Thread: Advice needed on next steps for potential transmission issue

My Cars
    2007 BMW 5251

Advice needed on next steps for potential transmission issue

Hi, I could use some advice on my next steps with my 2007 525i with 170k miles. My vehicle recently went into fail safe mode with a transmission error message. The codes were 2AD0 4F8D 4E20. I took it into an independent shop and the people were very kind and they told me they would start with a solenoid valve set and tranny pan sealing sleeve to fix the issue. I would’ve been fine giving them the green light but the language they used on the estimate didn’t seem too sure that the diagnosis was gonna fix issue and even mentioned that I may need a new transmission in the end. So in attempt to not start a bottomless pit of repairs being done by art of elimination I assume, I stressed my concern on the subject and was told that they couldn’t guarantee anything and I may need to let the vehicle go if I’m concerned about investing too much in it without knowing if it’ll fix the issue. Again, they were very kind so this isn’t me complaining about them. My issue is I feel as if I should get a second opinion and was wondering where should I go from here. Should I go to another indy bmw shop or should I take it to a shop who specializes in transmission? Also, if I do end up needing a transmission, what would be the smartest financial decision on that? Used/Rebuild, etc…? I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to vehicles so any advice would be appreciated.

My Cars
    00 528/5 & 02 530i Sport
    A lot of issues with these transmissions can be fixed just by changing fluid, filter, and resealing the valve body. You can also go as far as replacing the shift solenoids. After doing this and resetting adaptations, you will likely be without issue.

Look at FCP Euro for parts.

My Cars
    2007 BMW 5251
    Quote Originally Posted by JPR10 View Post
    A lot of issues with these transmissions can be fixed just by changing fluid, filter, and resealing the valve body. You can also go as far as replacing the shift solenoids. After doing this and resetting adaptations, you will likely be without issue.

Look at FCP Euro for parts.
    Thanks so much. Looking into this now.

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Aside from the codes, what are the symptoms the driver notices?
    Do the problems or poor performance reduce as the engine/transmission warms up?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i
    Were you able to solve the tranny shifting issue? I am saving similar issues at 222k on my 2007 525xi. I can park it, restart, and is good to go for period of time. Unable to trigger the error on my own, so it's completely random at this stage. I will likely follow JPR10 advice, and get it serviced and solenoids.

Quote Originally Posted by memphis1212 View Post
    Hi, I could use some advice on my next steps with my 2007 525i with 170k miles. My vehicle recently went into fail safe mode with a transmission error message. The codes were 2AD0 4F8D 4E20. I took it into an independent shop and the people were very kind and they told me they would start with a solenoid valve set and tranny pan sealing sleeve to fix the issue. I would’ve been fine giving them the green light but the language they used on the estimate didn’t seem too sure that the diagnosis was gonna fix issue and even mentioned that I may need a new transmission in the end. So in attempt to not start a bottomless pit of repairs being done by art of elimination I assume, I stressed my concern on the subject and was told that they couldn’t guarantee anything and I may need to let the vehicle go if I’m concerned about investing too much in it without knowing if it’ll fix the issue. Again, they were very kind so this isn’t me complaining about them. My issue is I feel as if I should get a second opinion and was wondering where should I go from here. Should I go to another indy bmw shop or should I take it to a shop who specializes in transmission? Also, if I do end up needing a transmission, what would be the smartest financial decision on that? Used/Rebuild, etc…? I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to vehicles so any advice would be appreciated.