Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M5 Touring Build - E39 540iT with an S62

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)

M5 Touring Build - E39 540iT with an S62

Hey Guys,

I am in the process of S62 swapping my 540iT, and wanted to reach out to the forums for some ideas and help. I purchased a 2003 M5 that was crashed with rear end damage, and I intend to put the whole drivetrain in my touring. Thankfully, I have a facelift touring (2001) and I am currently awaiting for my M5 to be delivered to me from Copart. Still up in the air right now convincing the family to leave some parts around - but 90% there.

Some things I haven't been able to work out yet are:

1. Engine coding / DME - I reached out to Fixels but I haven't heard back. Does anyone know of a shop or trustworthy person that could help me out with programming? ( I am in the easy bay area)
    2. Does anyone have any experience with scrapping old shells of cars?

Everything is in motion, but logistically this presents a nightmare - especially doing it in my driveway/front yard. If you have any tips and thoughts please let me know below. I have already seen Paul's write up on S62 swaps and e39's. But, if you know of any other nuances or things that I should be aware of that would help - please let me know!

Thanks,

Jack

IMG_7005.jpg3.jpeg10.jpeg5.jpeg

My Cars
    2002 525i Touring
    subscribed

I am a year or two away from an S62 / S85 conversion myself as well

Generally you can drop off a shell at a scrap yard and you will get like $200-$500 for the scrap price once you strip it in the past

Speed Academy has a great series with lots of cool information

Last edited by JN Garage; 08-25-2021 at 12:16 PM.
    Joey

2002 525i Touring M5T Project
    2002 Subaru Wrx Sti Touring Project
    2013 VW Touareg TDI EPA Nightmare

Build log
    https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...M5T-Conversion

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Hey Joey, Thanks for the reply!

I actually watched the entire speed academy video series - that is how I found out about "Fixels" (Paul) and wrote down everything I thought useful from the series.

That is the plan for the shell, but it'll be sitting in my yard for quite some time as I don't want to get rid of it until I'm fully finished with it. Just waiting for the M5 to be delivered to me, dealing with an absolute logistical nightmare with Copart and their third party shipping contractors. Car was picked up in Colorado yesterday morning but, they basically don't want to deliver the car to my house because the right rear wheel is off so i have to figure out how I am going to navigate that. Copart said I'm on my own - even though they are contractually obligated to deliver it and unload it.

Time to get creative!

Jack

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Not sure if anyone else will follow along, but I figured why not keep at it because it's fun.

I got my M5 delivered today, and boy was it rough. Always the joy of buying a car sight unseen, but hey i'm already balls deep so time to keep going.

Found out the front suspension was also completely destroyed, but all 4 BC Racing coil overs seem to be in good shape somehow. Someone really slammed this thing hard, as seeing all of the control arms and everything sheered in half. Getting it to my house with a skid steer was a nightmare but we managed it, and started to take a few things apart and give it a look when I got it on jack stands. Oil pan had a massive crack in it, and no oil. I wanted to send a sample to blackstone labs to get analyzed but that is definitely not happening. Already planning on taking the engine out and doing rod bearings so I'm not too worried about it. I was curious though if anyone knew if 540i oil pans are the same and could be used on an S62. The price of an upper oil pan on FCP euro was over $1k and I couldn't find any other upper pans. Might be worth fixing, if anyone has any experience with that let me know. But, I think it is too far gone.

Engine seemed to actually be pretty healthy, the air filters were clean, had a new radiator and coolant, and i peeked in the valve cover and it didn't smell like gasoline and looked pristine in there. Other than the crash damage, it seemed to be taken care of (besides the exterior as well). Interior was super clean and I was shocked the seats looked so nice, and the headliner looked brand new. Also for whatever reason someone took all the nuts off of the edge of the plenum, no idea why but peeked in there as well and a little oil but looked clean as well.

Anyways, if anyone has any insight on the oil pan situation please let me know!

Jack
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '99 LS-swapped 323i vert
    Re: the M5: SLAM!

Nice project, good luck!
    Diving in at the shallow end!

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Didn't do a whole lot today besides take off the exhaust in preparation for dropping the driveshaft/diff. Only have time after work right now to work on the thing so it is slow but promising. Whoever did the exhaust was... let's say creative. Found out there was a Super Sprint X pipe in there, with a capped off cut-off. Probably not going to use it, so if you want it lmk.

IMG_7827.jpgIMG_7828.jpgIMG_7829.jpgIMG_7831.jpgIMG_7832.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    What in the heck is that for? The only thing I can think is maybe a muffler bypass? But why take it out of the center of the X? That's going to hurt the scavenging effect provided by the X-pipe even when the pipe is plugged like that

Idiots ruined a perfectly good X-pipe

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post
    What in the heck is that for? The only thing I can think is maybe a muffler bypass? But why take it out of the center of the X? That's going to hurt the scavenging effect provided by the X-pipe even when the pipe is plugged like that

Idiots ruined a perfectly good X-pipe
    I have no idea, funny enough I found an ad for the car a few years ago. It stated that it was a Super Sprint x-pipe, with a "cutout". No idea why they did it that way or what went through their brain when they did. But pretty much makes it useless and scrap unfortunately, along with almost all of the exhaust. It's one of those things that the longer you look at it, the more you question it and get confused.

I'll attach a screenshot of the ad with the alleged SuperSprint x-pipe mention. Also, the "custom" side, front, and rear splitters was pieces of carbon self tapped/double side taped to the body lol.
    For Sale '17 #2.png

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Coming along nicely, preparing to pull the engine/trans early next week once i get ahold of an engine hoist/stand.

I should only really have to disconnect the heater core, fuel lines, and wiring harness if I am not mistaken? Should there be anything else to look out for/disconnect? I'll be pulling the trans with it, so I'm going to disconnect the driveshaft, shifter, and slave cylinder. But other than that, I can't think of anything else that would need to be taken out. If anyone has any thoughts on anything I'm missing please let me know! I am definitely not trying to test the strength of any of the wires/lines lol.

IMG_7903.jpg

My Cars
    1996 LS M3 2019 Mini JCW
    @Jacks e30. Can’t wait to see the car. I drove this e34 touring with an S62 swap and it was amazing. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...30i-touring-5/ Guy is one of the owners of a shop in Moraga (east bay) The exhaust was just awesome . Good Luck with the build

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Quote Originally Posted by mellostock View Post
    @Jacks e30. Can’t wait to see the car. I drove this e34 touring with an S62 swap and it was amazing. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...30i-touring-5/ Guy is one of the owners of a shop in Moraga (east bay) The exhaust was just awesome . Good Luck with the build
    Small world, I live maybe 10 minutes away from there! I feel like I may have seen it around before, but wasn't aware of the S62.

That exhaust does look nice as well, something that I have been pondering with my build - since touring's run a full size spare and the M5 has the fix a flat BS. I've seen a lot of people cut holes and hack up the rear, but I was actually thinking of leaving it somewhat stock and just doing an exhaust to one side for a sleeper ish look. I just know that down the road I'll probably be pissed I didn't run the M5 bumpers, but for now I'll just run my stock bumpers on the touring and probably do some cat back exhaust.

Hopefully this will be done relatively soon (fingers crossed) and I'll probably take it to a few car meets so you can maybe see it in person!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacks e30
    Coming along nicely, preparing to pull the engine/trans early next week once i get ahold of an engine hoist/stand.

I should only really have to disconnect the heater core, fuel lines, and wiring harness if I am not mistaken? Should there be anything else to look out for/disconnect? I'll be pulling the trans with it, so I'm going to disconnect the driveshaft, shifter, and slave cylinder. But other than that, I can't think of anything else that would need to be taken out. If anyone has any thoughts on anything I'm missing please let me know! I am definitely not trying to test the strength of any of the wires/lines lol.
    If exhaust is off, A/C is disconnected as in the picture... the only other thing that comes to mind is you may have to remove the power steering high pressure supply line from pump to steering box.
    You could also leave em with their chassis - unbolt the pump from the engine and bolt the one from the touring onto the S62 when reinstalled.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    If exhaust is off, A/C is disconnected as in the picture... the only other thing that comes to mind is you may have to remove the power steering high pressure supply line from pump to steering box.
    You could also leave em with their chassis - unbolt the pump from the engine and bolt the one from the touring onto the S62 when reinstalled.
    I still have the headers on the engine, I've seen them taken out with the headers on - but if it is easier to remove it with them off I can just remove them. Good point about the high pressure line, didn't come to mind since most removals I've seen are people dropping the engine with the subframe and things still attached.

I'm just wanting to get the thing out so I can assess it more and begin to order the parts I need. Gonna be a hefty bill from FCP Euro

My Cars
    z3
    You can remove it with the headers, you just need the exhaust disconnected from the headers, which I believe you have already done

I have an S62 on a stand I was building but the machine shop near me doesnt do hydraulic lifters apparently so I'm up a creek without a paddle so to speak. A lot of the S62 parts were not in stock - I ordered them and waited for them to arrive for months in a couple cases. If theres anything they dont have in stock, I may be able to help if you are in a rush...
    Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 09-03-2021 at 11:33 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    98 m3
    nice project, I can help you with the tuning if you need. Message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1989 535i - sold
    1999 M3 Tiag/Dove - sold
    1998 M3 Turbo Arctic/black - current
    2004 Built motor TiAg/Black - Sold
    2008 E61 19T Turbo-Wagon - current
    2011 E82 135i - S85 Swap - current
    1998 M3 Cosmos S54 swapped Sedan - current

1998 Turbo: PTE6870 | 1.15 ar | Hp Cover, Custom Divided T4 bottom-mount, 3.5" SS exhaust, Dual Turbosmart Compgates, Turbosmart Raceport BOV, 3.5" Treadstone Intercooler, 3.5" Vibrant resonator and muffler, Arp 2k Headstuds | Arp 2k Main studs | 87mm Je pistons | Eagle rods | 9.2:1 static compression, Ces 87mm cutring, Custom solid rear subframe bushings, Akg 85d diff bushings, 4 clutch 3.15 diff, , Poly engine mounts, UUC trans mounts W/ enforcers, 22RPD OBD2 Stock ECU id1700 E85 tune, 22RPD Big power Transmission swap w/ GS6-53

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    You can remove it with the headers, you just need the exhaust disconnected from the headers, which I believe you have already done

I have an S62 on a stand I was building but the machine shop near me doesnt do hydraulic lifters apparently so I'm up a creek without a paddle so to speak. A lot of the S62 parts were not in stock - I ordered them and waited for them to arrive for months in a couple cases. If theres anything they dont have in stock, I may be able to help if you are in a rush...
    Probably a good idea for me to call around to a few machine shops. I planned on taking off the heads since the engine would be out, so I would probably need it resurfaced - along with the flywheel assuming I reuse it. Where did you try and order parts from? I had everything from o-rings and gaskets to full rod bearing sets on FCP euro in the cart in stock. A friend also mentioned realoem for me - still trying to source an oil pan and if I can't find a used one in good condition I'll bite the bullet and spend the grand on realoem for it. But I might be interested if I am in a rush, I'll be sure to pm you - appreciate it!

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacks e30
    Probably a good idea for me to call around to a few machine shops. I planned on taking off the heads since the engine would be out, so I would probably need it resurfaced - along with the flywheel assuming I reuse it. Where did you try and order parts from? I had everything from o-rings and gaskets to full rod bearing sets on FCP euro in the cart in stock. A friend also mentioned realoem for me - still trying to source an oil pan and if I can't find a used one in good condition I'll bite the bullet and spend the grand on realoem for it. But I might be interested if I am in a rush, I'll be sure to pm you - appreciate it!
    I ordered the "Gasket kit" which includes all the gaskets for a complete rebuild iirc. Probably missing one or two here or there as they all are (stuff they don't expect you to replace) but I ended up ordering it from bimmerworld as I recall.

RealOEM doesn't sell parts fwiw - it's just a database of parts diagrams and part numbers to help owners find the part they need so they can give BMW their money.

I may have an oil pan too I could consider parting with... my S62 came with a dry sump setup but included the old oil pan

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Hit a snag and was going to pull the engine yesterday but the chains I had with the hoist were too short unfortunately. Everything should be all disconnected and ready to pull, just need to grab another chain and a friend. Only other issue I was having was removing the shifter. I turned the plastic collar counterclockwise and it is still impossible to get out, any other tips for that? If not I'll just pull as hard as possible and hope for the best.

Also I was curious, would anyone on here be interested in my M62 + auto trans? 145,230 miles and it runs amazing. There is a small engine oil leak somewhere but I'll find it when I pull it soon, no big deal - I haven't had to add any oil since I changed it months ago. If not I'll just throw it on craigslist or something.

M62 1.jpgM62 2.jpgM62 3.jpgM62 GC.jpg
    M5 Shifter.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    I've always disconnected the shift carrier and lever at the trans when removing transmissions

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    I've always disconnected the shift carrier and lever at the trans when removing transmissions
    I got the shifter out, and I’m probably going to remove the carrier to just have less things to worry about hitting. But hopefully I’ll get it out Monday and finally get to taking apart the engine.

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Engine finally out, and my god was this the worst engine removal I've ever done in my life. With the limited space and where I can work it made it a nightmare. Where the M5 sits is a crushed granite parking spot, and since a lot of stuff leaked onto the granite it made it soft. So of course every single caster for the engine hoist dug into the ground and made it stuck. Didn't help that I pulled it with the trans, but the S62 is enormous and heavy so either way it would be a PITA.

We eventually cut up some wood and cardboard, then folded it under the wheels to make small little areas where it could move without sinking. What should've taken around an hour ended up taking 3 hours.

My special flywheel tool comes in the mail tomorrow and I'll finally be able to put it on the stand. Was curious if anyone knew of the correct bolts and good mounting points for it on the stand, but I'm assuming it'll be a bit of trial and error. Naturally I was so shocked when everything I could see for the first time was covered in oil, never seen that on any BMW I've worked on . On a less sarcastic note, I've never seen the inside of a bell housing be so caked with oil and grime. I'm assuming the slave was leaking into there? And maybe some other stuff, but also whoever owned this car must've learned to drive manual on it because my god was there just clutch all over the place on top of the flywheel being visibly purple and blue in some places from overheating.

Garage is starting to look cluttered and a case of organized chaos, time for the fun stuff.
    IMG_8006.jpgIMG_8017.jpg65327919760__62C17F6C-740B-4655-89BC-B2E9DEBC70B1.jpgIMG_8021.jpgIMG_8024.jpg

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    Got the flywheel and clutch assembly off the back of the engine, and my theory about someone learning to drive manual or do burnouts was proved. Flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, all of it was blue and purple and just so destroyed - I hope the photos can do it justice. Took out coil packs and spark plugs and they seemed like the plugs had been changed maybe once with how they were - original coil packs from '03 as well.

The rear of the engine was so caked in grime though, I'm curious if the rear coolant cover leaked because of the state of the bell housing and back of block. It also seemed like someone painted the plate that goes around the rear main. Almost like it was peeling high heat paint with how it looked.

The other thing I was curious about - and if anyone has insight please lmk! The dual mass flywheel bolts go into the back of the crank but there was this strange dowel there. Is there supposed to be one, is there supposed to be multiple?

Going to get it on the stand tomorrow and begin taking it apart further.

IMG_8032.jpgIMG_8036.jpgIMG_8038.jpgIMG_8034.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    The dowel is there to align the flywheel to get the TDC locking pin hole in the right spot

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    '86 325es w/ S52 (sold)
    The dowel is there to align the flywheel to get the TDC locking pin hole in the right spot
    I see, thanks for the info. Would you have any recommendations on a non stock flywheel/clutch assembly? I don't want an insanely light flywheel because I'll primarily be street driving it, but something a little lighter perhaps and a clutch that feels better?

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacks e30 View Post
    Probably a good idea for me to call around to a few machine shops. I planned on taking off the heads since the engine would be out, so I would probably need it resurfaced - along with the flywheel assuming I reuse it.
    Al Hubbard's shop in Hayward can take care of you for this, they did a very nice M52 cleanup for me and walked me through what they did, confirmed dimensional checks and squareness and it was an overall awesome experience compared to other engine machine shops I've tried before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks e30 View Post
    Where did you try and order parts from? I had everything from o-rings and gaskets to full rod bearing sets on FCP euro in the cart in stock. A friend also mentioned realoem for me - still trying to source an oil pan and if I can't find a used one in good condition I'll bite the bullet and spend the grand on realoem for it. But I might be interested if I am in a rush, I'll be sure to pm you - appreciate it!
    RealOEM doesn't sell parts, for the S62 you either find a used pan or downgrade to the M62's oil system (IIRC it swaps over). For all intents and purposes you're not losing out on anything (M60/M62 aren't known for oil starvation) but no bragging rights of having the semi-scavenged oil system.

I'd stick to the stock S62 dual-mass unless you want to pay out the nose for one of these:

https://www.einhornindustries.com/st...%28S62%29.html

Dual-mass is a godsend for reducing drivetrain noise and reducing torsional stress on the crank. Clutch should always be Sachs:

https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/...-001243-999978

There are folks who move to a single-mass flywheel and get some other brand of clutch so that you can have a sprung hub clutch disk, but the friction material on aftermarket clutches almost never lasts as long as the Sachs good stuff. You're just picking a compromise you prefer here, in my personal opinion longevity and durability > razor response for a street car.

I'm somewhat local to you btw if you run into a major snag and need help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast