Thread: [2009 128i n51] OEM key fob wont unlock, lock, open trunk but will start car

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles

[2009 128i n51] OEM key fob wont unlock, lock, open trunk but will start car

SOLVED!!!!
    Ok so i some how fixed it 100 percent. so:

originally i had no key fob responses when pushing buttons but it WOULD turn on car

i changed out the rear view mirror i had in my other e88 (parts car) and i had lock and unlock

i changed out clock spring, srs module, roll over module, fuel pump module, seat belt buckle, and the end piece of the battery safety terminal (black and yellow twisted wire that connects into the main positive red plastic)

ran ISTA+ and cleared codes and ran tests/ calculate plans and one of the calc plans was to calibrate the clock spring by starting at 0 and then going side to side and then telling ista+ that everything was good.

after all that sh*t i some how now have all green boxes for my modules on ista, the trunk button under the steering wheel working, AND trunk from keyfob working perfectly.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS FORUM, 1ADDICTS, BIMMERFEST, BABYBMW, BIMMERPOST AND THE MISC "AUTO REPAIR" WEBSITES THAT HAD BMW SUB PAGES!!!

This POS car is almost ready for Turo

================================================== ================================================== =======

Car was in an accident before i bought it and idk how bad it was. OEM key fob turns car on but does not lock, unlock, or open trunk. Brand new key fob i paid someone to program starts card but does not lock, unlock, or open trunk. Talked to module repair company and they said if the car can be started with the fob it is NOT the CAS. They said it must be the sensor. Any idea what my problem could be?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lvfb; 10-18-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: SOLVED

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    I have checked every fuse behind the glove box and they are all good. I have also taken the " diversity antenna " out from the trunk under the driver side tail light behind the carpet and opened it up to see if water got in it (what people in the 5 series forums reported being the issue) and everything looked very clean. I sprayed some deoxit on the plugs and once i get my srs module back in the mail ill install everything and try it but i have a feeling it is not gonna fix it

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    The key fob has 2 separate electronic circuits. One circuit is the lock/unlock function. It’s powered by an internal battery. The other circuit, the anti-theft circuit, is powered by the car via radio frequency charging.

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    is that located in the rearview mirror?

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I’m not sure where the RF antenna is located. If your car had an ignition switch the ring around the switch is the RF antenna.

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    my e88 does have a push to start button. one of the other forums had suggested that there was antennas inside the rearview mirror and since mine is missing i didnt know if that was true our not

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    I wired the mirror back to the wires from the car and hooked up the battery and no luck!

key fobs still are not locking or unlocking the car.

i did however push the unlock button inside the car and it does unlock the doors

what else could it be?

https://imgur.com/a/09DuoYR

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    I think the antenna is in the steering column. On my F22 there is a decal on the right side of the steering column that indicates you can place the key there. Just a hunch.

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    i dont know how to edit the threads title but this was solved

TURNED OUT THAT MR BEAN WAS RIGHT! i swapped my mirror from my other bmw (same exact model and everything) and plugged it in and it worked right away. TRY THE MIRROR FIRST IF YOU HAVE THIS ISSUE!!!

My Cars
    (2x) 128i convertibles
    so heres an update. car will lock an unlock fine now after changing the mirror but i still can not get the trunk to open with either the button on the fob or the button in the car... any ideas?