Hi,
Any suggestions for replacement brands for Oil Filters on 2008 E60 535xi and 2008 E93 328i. The E60 535xi blew its serpentine belt two years ago. I towed (trucked ) to dealer who replaced belt, oil cooler, oil cooler gasket, oil pressure sensor, and replaced oil pan gasket, changed 1 of 2 VANOS sensors. Also changed oil and filter, Car runs okay but often starts when cold with iDrive caution that oil pressure is low and should stop car immediately. Did that first time, but noted that inevitably within 1 to 2 to minutes, oil pressure is okay. Went to dealer again who measured oil pressure directly from engine where sensor had been changed; sensor was reading okay but he changed the oil sensor anyway (NC). I asked if he had checked oil pan when original belt shredded for small bits of the belt were sucked into motor. He claimed that he did, and no fragments in oil pan or filter( indeed, he had collected the remnants of original belt and showed the pieces to me on first visit, they appeared complete). I did not get any codes at that time after left dealership. Have been changing oil and filter every 5000 k or 3 months. The frequency of the low oil signal problem seems better with time (rarely get problem now, other than in winter. I start car, then usually let it run for less than 1 minute without moving and turn it off. Always okay to go then,; No codes. I wonder if small bits of debris have been gradually removed from engine and pan.
Any help with this problem or suggestions re oil and oil filter replacement. Have been using 0-W-40 Castrol Edge Euro Syntec synthetic blend year round with Mahle filters at 3 month intervals. Should I use lower weight oil during cooler, colder months.