Thread: Pulled the head off my M52 w/ 100k - looking for opinions before boost

My Cars
    1989 325i

Pulled the head off my M52 w/ 100k - looking for opinions before boost

Head is going to the machine shop to get pressure tested and decked this weekend.

Going with ARPs and stock compression HG e85 tune for boost.

Anybody care to school me on what I'm looking at/if i'm good to seal this thing back up and throw 15+ lbs of boost at it?

Can get more pictures if needed.

IMG-5718.jpgIMG-5719.jpgIMG-5720.jpgIMG-5715.jpgIMG-5716.jpg

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Since you have it all apart I would find a machine shop and get it hot tanked, and have them check for cracks.
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    What Jordan said, and I'd also do the valve stem seals at a minimum while the motor is apart. At least that's one less thing to worry about if the old turbo gets a bit smokey. This was my only regret when I had my head at the machine shop.

My Cars
    M3
    Cutring hg. Studs. Wire wheel and lap valves into their seats, new valve seals, S52 cams, E85, 20lbs of boost, 525whp. Boom. Done.

My Cars
    MaxPsi M3
    Quote Originally Posted by dominator293 View Post
    What Jordan said, and I'd also do the valve stem seals at a minimum while the motor is apart. At least that's one less thing to worry about if the old turbo gets a bit smokey. This was my only regret when I had my head at the machine shop.
    I had the old valve seals replaced on my s54 when the head was off. Now I’m pulling the head off again because the new seals appear to be leaking. I’m not sure what the deal is but I used the corteco seals from fcpeuro. Just a word of warning.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Anybody use Supertech valve seals? Only $24 on ECS

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Nothing is jumping out at me from the pics, but the head needs cleaned to make a proper evaluation. Why not rods and pistons too?, (but I can see the appeal of a high CR down low) Then you can drop the CR down to a boost friendly level and not worry about the huge variations in Exx (usually close to E70) from pumps. I've seen it drop down to E65 once, and that shit would scare me at stock CR.

My Cars
    86 325es
    Quote Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
    Nothing is jumping out at me from the pics, but the head needs cleaned to make a proper evaluation. Why not rods and pistons too?, (but I can see the appeal of a high CR down low) Then you can drop the CR down to a boost friendly level and not worry about the huge variations in Exx (usually close to E70) from pumps. I've seen it drop down to E65 once, and that shit would scare me at stock CR.
    There is barely any difference in detonation resistance from 90 to 70 percent and relatively little between 70 and 50. For his power goals even E50 would not concern me on stock compression assuming he has a flex fuel sensor to correct the AFR at different contents.

86 325es, 2.8L m50, S476sxe, ProEFI 128 ecu, e85, solid rear axle, TH400 trans, 28x10.5w slicks, zip ties, popsicle sticks, tape
    best time 9.06 @ 151.8 mph, best 60 foot 1.30

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by someguy2800 View Post
    There is barely any difference in detonation resistance from 90 to 70 percent and relatively little between 70 and 50. For his power goals even E50 would not concern me on stock compression assuming he has a flex fuel sensor to correct the AFR at different contents.
    This is similar to what I’ve been told from a few e85 tuners as well. Also would grab one of the oem GM ethanol content analyzers and run it to a gauge to monitor what E rating is in the tank

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Decay View Post
    Head is going to the machine shop to get pressure tested and decked this weekend.

Going with ARPs and stock compression HG e85 tune for boost.

Anybody care to school me on what I'm looking at/if i'm good to seal this thing back up and throw 15+ lbs of boost at it?

Can get more pictures if needed.

IMG-5718.jpgIMG-5719.jpgIMG-5720.jpgIMG-5715.jpgIMG-5716.jpg
    Send it as is is my vote

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Stay away from ECS is my 2 cents...There is a FB group called "Why I hate ECS Tuning" which explains it all haha.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Huh, that’s odd. Don’t use FB, but never really had any issues with ECS though there shipping times have definitely increased over Covid times. Gave them countless dollars across Audi, VW, and BMW chassis over the years haha. Just your typical dropshipper.

I always go FCPEuro when it’s something that I’ll ever need to replace though. Can’t beat that lifetime warranty on wear and tear parts.

My Cars
    1998 bmw m3 sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Decay View Post
    Anybody use Supertech valve seals? Only $24 on ECS
    Supertech is good, i’ve also never really had a problem with ECS, just the shipping but that’s not something they actually control
    98 M3 sedan

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    Not to bag ECS too much, but the most common issue with them is they claim to have items in stock, which they don't and keep pushing back shipping dates - often people are waiting 3-5mths for items to be shipped only to find out half their shipment hasn't arrived, or they've been sent the wrong item or a 2nd hand and damaged item rather than a brand new etc. haha It's really interesting seeing some of the stuff ups they do on the FB group, though I have since left the group seeing as 90% of the posts are 'Hey ECS, when am I going to receive my item, I've been waiting 3mths' blah blah.

But yeah, I've ordered once or twice off them from Australia without issue. I do believe they treat international customers better due to the mega shipping expense for returns.

My Cars
    1989 325i
    Yeah, I guess now that you mention it I’ve experienced that with ECS recently but luckily my projects move slow enough that it’s never put me in a bind too bad haha

So to update on the head - dropped it off at the machine shop over the weekend. No cracks, valve stems are holding strong still as well so fuck it I’m just gonna lock it down with some ARPs, an Athena cutring and see how it likes 15-20lbs of boost on e85

I’ll put together a build thread once I get a little closer to putting it in the e30. Appreciate the feedback from you folks