Thread: First "Modern" BMW Question

My Cars
    Sold: '97 M3, '03 M5

First "Modern" BMW Questions

Howdy all!

(Feel free to skip to the questions if you don't feel like reading through the background.)

I've owned a number of BMW's in my time ('94 325, '97 M3, '03 M5) and worked on even more (a few E30s, a 2002, etc.) but I've never owned one of the more "modern" cars. Now that I'm a "responsible father" and all that, my time to play with cars is drastically reduced. Additionally, I'm now back to commuting over 100 miles/day and my truck just ain't cutting it. With those things in mind and with a limited budget, I've been looking to track down a new daily driver that can also fill in a bit when I just need to toss a car into a corner. At almost 2,000 miles/month I need something fuel efficient and not insane to maintain. Yeah, I need a civic but it isn't going to happen.

My search down the VW TDI rabbit hole led me to the 328D or 535D and I kind of zeroed in on the 328D. However, after a few weeks of searching for the car I want (primarily needs to have the M-Sport package) I've realized I'm after a bit of a unicorn. Then I got to thinking about the 328i which seems to still get good MPG and could potentially be cheaper to maintain thanks to having a more "mainstream" engine.

A few questions:
    1. I hear horror stories about how much of the driving experience has been lost in modern BMWs. Am I going to get any of that "joy of driving" I got from my E36 and E39?
    2. Similarly, I hear these things are impossible to work on yourself. Is that true and am I going to be running into insane maintenance bills?
    3. Most of the cars I am finding which are in my price point are 2014-2016 cars with somewhere between 50-70k miles. Does that raise any red flags for either the 328d or 328i? I plan to keep this car for a while so any car I get will likely eventually need to be running reliably at well over 100k miles.
    4. In general, any thoughts on these as a daily driver with the long commute? It's actually not a bad commute as it's a straight shot up the coast on Highway 1 from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay. Rarely any traffic so I set the cruise control at 60 and know I'll see my destination in an hour.
    5. Based on current prices, the 328D would save me roughly $70/month in fuel costs over the 328i. That's $840/year but would additional costs of maintenance wash out that savings?
    Last edited by cavilry; 08-23-2021 at 11:46 AM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

First "Modern" BMW Question

I’ll give you some personal opinion answers, since I’ve traveled a similar path, and have owned an E30 318i, E36 M3 (still have), E34 525iT, E39 525i, and now an F30 328i.

Quote Originally Posted by cavilry View Post
    Howdy all!

(Feel free to skip to the questions if you don't feel like reading through the background.)

A few questions:
    1. I hear horror stories about how much of the driving experience has been lost in modern BMWs. Am I going to get any of that "joy of driving" I got from my E36 and E39?
    Driving the F30 is definitely more refined than the older cars. It is also similar in size to the E39. The electric power steering has less feel than the old hydraulic systems. And the suspension is much softer. But my only issue that I will address is the suspension, once I determine a proper setup for it. Otherwise, I am happy with this modernized BMW model. Also, the eight-speed ZF auto transmission is very good. And if you put the car in Sport mode, the shifts are crisper, and the engine is more responsive.

1. Similarly, I hear these things are impossible to work on yourself. Is that true and am I going to be running into insane maintenance bills?
    I have done oil change, brakes (pads, rotors, fluid) filters. I plan on replacing auto trans fluid/pan/filter myself, as well as the suspension. One issue with some other components is that there are computerized systems that need to be reset, so you would need something to do that (I don’t have anything like that). I imagine that with an OBDII connection and a program on a laptop computer, you could achieve much of this functionality.

1. Most of the cars I am finding which are in my price point are 2014-2016 cars with somewhere between 50-70k miles. Does that raise any red flags for either the 328d or 328i? I plan to keep this car for a while so any car I get will likely eventually need to be running reliably at well over 100k miles.
    Our 328i is a 2014, and had 27k miles on it when purchased in 2017. It was also a CPO car, with warranty extended another year. The major red flag with this car is the N20 engine, which has issues with the timing chain, chain guides, and tensioner. If they break, it can destroy your engine. There’s a Class Action lawsuit against BMW because of it. I would suggest looking for a newer LCI car (2015 or later), and make sure it has the newer B48 engine. I can’t comment on diesel vs petrol since I don’t have any experience with the diesel.

1. In general, any thoughts on these as a daily driver with the long commute? It's actually not a bad commute as it's a straight shot up the coast on Highway 1 from Santa Cruz to Half Moon Bay. Rarely any traffic so I set the cruise control at 60 and know I'll see my destination in an hour.
    My wife uses the 328i as a daily driver, but for about half the distance you’ll be driving it. On the highway, if you’re moving, you can get pretty good fuel economy. Not sure about a commute in your area, though. But as far as top fuel economy, driving on I-10, San Antonio to Tucson, with Economy Modes enabled and cruise control set at 75 mph, I was seeing 34-35 mpg.

1. Based on current prices, the 328D would save me roughly $70/month in fuel costs over the 328i. That's $840/year but would additional costs of maintenance wash out that savings?
    Again, no experience with diesel.

-rb
    Last edited by RBNetEngr; 08-23-2021 at 03:58 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by RBNetEngr View Post
    I’ll give you some personal opinion answers, since I’ve traveled a similar path, and have owned an E30 318i, E36 M3 (still have), E34 525iT, E39 525i, and now an F30 328i.

-rb
    Thank you very much for your insights, that is sincerely appreciated! This car doesn't meet the later engine requirement, but I have to say I'm pretty smitten. My favorite color and the right packages. I'd planned to go see it this afternoon but perhaps I'm jumping the gun? https://www.capitolmazda.com/invento...3c1c54ek107742

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe

First "Modern" BMW Question

I didn’t see it in the features list, but I’m pretty sure this car has the M-Tech (or whatever they called it) package, that includes Sport suspension (firmer springs, bigger swaybars, lower ride height) and has bigger brakes, too. That was a nice package.

But that definitely has the N20 engine.

I asked a local independent BMW shop how much they would charge to replace the timing chain, guides and tensioner, as a precaution against failure, and they quoted around $5k.

-rb

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    I’m super pleased with my 2016 4-series — 435iX Gran Coupe. My other Bimmer is a hot-rodded ‘76 2002. They both can deliver the Freude am Fahren, even if 40 years apart. Heck, I even love the Sport Auto ZF8…

I had to get the turbo inline 6, and I can still get 30+mpg hwy.

I got mine CPO, it’s an x-drive M Sport, and it’s very well optioned - but the options that make me smile most in the twisties are in the THP package - M Brakes, M Adaptive Suspension and the Variable Sport Steering.

I’m just out of warranty- but I do my own oil & filters, tires/wheels/brakes, coolant and other typ maintenance myself. I’ve also done several performance mods myself - including engine HW upgrades (intercooler, charge pipe, intake, oil thermostat) and custom ECU coding (via Bimmercode) and Engine Flash tuning (via MHD).

Re: your 5 Qs:
    1. Many of the newer Bimmers are more sedate. Get one with with the right sport options and you can be happy.
    2. If you’re mechanically inclined there’s still many things you can DIY. Computer savvy too, then more. But I have to say there’s WAY more I can’t do myself anymore. Get a good BMW-model specific code reader/writer, and buy Torx sockets/drivers.
    3. Avoid any cars that have heavy mods and ECU tunes unless you know the PO was responsible and did things right. As for the general engine - N26 is nice improvement over N20, and the B48 more so. Check/change the timing chain and related bits on any N20 seems prudent.
    4. On longer drives, putting it in Comfort or Eco-Pro will work great. If you use it the Adaptive Cruise is a nice option too.
    5. With the Diesel you have to run DEF, that was a big turnoff to me. And I couldn’t figure any real fuel savings given costs, only less fuel options.
    Last edited by visionaut; 08-24-2021 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Typos…

My Cars
    Y'all are legends, thank you very much for the additional information. Well, against my better judgement I'm going to go look at the 328i this afternoon. Which means, knowing myself, I will likely become smitten with the car and buy it. There just haven't been any 328i's with the "right" packages that have come up in my price range (this one is even slightly outside of it). But they offered a 3-year bumper to bumper warranty (yeah yeah, I know) which is enticing. I "decoded" the VIN and this was the result I got back. Assuming this is correct, the car seems pretty "fully loaded."

Type 3C13
    Model 328i
    Vehicle History Get a car report instantly!
    Market USA
    Development Code F30
    Chassis Sedan
    Steering left
    Doors 4
    Engine N26
    Displacement 2.00 l
    Power 180 kW
    Drivetrain Rear-Wheel Drive
    Transmission automatic
    Color Estoril-blau Metallic - B45
    Upholstery Leder "dakota"/schwarz - LCSW
    Manufacturer BMW AG
    Mileage Show mileage of this vehicle
    Production Plant Munich, Germany
    Production Date 2013-09-16
    1CA Selection Cop Relevant Vehicles Selektion Cop Relevanter Fahrzeuge
    1CB Co2 Content Co2 Umfang
    216 Servotronic Servotronic
    249 Multi-function For Steering Wheel Multifunktion Fuer Lenkrad
    258 Runflat Tyres Bereifung Mit Notlaufeigenschaften
    2NH M Sportbrake M Sportbremse
    2PE 18"m Lt/aly Wheels Star Sp. 400m/mt 18"m Lm Raeder Sternsp.400 M/mb
    2TB Sport Automatic Transmission Sport-automatik Getriebe
    2VB Tyre Pressure Indicator Reifendruckanzeige
    302 Alarm System Alarmanlage
    319 Integrated Universal Remote Control Integrierte Universal-fernbedienung
    322 Comfort Access System Komfortzugang
    337 M Sport Package M Sportpaket
    3AG Backup Camera Rueckfahrkamera
    3DZ Without Additional Designation Outs Entfall Zusatz-schriftzug Aussen
    403 Glas Roof, Electric Glasdach, Elektrisch
    423 Floor Mats, Velour Fussmatten In Velours
    430 Interior And Exterior Mirror Packa Innen- Und Aussenspiegelpaket
    431 Interior Rr Vw Mirror W Aut Anti-d Innenspiegel,automatisch Abblendend
    459 Seat Adjustm., Electr. W. Memory Sitzverstellung, Elektr.mit Memory
    465 Through-load System Durchladesystem
    481 Sport Seats F Driver/front Passenger Sportsitze Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    488 Lumbar Support Driver/front Passenger Lordosenstuetze Fahrer/beifahrer
    493 Storage Compartment Package Ablagenpaket
    494 Seat Heating F Driver/front Passenger Sitzheizung Fuer Fahrer/beifahrer
    4DX High.trim Fin. Blue Met. Matt Akzentleisten Blau Met. Matt
    4MR Int. Tr. Fin. Aluminium Hexagon Interieurleisten Aluminium Hexagon
    4NE Blow-by-heater Blow-by-heizer
    508 Park Distance Control (pdc) Park Distance Control (pdc)
    521 Rain Sensor Regensensor
    522 Xenon Light Xenon-licht
    524 Adaptive Headlights Adaptives Kurvenlicht
    534 Automatic Air Conditioning Klimaautomatik
    544 Cruise Control With Braking Function Geschwindigkeitsregel. Mit Bremsf.
    563 Lights Package Lichtpaket
    575 Additional 12v Power Socket Zusaetzliche 12-v-steckdose
    5AG Lane Change Warning Spurwechselwarnung
    5AS Driving Assistant Driving Assistant
    5DL Surround View Surround View
    5DS Luggage-compartment Emerg. Release Kofferraumnotentriegelung
    609 Navigation System Professional Navigationssystem Professional
    610 Head Up Display Head-up Display
    645 Radio Control Us Radio-steuerung Us
    655 Satellite Radio Satellitentuner
    688 Harman/kardon Surround Sound System Harman/kardon Surround Sound System
    697 Area-code 1 Area-code 1
    6AC Intelligent Emergency Call Intelligenter Notruf
    6AE Teleservices Teleservices
    6AK Connecteddrive Services Connecteddrive Services
    6AM Real Time Traffic Information Real Time Traffic Information
    6AP Remote Services Remote Services
    6NR Apps Apps
    6NS Enhanced Telephony With Extended Sm Komforttelefonie Mit Erw. Smartphon
    6WA Instrument Cluster W. Extended Cont Instrumentenkombi. M. Erw. Umf.
    704 M Sport Suspension M Sportfahrwerk
    710 M Leather Steering Wheel M Lederlenkrad
    715 M Aerodynamics Package M Aerodynamikpaket
    760 Individual High-gloss Satin Chrome Individual Hochglanz Shadow Line
    775 Individual Roof-lining Anthracite Individual Dachhimmel Anthrazit
    823 Hot Climate Version Heissland-ausfuehrung
    840 High Speed Synchronisation Hochgeschwindigkeitsabstimmung
    845 Acoustic Belt Warning Akustische Gurtwarnung
    853 Language Version English Sprachversion Englisch
    876 Radio Frequency 315 Mhz Funkfrequenz 315 Mhz
    8KL Oelserviceint. 15.000km/12months Oelwartungsint. 15.000km/12monate
    8S4 Decoding Variable Light Distributio Decodierung Variable Lichtverteilun
    8TH Speed Limit Info Speed Limit Info
    8TN Daytime Driving Lights Selectable B Tagfahrlicht Ueber Lichtmenue Einst
    925 Shipping Protection Package Versandschutzpaket
    992 Number Plate Attachement Management Steuerung Kennzeichenbefestigung
    993 Model Year Code Modelljahrescode
    9AA External Skin Protection Aussenhautschutz

My Cars
    '76 2002,'16 435iX GC
    Yeah, that looks pretty nicely optioned. The M Brakes are outstanding. The Adaptive Xenons are great - so much better than the regular Halogens (even better than the new LEDs). The HUD is a nice extra. M Sport suspension is well-regarded.

Looks like that interior might be kinda unique.

Check the ConnnectedDrive services to see if the car is eligible for the free BMW Telematics upgrade offer (to replace 3G modem, since 3G phases out 2/22).

Good luck!

My Cars
    Well, just to close the loop on this I did go see the car yesterday afternoon. In general, I was most definitely impressed. The "split personality" enabled by the various drive modes was great and seemed like it would fit my desire to find a "do it all" car. Something for commuting, date nights with the wife, the occasional twisty road, etc. That said, there were some parts of the car I did not like as much as I thought I might have. I don't know if I'm getting old or just used to driving my truck for the last year+ (first time without a car in my life!) but the driving position just wasn't as comfortable as I would have liked. I know there are endless adjustments but I couldn't get it quite right, and considering I sit in the car for 2.5 hours/day, that's important.

In the end though, the deal breaker came down to all of the fancy features. I remember having to dig into the electronics on my E39 and it was a chore. I can't imagine what it would be like on an F30. We're trying to make California work on one income and it seemed irresponsible to buy the car without a warranty given the potential for costly repairs. The warranty offered was $5,000 for 3 years and they just wouldn't budge on either the warranty cost or the car cost. I ended up walking with the promise I'd let them know today but after thinking about it, I think I might have to pass. The plan will be to save some more money (and hope it doesn't get wiped out by another kiddo hospital visit) and hopefully track down a newer M Sport from BMW CPO in a year or so.

Thank you guys again for your insights on this!

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    The electronics aren't a disaster in the F30 chassis, but I guess there can be issues. In my opinion, the E39 had more failures with that GM module.

N47 diesel is a gem of an engine.
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    Z3 / f33 435 / 325 e46

Need help

Idk if you guys can help but am new here don’t even know how to make new post yet but here we go am looking to find out a production number on my Z3 it’s 2001 Dakar yellow 3.0 5speed brown extended interior (not cinnamon) with the beige top Msport package any help would be great thanks