BAVToys

Thread: Canbus cancellers only work when LEDs are on?

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy

Canbus cancellers only work when LEDs are on?

Hey folks,

I recently baked open and upgraded my E39's headlights. I replaced the projectors with Evo 2.0s and also took the chance to install a set of "cotton" LED halos (https://www.ebay.com/itm/312284929379). I wired them as parking lights (same as the stock halos) but weirdly, the cancellers (not even sure if they are canbus tbh - I took them apart and they do seem considerably more complex than just a simple resistor) that came with the halos only remove the bulb out error when the LEDs are on. More precisely: the brief bulb check pulse that the LCM generates is not enough to get rid of the error. The halos need constant current to work properly. As soon as I turn the parking lights off, the error eventually comes back (takes a minute or so). I guess they were designed just for DRLs that are meant to be on at all times.

I can't code the hot/cold check out since I have an LCM II and I need at least an LCM IV and I really, really lack the skills and motivation to go down that rabbit hole just for that. Perhaps someone here has had to deal with a similar behavior in the past and there's a solution? I mean, it's not the end of the world but my car is error-free otherwise. I thought of adding simple load resistors just before the existing cancellers but I'm concerned about putting stress on the LCM or the wiring.

These are the cancellers:

Headlights in question:
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 08-24-2021 at 06:34 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor