Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GearMotive Dog Box Going In

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    So today I took the M3 out on the highways for a portion of the break-in miles. It's a hoot but the shift pattern [think 6-speed pattern with 1st gear on the GearMotive (https://gearmotive.com/en/product/bm...-speed-dogbox/) dog box where second is on a stock ZF or Getrag] took a little time to get used to. It snaps off shifts with a precision that's truly enjoyable. Next week the real test at Mid-Ohio.

Waiting on some fittings to connect the ZF case drain and fill plugs to the tranny cooling pump. Should be here Monday.

Feff
    Last edited by Feffman; 09-12-2021 at 07:24 AM.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    That's awesome. I bet it sounds ridiculous too. Makes me want to get a dog ring box in place of this garbage t56.

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by olemiss540 View Post
    That's awesome. I bet it sounds ridiculous too. Makes me want to get a dog ring box in place of this garbage t56.
    Happily, it's not as loud as I thought it would be but this may be a factor I'm used to the noise of the gutted car as it has no sound deadener. Little more mileage today, swap out fluid (Motul Gear 300 75W-90) and I'll be ready for Mid-Ohio.

Feff

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
    Happily, it's not as loud as I thought it would be but this may be a factor I'm used to the noise of the gutted car as it has no sound deadener. Little more mileage today, swap out fluid (Motul Gear 300 75W-90) and I'll be ready for Mid-Ohio.

Feff
    Sad I wont be there. I personally go full erect when the sound of straight cut gears at 7k rpm hits the mic. Just glorious and exactly the kind of noise I would want in the cabin.

Love watching the older racing videos with Porsches running them. Congrats and let us know how the track event goes.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I personally go full erect when the sound of straight cut gears at 7k rpm hits the mic. Just glorious and exactly the kind of noise I would want in the cabin.
    This was one of our e46 touring cars, sold a few years ago. I used to love driving it, and the sound was part of it (in this case, it was the diff). This was before we added the CAE shifter, and already it was pretty quick shifting (stock 6 speed 330i box). I also think gaining 7 sec after installing a DTC is laughable ... it's faster no doubt, but no way it's more than a few 10ths faster.

Check out the 8legs Racing page: https://www.facebook.com/8legsRacing/

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Quote Originally Posted by ScotcH View Post
    This was one of our e46 touring cars, sold a few years ago. I used to love driving it, and the sound was part of it (in this case, it was the diff). This was before we added the CAE shifter, and already it was pretty quick shifting (stock 6 speed 330i box). I also think gaining 7 sec after installing a DTC is laughable ... it's faster no doubt, but no way it's more than a few 10ths faster.
    Awesome vid and thanks for passing along. This kind of thing would make my dreams come true: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QZezP02Imc

Just crazy!!!!!

On the 7 seconds, I wasnt going to call Mike out just take it for one data point. I think it all depends on how proficient the driver is at a manual. You might only see a 2 or 3 second per lap improvement but I might have a 4 or 5 second improvement. Not only do you have a reduction in shift times, but ability to shift into a wider range of gears in a wider range of scenarios on track (mid-corner, etc) whereas with a standard box I might just keep my car in 3rd or 4th through a complex.

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    I knew it was going to be THAT vid before I even clicked

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    I'll never let go of my 4 speed. A real sequential may be a smidge faster but you get the satisfaction of rowing an H pattern, to moneyshift it you have to be trying to do it on purpose (it's detented into the 3-4 gate) and as I was told by GForce, the only real way to hurt it is to be slow and gentle (having the dogs clip before fully engaging). It's probably the single least buyer's remorse inducing purchases I've ever made

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Which gforce gearbox is that?

My Cars
    '86 325e, '14 VW EPA
    which gforce gearbox is that?
    gsr

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)

Wink

Mark, sorry for the hijack! Some had spoke about close ratios earlier.

I'm running an M42 turbo, ethanol, MegaSquirt with a ZF trans and a 4.10 diff.
    Here are the gear to speed ratio charts for the ZF and DCT. Not close ratio....but, better than stock.

ZF Trans
    ZF Output.JPG

DCT Trans
    DCT Output.JPG

I'm investigating how to keep the turbo spooled on upshifts for use with the DCT if I go that route.

I've also thought about going crazy with something like this for matching specific corner speeds to a track. https://racetechservicesinc.com/prod...hange-rear-end

Relatively Poor Man's Solution!
    Last edited by Damon in STL; 09-15-2021 at 06:26 PM.
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid
    My current car: e30 M342t Evolution

My Cars
    e90 M3,X5,e46 racer
    We used to run different diffs for different tracks with the ZF 5 speed. 3.91, 4.33, and I think a 4.88. Now we just run a 4.44 with a 6 speed, and honestly, can't tell difference is laptimes. Now of course turbo spool and the fun of quick change gears would be fun ... but we're getting too old for that shit

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Awesome info Damon. Exactly why I am intrigued let alone to eliminate mistakes thanks to the awful tranny setup in my current car.

My Cars
    '95 M3 IP #595, '07 Z4MC
    <a href="https://youtu.be/2sRMrkLXJkQ" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> https://youtu.be/2sRMrkLXJkQ

Here's a short clip of a lap around Barber Motorsports Park with a GearMotive dogbox.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Damon in STL View Post
    Here are the gear to speed ratio charts for the ZF and DCT. Not close ratio....but, better than stock.

ZF Trans
    ZF Output.JPG

DCT Trans
    DCT Output.JPG
    Damon, for giggles why don't you plug in the GearMotive dogbox ratios into your graphic.
    1st: 2.23
    2nd: 1.71
    3rd: 1.38
    4th: 1.16
    5th: 1.00

My Cars
    '88 e30 M3 (GTS2)
    Here is the dogbox with a 4.10 diff. What is missing on this chart is the after shift RPM to know where in the power band you are after upshifts (you can just draw a line down though). I've got a spreadsheet somewhere that shows me that data....but, haven't used it in 10yrs. The DCT appears to be a SLIGHTLY closer ratio (especially in the lower gears) than the dogbox.

Dog Leg Output.JPG
    Last edited by Damon in STL; 09-16-2021 at 07:35 AM.
    Damon in STL
    '88 e30 M3/M42t - GTS3 #72 - Motorcraft Ign., Volvo Injectors, Thrush Turbo Muffler, Open Source ECU, Aerospace Connectors, Lowes Polycarbonate, Alumacore Front Splitter and Rear Diffuser, Honda Radiator(s), Racer's Tape (white), Tornado, Various Stickers, Farm Implement Paint (gloss white), Nationwide Series Windshield (Fontana version), GMC Boost Solenoid
    My current car: e30 M342t Evolution

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    The maiden voyage at Mid-Ohio last weekend with the GearMotive (https://gearmotive.com/en/product/bm...-speed-dogbox/) dogbox 5-speed was a complete success and an absolute brilliant design. The up & downshifts are lightning fast. I chose to use the clutch on all downshifts and about 1/3 of the upshifts, moving to clutchless upshifts as the weekend progressed with more mileage on the box. They click off like a fine bolt-action rifle. I screwed up and had no video card in the AIM Smarty Cam. I'll try to get some video from Road America in October.

The breather vent line with a small air filter atop the vent line will be switched to a small vented catch can for easier and cleaner use. We didn't have the transmission fluid cooler hooked up because yours truly ordered the incorrect fittings for the ZF case drain/fill plugs but no issues. Said fittings and cooler will be completed this week with new Motul fluid.

It was really nice not having any issues with high RPM downshifts, notably 4th to 3rd, from the stock ZF 5-speed. The sound, well it's a bit like a jet engine on track. Ear plugs are a must, even inside my helmet with ear cups. 🏁

Feff

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Wait a minute. YOU FORGOT THE VIDEO CARD???!?!? After all this anticipation. Sadness.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Right?? No video? Didn't happen!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Wait a minute. YOU FORGOT THE VIDEO CARD???!?!? After all this anticipation. Sadness.
    Quote Originally Posted by aeronaut View Post
    Right?? No video? Didn't happen!
    I know right.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Too Many
    Feffman, any updates? Still happy with the transmission? Considering going with one myself

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CaneDVM View Post
    Feffman, any updates? Still happy with the transmission? Considering going with one myself
    Had a leak in the front seal which required a new input shaft seal. Easy out, replace seal and back in. So far, so good and yes, still happy with it. Off to Road America May 14th-15th.

I think SCCA racer Hugh Stewart at Hi-Speed Motorsports ( https://www.facebook.com/hispeedmotorsports) is racing a GearMotive dog box as well now.

Feff
    Last edited by Feffman; 05-01-2022 at 06:05 PM.

My Cars
    Too Many
    Quote Originally Posted by Feffman View Post
    Had a leak in the front seal which required a new input shaft seal. Easy out, replace seal and back in. So far, so good and yes, still happy with it. Off to Road America May 14th-15th.

I think SCCA racer Hugh Stewart at Hi-Speed Motorsports ( https://www.facebook.com/hispeedmotorsports) is racing a GearMotive dog box as well now.

Feff
    Feff,

Good deal! How was RA?

I ended up ordering a box from them; should be here next week. I know this was touched on earlier in the thread, but couldn't find if you mentioned it specifically for your car. What rear gear are you running? I'm putting this in a 318ti with a euro S50B32 swap, so similar-ish power band to an S54. 265/35/18 tires, was thinking 3.91 or 4.10. Car currently has a 3.46 in it that I think will be too tall.

My Cars
    '95m3(Avus)/996tt/4.8is
    Cant wait to see/hear this thing in action next month at OIR!!!!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by CaneDVM View Post
    Feff,

Good deal! How was RA?

I ended up ordering a box from them; should be here next week. I know this was touched on earlier in the thread, but couldn't find if you mentioned it specifically for your car. What rear gear are you running? I'm putting this in a 318ti with a euro S50B32 swap, so similar-ish power band to an S54. 265/35/18 tires, was thinking 3.91 or 4.10. Car currently has a 3.46 in it that I think will be too tall.
    Brian:

Road America required a new accelerator pedal and/or TPMS but for the limited driving, the new dual-plate clutch was good as was the gearbox. Autobahn in a few weeks for a (hopefully) thorough drive.

I'm running 3.91 gears. At one time, just after buying the M3, it had 4.10 in the rear end but I was running out of gearing at Road America, Road Atlanta and COTA. For me 4.10 was a little short. The 3.91 is a good sweet spot.

Feff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12