Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suspension choices

My Cars
    1992 525it
    Copied from Amazon ad for 312 393

This product fits this position on your 1992 BMW 525i:

• Front

Notes: INSERT~E34 BODY - ALL w/SPORT SUSPENSION (w/LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/SPORT SUSPENSION (w/o LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/STANDARD SUSPENSION (w/LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/STANDARD SUSPENSION (w/o LEVELING SUSPENSION)~E34 BODY - ALL w/M-TECHNIC

My Cars
    Many E34's
    Quote Originally Posted by xcastaway View Post
    Copied from Amazon ad for 312 393

This product fits this position on your 1992 BMW 525i:

• Front

Notes: INSERT~E34 BODY - ALL w/SPORT SUSPENSION (w/LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/SPORT SUSPENSION (w/o LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/STANDARD SUSPENSION (w/LEVELING SUSPENSION) - ALL w/STANDARD SUSPENSION (w/o LEVELING SUSPENSION)~E34 BODY - ALL w/M-TECHNIC
    That add is incorrect.

These absorbers may work with those, but they are definately not the absorbers made for m-tech/ lowered springs.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1992 525it
    They most definitely work, quite well, and I did point out to the OP that he should consider using the other ones and the V3 top mount when he makes his purchase. I got mine lightly used, and very cheaply, and mentioned them to him as alternatives to Koni and Bilstein for a decent ride and excellent function. I'm guessing Sachs are not as sensitive to spring length, so their struts work either way.

My Cars
    Sundry old Grrrrmans
    It sounds like some folks in this thread need to revisit a certain de-bunked myth about lowering springs on stock-length shocks... (from E34.net and confirmed by outside, impartial engineers as well):

"There is a long held myth about so called lowering shocks or shocks designed for lowering springs with reduced travel versus shocks designed for standard or taller springs. The best way to visualize it without physically looking at the shocks side by side is...the only tangible difference is the stroke is shorter in a shock designed expressly for a lowering spring...the throw is shorter. Full jounce position or fully compressed shock position is exactly the same...that is the critical factor for bottoming...where the jounce bumper fully compresses onto the top of the strut collar nut threaded onto the strut housing...that shoulder position is the same for either shock and each shock will identically compress into its cartridge casing. With a standard Boge shock lets say..the throw of the rod internal to the shock is a bit longer..that's all...so the shock is cabable of "extending" farther...at full suspension rebound or when the suspension arms are fully down with a taller spring. With a shorter spring..you don't need a longer throw shock...however..this is the important part...Is putting a standard Boge with longer travel with a lowering spring bad? Absolutely not...you just end up not using the full travel capability of standard shock with a shorter lowering spring... that's all. All the speculation of a standard shock..say Boge..wearing out faster with a lowering spring...is a myth."

Like others, I've purposely run full-length shocks with lowering springs on these cars off and on for 8 years. It still doesn't beat an elegant, street-friendly coil over system, but it sure beats the lack of travel with shorter shocks and springs, especially on American roads.
    - Brent
    www.angry-ass.com

Quote Originally Posted by danespann View Post
    Every E34 needs the same things in the end.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Thanks, I'll look into these.

Quote Originally Posted by OrientblauACS View Post
    The Bilsteins ( AC Schnitzer Nürburgring Spec) on my Sedan finally gave out some months ago after 28 years of daily service. I replaced them with the Sachs M-tech absorbers #312392 Front and #290779 Rear. These absorbers are made for lowered springs. The Sachs absorbers are a bit softer then the Bilsteins were, yet still very sporty and responsive. I find them very comfortable for daily driving and also up to par for the times I can’t resist drifting around the traffic circles. The Bilsteins were Sporty but not the most comfortable for daily driving. The springs I have installed, are the AC Schnitzer Springs.

On my touring I have the Sachs Super-Touring absorbers paired with the Eibach Pro kit springs, it is a comfortable and well balanced, however the car is a family hauler and does not see much in the way of sporty driving.

I have had coilovers on some other cars (E46, R32, TT) they are great for the track and sporty driving but I find them uncomfortable for prolonged daily use.

- - - Updated - - -

The Sachs-312-393 are made for Standard springs and not for lowered ones, they are not the M-tech ones.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12