Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Clutch ideas? UUC says mine isn't "right" for my application

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    Good to see this "clutch ideas" thread talking about clutches again...

My 540i with the Dinan blower setup needs a better clutch. I can't do a hard launch or it slips badly. Not considering UUC after reading through this thread! Is the consensus still a LuK 540 flywheel and M5 clutch?
    For me the stock flywheel and M5 clutch is the way to go. For others, I've seen a lot of variation. Do what you think is best for you is what I think it comes down to.

Just like manual tranny fluid. I went stock and it seems to perform best of all the others I tried, redline, royal purple, etc. Same for the rear diff. Tried the same list of options, ended up back with stock and liking it most.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Same thing that will make you smile will make you cry. Was that a piston?

My Cars
    03 540i6 5.5ish PSI
    If I had to do the clutch again, I might be wishy-washy on the Unicorn if $$ was a factor. If $$ is no object, then Unicorn all day. As for the pressure plate and disk, I'd do exactly the same, I like the setup. If you want revvy and don't mind the rattle, you could probably do a lightweight and this clutch setup and be in really good shape. I really doubt lightweight FW = faster car though, just revvier car. I'm having no problems rev matching with the Unicorn.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by H3adBussa View Post
    Motor mounts are super easy. Put the car on jack stands. Remove plastic lower engine cover. From top of engine remove nuts to top of the mounts. Place jack under oil pan with a block of wood or some type of buffer and lift the engine a bit (don't go too high!, go slow and make sure nothing is breaking) . Check for engine mount clearance and when you think you can get the mount out, (from under the car) remove the two bottom mount nuts (bolts?) for each side and pull the mounts out. Replace. Installation is reverse of removal. Don't know the torque specs off hand. I used M5 engine mounts last time I changed them in hopes of firming them up a bit.

I'm a total bonehead for not doing them while I was under the car for 5 months. I remember looking at them 11 times and thinking "what are those? I'll have to research them". I think when I start the SC project, I'll pull the shroud and fan, then climb under and do the mounts, then get back to work under the hood. Should I do stockers or try to round up poly? I didn't see any poly on ECS, haven't checked FCP yet. My trans and diff mounts are poly already.

My Cars
    03 540i6 M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by ThaDoubleJ View Post

I'm a total bonehead for not doing them while I was under the car for 5 months. I remember looking at them 11 times and thinking "what are those? I'll have to research them". I think when I start the SC project, I'll pull the shroud and fan, then climb under and do the mounts, then get back to work under the hood. Should I do stockers or try to round up poly? I didn't see any poly on ECS, haven't checked FCP yet. My trans and diff mounts are poly already.
    Really up to you. Poly if you can and want to. I'd stick with stock but I mostly like stock bits when it comes to comfort.

Same thing that will make you smile will make you cry. Was that a piston?

My Cars
    03 540i6 5.5ish PSI
    I ordered the stock corteco (SP?) ones from FCP, I couldn't find poly but I did find something similar to delrin, pretty much solid, that's race car stuff.

My Cars
    03 540i6 5.5ish PSI
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCharles View Post
    Good to see this "clutch ideas" thread talking about clutches again...

My 540i with the Dinan blower setup needs a better clutch. I can't do a hard launch or it slips badly. Not considering UUC after reading through this thread! Is the consensus still a LuK 540 flywheel and M5 clutch?
    I don't know if anyone answered, but after a couple hundred miles, I'm liking this setup. Pedal effort isn't excessive (I don't notice it, local indy shop mentioned it though). I won't know until next year if it can keep up with real boost since the altitude has me nuetered to just a couple lbs right now, but ZF/Sachs claims something like 450 or 500 lb/ft which I'll never make, so I think I'll be good.

I wouldn't recommend whatever fluid I used in a DD though, 1st and 2nd are tough anywhere under 60 degrees. Once some heat gets into the trans though, all gears row nicely. Would probably be unusable in freezing weather.
    Last edited by ThaDoubleJ; 05-27-2022 at 01:03 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567