Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Care to share your cost? I think a quote for my 740 wood trim, which contained fewer pieces than your 750, was around $1800. I counted 21 pieces in your set, which must've pushed the cost over $2K.
    PM’ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1998 BMW 750il
    I've been hunting parts lately and came upon an EBay seller (murad_motors) who has 3 of the inlaid trim strips listed, used from a 2001 750iL, and claimed to be in great shape. He has individual listings for each of the front left, front right, and rear left for $185, $175, and $175, respectively, plus shipping. Apparently, he does not have a rear right. If you're keen on this look, you could buy them and have the fourth made up by OP's source.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

Quote Originally Posted by stevick View Post
    I've been hunting parts lately and came upon an EBay seller (murad_motors) who has 3 of the inlaid trim strips listed, used from a 2001 750iL, and claimed to be in great shape. He has individual listings for each of the front left, front right, and rear left for $185, $175, and $175, respectively, plus shipping. Apparently, he does not have a rear right. If you're keen on this look, you could buy them and have the fourth made up by OP's source.
    Haha. Yeah. There is a thread on here completely devoted to that ebay seller and his ridiculous asking prices.

Edit found one of them: Murad motors on Ebay
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Last edited by a777fan; 11-18-2022 at 09:24 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Haha. Yeah. There is a thread on here completely devoted to that ebay seller and his ridiculous asking prices.

buyer beware
    2001 BMW 740i | 2013 Ford SVT Raptor | 2018 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i

Not to hijack your thread but I remember when I was looking to purchase E38 sport seats and saw that seller's posts. Jesus, that seller's store seemed sketchy and overpriced. It's as bad as the Lithuanian sellers on ebay, who increase the price of Euro specific parts by like a 1000% percent. Like the euro armrests, which are ridiculously priced over $400 dollars. I found so many E38 euro armrests in their junkyards for 20-30 euros when I was there months ago.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by stevick View Post
    He is hit or miss, I would not buy anything overly expensive from him. I have bought random stuff and its been ok, but nothing over $200. My two 750 seat backs were from him.

I have heard really bad things about anyone buying seats from him.
    Last edited by Staszek; 11-19-2022 at 10:21 PM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

Started to get the door cards back in today.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is

Started to get the door cards back in today.
    So sweet!!

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    So sweet!!
    TY! Its nice to have a normal way to close the drivers side door again. Lol.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

Some additional odds and ends from yesterday.

Was missing this little cover in the engine bay:

I didn’t even realize it until I stumbled across it in realoem:

Here are the inner door ‘tie downs’ i was waiting for.

They hold the door release cable and wire harness inside the door via zip ties:

Each doorcard went back in with new green foam padded pins and new black door pull clips:

Everything is nice and tight now. Which is great.

I had previously noted that the passenger side door exterior handle felt different from the rest of them. Not loose, but it did require less effort to pull to open then the other doors. I pulled the handle before I put the door card back on, and found this:

You can clearly see where the return spring has slipped out of the groove in the little tab that appears to have gotten bent downward at some point. Absolutely no clue how that would have happened. Some internet photo searching shows that the tab should be positioned horizontally, which makes sense. Again, no clue what action would have resulted in that little tab getting bent downward that way.

Unfortunately my attempts to ‘massage’ it back failed miserably.

Not totally surprising . Its just a cheap casting, and I had no way of heating it up before attacking it with ‘brooksie’ which you can see in the upper right of the picture.

I’ll have to look for another handle. Hopefully in an anthracite thats a close match. Does anyone know if the exterior lit handles are a 750 thing? Or do all facelifts have them?

Until then the handle still works fine. It just will continue to feel different.
    Last edited by a777fan; 11-20-2022 at 01:50 PM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    More trim assembled and installed!

Bought new anti-rattle clips for the front calipers a while back, and finally installed them.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    Looking fresh. Nice work!

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    passenger side ? I have spare passenger side door handles in anthracite from my car

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by bavin View Post
    passenger side ? I have spare passenger side door handles in anthracite from my car
    Yes! Sent u a PM.

My Cars
    96' 518i E34
    [QUOTE=a777fan;30845840]More trim assembled and installed!

Did you buy that piece of trim or restore it? Mines warped and falling off

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    [QUOTE=0239666;30846314]
    More trim assembled and installed!

Did you buy that piece of trim or restore it? Mines warped and falling off
    Both? Lol.

Mine was falling apart, so I bought a used one off ebay. I then sent it in to be restored so it would match the rest of the trim.

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    Do you also plan on getting sport seats? Also, the wood trim for the rear doors, is it me or is there a colored pattern on the top of them? And is that a V12 only option? Looks really nice!

My Cars
    2003 540i 2001 740i
    Handle pic
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    A couple of quick things.

Mostly all in the quest to get rid of the front end rattle that persists.

New motor mounts.

The old ones were pretty shot!

The noise remained. Although there is now WAY less drivetrain slop.

The mounts on the 750 have this weird little ‘vibration’ damper.

Mine for what ever reason are quite rusted. May replace them later.

Wipers needed replacing. Thanks to the clip that Bosch provides, but doesn’t fit the wiper arm on the e38, a 5 minute job took about an hour.

Made my own ‘safety’ wire from some stranded wire I had left over from another project.

Works great. Just a real pain.

One of the air filters looked like this:

Popped in some new mahle filters:

Also tweaked the coding on my EDC unit, to see if that would have any impact on the rattle noise coming from up front. The original unit that came with the car was kaput when I bought it. I bought a used unit on ebay which has worked fine, but the ujits themselves need to be coded. There are quite a number of selectable settings in the unit, assuming they are so BMW could make one box for any number of cars.

Figuring out which is the right setting for your car is pretty difficult. Not a whole lot of info online. When I first got the replacement unit, some googling led me to believe that the right setting was ‘63’, which I selected with the help of NCSExpert and NCSDummy. With the noise and some other odd characteristics I’ve noticed here and there, I decided to see if I could pull the original coding old broken unit today, in order to confirm I had the right option selected.

It took a bit, but I got there, and it turns out the original unit was coded with setting ‘65’. I made that adjustment to my replacement unit. It might be placebo, but I think the car rides better than it did with the unit set to ‘63’.

Rattle is still there though.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740i
    For the motor mounts, how was the install. My motor mounts and transmission mounts are original and sagging/cracking a bit. Seeing if it was worth the swap in the driveway or if I should have a shop do it.

Also the dreaded wiper blades.... that bosch assures me are the original way they manufactured them for BMW. I am hesitant to use them (luckily the need in Southern California is minimal) as I think after a few wipes, the drivers side one would go flying off.

Good about the ride, but the rattle... I have a similar clicking/rattle that sounds like it is coming from the driver's side AC vent that I have no idea how to even diagnose. Happens both when AC is on and off. Only happens when moving and there is vibration on the car. I have a feeling it is two pieces of plastic hitting one another.

My Cars
    01 740i,E93 M3,E30 325is
    I ended up buying a new OEM wiper for the drivers side, and then this one for the passenger side.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...r-blade-right/

It fits perfectly, looks OE (minus the little fin) and cleans really well, it doesn't hang over the edge either.

My Cars
    2000 740i/2003 530i
    I had to source OEM wiper blades from Egypt 2 years ago since they were on back order. The previous owner used Michelin wipers that chipped the paint on the hood (had the car painted after changing the wipers to OEM).

Quote Originally Posted by Btkeenan View Post
    For the motor mounts, how was the install. My motor mounts and transmission mounts are original and sagging/cracking a bit. Seeing if it was worth the swap in the driveway or if I should have a shop do it.

Also the dreaded wiper blades.... that bosch assures me are the original way they manufactured them for BMW. I am hesitant to use them (luckily the need in Southern California is minimal) as I think after a few wipes, the drivers side one would go flying off.

Good about the ride, but the rattle... I have a similar clicking/rattle that sounds like it is coming from the driver's side AC vent that I have no idea how to even diagnose. Happens both when AC is on and off. Only happens when moving and there is vibration on the car. I have a feeling it is two pieces of plastic hitting one another.
    For the motor mounts you can raise up the engine by jacking up the oil pan with a big piece of wood to prevent denting the pan itself. Remove the bolt from the top, and the 2 from the bottom (13mm). Wiggle out the old mount and slide it in. You can do this in your driveway easily. Same with the transmission mounts. The transmission mounts are a bit weirder to replace since they require an offset wrench. David Jones on youtube has helpful DIY tutorials on the engine and trans mounts that I used.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

My 2001 750iL 'Resto'

Gzilla is spot on. Engine mounts were a cinch.

I also did the tranny mounts (forgot to post about it?) and those were persnickety as hell. The facelift 750 is likely more crowded through that area then your 740, thanks to the e-cats. Lots of cursing and busted knuckles for me.
    Last edited by a777fan; 12-12-2022 at 09:37 PM.

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Quote Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
    I ended up buying a new OEM wiper for the drivers side, and then this one for the passenger side.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...r-blade-right/

It fits perfectly, looks OE (minus the little fin) and cleans really well, it doesn't hang over the edge either.
    The one that doesn’t work directly from bosch is the drivers side. The little plastic clip has its tab positioned incorrectly.

Do you have a drivers side blade that clicks in properly???

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL

I’ll be using your other thread and sending them an email on the blades. Nuts that they no longer make an adapter that fits!

This rattle is defo from the front end, and has a sound similar to a diving board, if that makes sense. Hollow, rattle-y, and it definitely has some heft to it, as i can feel a slight vibration through the steering/chassis at the same time.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast