Thread: How to reset outside temp gauge - F32 M Sport

My Cars
    '14 435i/'02 C4S/'07 FJ

How to reset outside temp gauge - F32 M Sport

I have 2014 435i M Sport and recently went out of town for 6 weeks. I left my car in my carport with a car cover, and when I returned to start my car I noticed the outside temperature gauge reads - 40°. I've gone through the manuals and cannot figure out how this happened or how to reset.

Can someone please tell me how to reset this? Thanks!

My Cars
    '14 435i/'02 C4S/'07 FJ

Here's a pic of what I'm referring to....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TrafficJamZombi; 09-02-2021 at 01:59 PM.

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    You likely have a failure of your Outside Temp Sensor or it’s connection is wonky. The NTC resistor sensor is small plastic covered probe (accessed via the left front wheel arch cover) that’s connected by a 2-pin connector into your Front Engine Module (located near where you jumpstart under the hood) which routes the temp signal to your instrument cluster. The cluster sends the calculated ambient temp value to all the other units that need/use it.

If the temp sensor shorts to ground, it’ll display the Pos Temp extreme value, if it shorts to positive, it’ll display the Neg Temp extreme value. (you have the latter) . Maybe it’s loose, or it’s connection has an issue or else it’s failed. Try reading/clearing codes or perhaps resetting the FEM might restore it..?
    Last edited by visionaut; 09-02-2021 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    '14 435i/'02 C4S/'07 FJ
    Thanks so much for this feedback. I will try reading & clearing the codes tomorrow and provide an update. Many thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
    You likely have a failure of your Outside Temp Sensor or it’s connection is wonky. The NTC resistor sensor is small plastic covered probe (accessed via the left front wheel arch cover) that’s connected by a 2-pin connector into your Front Engine Module (located near where you jumpstart under the hood) which routes the temp signal to your instrument cluster. The cluster sends the calculated ambient temp value to all the other units that need/use it.

If the temp sensor shorts to ground, it’ll display the Pos Temp extreme value, if it shorts to positive, it’ll display the Neg Temp extreme value. (you have the latter) . Maybe it’s loose, or it’s connection has an issue or else it’s failed. Try reading/clearing codes or perhaps resetting the FEM might restore it..?

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Mice?
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    BMW X5
    Thanks for the suggestions in this thread! my outside temperature gauge was also not working for some time. Then I read here that it might help clean the coder, which helped. I thought that the gauge was broken, but it turns out that it was not the problem itself.
    Now it can show the difference in shadow and under the sun. It also shows that the temperature is much lower under my insulated colorbond carport, which means that it works and does protect the car from the sun. Building a proper garage near my house was impossible, so I decided to go for a carport. It is mostly hot in our area, and the main thing the car needs to be protected is the sun.
    Last edited by YourExpress; 07-26-2022 at 08:29 AM.

My Cars
    '14 435i/'02 C4S/'07 FJ
    Quote Originally Posted by khammack View Post
    Mice?
    HAH i neglected to update this thread because I'd been traveling so much. I finally was able to get the car over to an independent shop who verified the issues was caused by rats nesting in my engine compartment and had chewed through these wires. I was VERY lucky it wasn't worse as this was the only area they chewed up, and there wasn't any other damage done.

While I do park in a gated, secure, covered carport, this obviously is going to be an ongoing issue as I do travel for work. I've since been able to get my apartment manager to install traps all around the grounds, and specifically got one right where my car is parked. Hoping this won't happen again...i have a sweet deal on this apt here in the Bay Area and would hate to move.