Thread: S54 swapped Z3M

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2

S54 swapped Z3M

Having trouble getting this thing going.

1999 z3m. Originally had the s52. Picked up an S54 last year to swap in. I acquired a brand new s54 z3m engine harness. The donor car was an 05 smg, I have both the engine harness and the body harness. Not using the engine harness, just part of the body harness. O2 sensors, reverse light, etc. I got kassel performance to make me an adapter harness, and they took the dme that came with the engine, programmed it to my VIN, did a csl conversion (I have their map sensor kit as well) and a performance tune.

The engine cranks, but no start. The fuel pump is not priming. I jumpered it, per a pelican article I found. The pump definitely works. I did not try to start when the pump kicked on. I just tested it and then unplugged the jumper.

It has no codes. My crappy scan tool pulled a P1663 code. Google says it's ews. I cleared it and it has not come back. The scan tool I use for my e60 won't connect. I tried several apps and USB cable and Bluetooth dongle. I was finally able to connect, and it shows no codes.

Any thoughts? Am I missing something?

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    I would make sure that EWS was disabled correctly. It's not hard for this DME at all.

You have rpm signal to dme as you're cranking, right?
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    Quote Originally Posted by 328 Power 04 View Post
    I would make sure that EWS was disabled correctly. It's not hard for this DME at all.

You have rpm signal to dme as you're cranking, right?
    I as in, the tach displays the engine rpms while cranking? It does not appear to.
    How do I know if ews was deleted? Is there a good diagnostic software for my laptop that I can get for this dme?
    Last edited by ///Ficarra; 08-18-2021 at 08:33 PM.

My Cars
    Lucid AirGT, 97 M3 S54
    I would verify the 12v feeds to the ECU are actually getting power when the key is in the on position. Also, I think I had to run a separate power lead to my coils compared to the S52.

Really, just start checking 12v to the necessary stuff when it should be on, you're probably just missing a hot 12v somewhere.
    A word of Internet Forum wisdom: Disregard any advice that begins with "I've heard..."

97 M3/4 - S54, TRM Coilovers, UUC SSK/Sways/LTW Flywheel

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuasha View Post
    I would verify the 12v feeds to the ECU are actually getting power when the key is in the on position. Also, I think I had to run a separate power lead to my coils compared to the S52.

Really, just start checking 12v to the necessary stuff when it should be on, you're probably just missing a hot 12v somewhere.

I'll do some probing. Do you know of a good reference for the wiring?

My Cars
    Various junk
    Quote Originally Posted by ///Ficarra View Post
    I'll do some probing. Do you know of a good reference for the wiring?
    BMW WDS Online (bmwteka.com)

It's been a long time since I've touched the wiring on my S54, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. Does the Kassel harness replace the entire engine wiring harness except the coil harness? I think the only "gotcha" is that if you adapt a harness for yourself is to hook up the X6011 connector, but that should be taken care of if the Kassel harness is a 100% drop-in replacement for an engine harness.

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    BMW WDS Online (bmwteka.com)

It's been a long time since I've touched the wiring on my S54, so I've forgotten a lot of the details. Does the Kassel harness replace the entire engine wiring harness except the coil harness? I think the only "gotcha" is that if you adapt a harness for yourself is to hook up the X6011 connector, but that should be taken care of if the Kassel harness is a 100% drop-in replacement for an engine harness.

So the kassel harness is an adapter. I still used a z3m s54 engine harness and part of the original body harness. Not entirely sure what the kassel harness contains. It's listed as a plug and play setup.

My Cars
    z3
    I would start from square 1...

You say you don't notice the RPM moving when trying to crank it? That means no signal from crank sensor. That could mean the DME isn't getting powered or the sensor is faulty. If the fuel pump is also not powered, I would lean towards the first option.

For the MSS54 x60004 connector
    Pin 26 is switched power (12v with key on)

Check if you get 12v at that pin with the key in position 2

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

You say you don't notice the RPM moving when trying to crank it? That means no signal from crank sensor. That could mean the DME isn't getting powered or the sensor is faulty. If the fuel pump is also not powered, I would lean towards the first option.

I'll try that. Thanks!

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2

Getting 12v when key is on to that pin. So the dme is getting power.

My Cars
    Various junk
    I'm not sure if you've made any progress on your diagnosis, but if you haven't, maybe try jumping the fuel pump and starting the car?

It does take quite a bit of time to prime the fuel system and get it to turn over, longer than older BMW fuel injection systems for sure.

If it starts, then you probably have a fuel pump control issue.

What kind of fuel pump relay do you have? The Pelican article shows a 4-pin Bosch relay. I'm more familiar with the Z3 engine harness coming with an electrically controlled fuel pump relay (EKP). Maybe there was some confusion as to how to trigger the fuel pump relay in the harness?

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    Quote Originally Posted by FredK View Post
    I'm not sure if you've made any progress on your diagnosis, but if you haven't, maybe try jumping the fuel pump and starting the car?

It does take quite a bit of time to prime the fuel system and get it to turn over, longer than older BMW fuel injection systems for sure.

If it starts, then you probably have a fuel pump control issue.

What kind of fuel pump relay do you have? The Pelican article shows a 4-pin Bosch relay. I'm more familiar with the Z3 engine harness coming with an electrically controlled fuel pump relay (EKP). Maybe there was some confusion as to how to trigger the fuel pump relay in the harness?
    Hey man. Yeah, I got it to start with the fuel pump relay bypassed.

I've been in contact with kassel. I'm using the stock green relay (under the dash on the z3m). The adapter harness is supposed to take care of everything, and they wired it to use that relay. Not sure what's going on now.

You're right about it taking a long time to prime. That was probably the issue before. I just didn't give it long enough to prime.

My Cars
    z3
    DME X60004 Pin 10 outputs to fuel pump relay - check for continuity between that pin and the input on the fuel pump relay

If it runs when fuel pump is bypassed its not a voltage or crank sensor issue... just seems like they wired the relay wrong. Or as FredK touched on, they may have wired it to run an EKP relay

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    M5, M Coupe, E70D, LRD2
    DME X60004 Pin 10 outputs to fuel pump relay - check for continuity between that pin and the input on the fuel pump relay

If it runs when fuel pump is bypassed its not a voltage or crank sensor issue... just seems like they wired the relay wrong. Or as FredK touched on, they may have wired it to run an EKP relay
    Copy that, I'll check that out. Thanks!

You guys are more helpful than the place I paid for the adapter and ecu programming!