenger side under the front passenger seat area and you’ll see it. Loosen the S-bend hose first and pop it off the filter. Loosen the straight hose and pull the filter off. There doesn’t seem to be much fuel accumulation in the lines, but there will be in the filter itself. Have a catch can ready.

30 min or so tops I’d say.
    Thank you for that detailed information.

Archie
    2001 740i M-Sport Shorty // 2012 Audi A6 // 2007 BMW X5 4.8i // 2005 Honda Civic Si

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by archieafroz View Post
    Thank you for that detailed information.

Archie
    You got it! Good luck.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    RE: wiper blades

Um, the E38 takes inserts not blades. And the driver side insert is longer (trim accordingly). Auto part stores don't sell these.
    For sure…. If your PO didn’t toss the originals into the garbage and replace them with ‘aero’ style blades.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    I miiiiiiight be slightly obsessed with this thing.

Growing impatient for my parts order of random do-dads to come in, I decided to bite the bullet and replace both batteries today. The PO indicated the aux batt was dead, and sure enough it was no longer holding a charge. The starting e-cat battery was cranking the car over fine, but not knowing the history, i felt replacing both was the right thing to do.

Also got to tidy up the batt-trie compartment while in there. The upper tray doesn’t look so hot. Doused it with baking soda and water to be sure there aren’t any additional remnants still eating away at it.

Compartment floor is still nice n solid. This despite the vent hoses not being hooked up. They were still intact though, which I am very happy about.

Anyone know what this little guy is for? He’s on the connector loom that sits on the outside of the batt-trie box:

I removed all the old gooey tape and re-tessaed it.

And all back together:

I found this little guy kicking around under the batteries:

A quick google search and it was back in place under the third brake lamp.

Thats a nice little detail!

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    I see the top is AGM. Tell me that they both are AGM. I had a mix of 1 AGM, and one old style wet cell. It was not good for the alternator health.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    I see the top is AGM. Tell me that they both are AGM. I had a mix of 1 AGM, and one old style wet cell. It was not good for the alternator health.
    You got it. Two AGMs.

Interesting data point tho. What happened to your alt?

My Cars
    750IL/540iT/R53/E46Vert
    Mine went tore up after about 6 months on that combo. I went back to two old style wet cells. I have an optima agm, so I see that they do work ( I get about 8 years from one - on my third in the Yukon ). But I do notice that the Ctek charger gets much hotter charging the agm. There are a bunch of discussions about how agm and wet cell take a charge differently.
    Last edited by CPHES; 09-16-2021 at 06:51 AM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by CPHES View Post
    Mine went tore up after about 6 months on that combo. I went back to two old style wet cells. I have an optima agm, so I see that they do work ( I get about 8 years from one - on my third in the Yukon ). But I do notice that the Ctek charger gets much hotter charging the agm. There are a bunch of discussions about how agm and wet cell take a charge differently.
    Interesting. Thanks for sharing. I'll admit the AGM is a 'new' thing for me, even though they started becoming common place close to 20 years ago now. We'll see how this pair does.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    More parts!

New side view mirrors () trunk struts and side indicators. Note the bone head ordering move. I misread realoem and ended up with one clear and one orange. luckily the orange one is for the right side, so I’ll only occasionally note that I’m still waiting for the right clear one to be ordered and show up.

They are a bit different… car was sold new in cali

So much better:

Unit comes with a new bulb too, which is a nice touch.

Trunk can now ‘hang’. Lol.

The new side views were a must have.

Nice to be able to see out of them again, although outside of the car itself they are currently my most expensive purchase in this whole adventure.

New hood roundel:

Replaced the busted drivers side seat trim:

Replaced the parking brake pedal strut/damper (no pics)

Replaced the busted mkii nav unit in the trunk with a mkiv off ebay, and now:

Radio and all functions again work normally. Its awesome. As you can see, it also came with a ‘free’ NA navi DVD, which is

I plan on going 16x9 and bluebus eventually, but for now, its great to have a functioning radio and clock again.

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Unplug the factory TCU in the trunk to extinguish the red "no signal" light next to the nav screen.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Unplug the factory TCU in the trunk to extinguish the red "no signal" light next to the nav screen.

Hah. Didn’t even know that was for the phone. Thanks!

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Some weekend updates.

Started looking at the S-EDC system faults, and documented that here https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...roubleshooting.

Had a ‘CHECK BRAKE LININGS’ afterward on the dash, so had to take the rear wheel off again and re-seat the connector. That fixed it. A bit alarming that the red BRAKE lamp accompanies the lining warning on the e38. At first I thought I was dealing with two issues. Lol.

Went to fill up and got an SES light afterward. I didn’t scan, but given the fact that the PO had mentioned something similar had happened to him just prior to my purchase I wanted to take a look at the filler neck and gas cap. They didn’t look great.

Took some 600 grit to the neck:

Put some silicone grease on the seal to ‘help’:

We’ll see if it works at all. Will likely end up with a new cap at some point. Shame the seal alone is NLA.

Also updated the mkiv navi to V32 of the software, following the steps on e39source.com. Maps do look better!

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Fixed up the ole glove box with new struts this evening.

https://youtu.be/yJ1r4ZU3PC0

@Frankies writeup was a big help. I didn’t have any bailing wire to utilize his strut compression trick, but I did have a BFCL, see below

Worked a treat!

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

A new S-EDC module fixed my issues and the system is operable again. Rides much much nicer, especially on our sh*tty Seattle roads. V. Excited about this, especially for the price point. $50 bucks via ebay.

I was finally able to connect INPA to the two DMEs to pull codes. Oddly, the version of INPA i have does not have the correct DME option available under the e38 menus, but it IS available under the generic ‘Engine’ menu. Also unfortunately all the menus are in german. TGI google translate

Looks like the SES is coming from my thermostat. Getting a code 139 which has already re-occurred twice since clearing it last night. I’ll have to order a new one. Its a good excuse to clean out the green coolant I suspect is currently in there.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    The PS BMWCCA had a meet at the XXX root beer in Issaquah this am. Met up with @bigperm206 and his e24.

There was only 1 other e38 there. A black ‘01 740iL.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Picked up new OE orange slices.

For once, ECS was the most affordable place to purchase. 43USD each and free shipping!

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Picked up new OE orange slices.

For once, ECS was the most affordable place to purchase. 43USD each and free shipping!
    I believe they’re called “lemon slices.” Are they Bosch?

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by GZilla View Post
    I believe they’re called “lemon slices.” Are they Bosch?
    Nope… they are ‘Automotive Lighting’ brand.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast