Thread: New potential BMW owner, but need DIYer opinions

My Cars
    2021 Ford F250

New potential BMW owner, but need DIYer opinions

2021 540i. Should I buy one or not?

Before you answer, consider this. I’m a car guy; I buy cars, work on em, drive em for a lil while and then sell them. I’m a [[read: shade tree]] mechanic capable of doing .. virtually anything on American cars, provided I have the tools available. I know nothing about foreign cars — so little, that I was dumbfounded when I went parts searching on RockAuto for stuff and saw the oil filter that looked like and old school carburetor fuel filter I instantly began to think I might be getting myself into something I won’t be able to handle.

I absolutely love the new 5 series, beautiful car. I’m contemplating buying one (looks like I might have to order one, since my local dealer has like maybe one 5 series on the lot .. anyways I digress.) ... BUT...

My MAIN ISSUE here is the thought of not being able to work on my own car. That is literally the only hang up. & before the inevitable “BMW doesn’t want you to work on the cars” “just take it to the dealer you paid for the service anyway” “if you can’t afford the dealer you can’t afford a BMW” junk replies, it’s not about the MONEY. It’s about the PRINCIPLE. My house is paid for. I have a little money to play around with, and so I mean, you only live once right !?

It’s just that I just can’t fathom the idea of having a vehicle that I’m unable to do any type of routine maintenance to.

I’m reaching out the BMW community to hear how other DIYers handle maintaining their own newer model cars.

fwiw, I’m putting this post on multiple BMW forums to get a broader range of replies. TIA.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    You can invest in a high level aftermarket scan and programming tool or invest a lot of time and still some money in BMW software and an old laptop. If you buy a 2021 you have a few years to learn about the car while it is under warranty. You could also look at CPO cars. I have bought used (99 M3, 99 528i), CPO (08 M3, 08 535xi, 18 M5) and new (08 X5). I do all the out of warranty work myself. The 18 M5 may be a challenge.

My Cars
    2013 BMW 528I
    Which BMW software? I have INPA V5 sitting in the cloud somewhere but not even sure if that’s the right one. Ideally, I would want to have the ability to do BMW diagnostic, coding and I guess programming… 2018 M550i

My Cars
    2013 BMW 528I
    Quote Originally Posted by Djvxxs View Post
    2021 540i. Should I buy one or not?

Before you answer, consider this. I’m a car guy; I buy cars, work on em, drive em for a lil while and then sell them. I’m a [[read: shade tree]] mechanic capable of doing .. virtually anything on American cars, provided I have the tools available. I know nothing about foreign cars — so little, that I was dumbfounded when I went parts searching on RockAuto for stuff and saw the oil filter that looked like and old school carburetor fuel filter I instantly began to think I might be getting myself into something I won’t be able to handle.

I absolutely love the new 5 series, beautiful car. I’m contemplating buying one (looks like I might have to order one, since my local dealer has like maybe one 5 series on the lot .. anyways I digress.) ... BUT...

My MAIN ISSUE here is the thought of not being able to work on my own car. That is literally the only hang up. & before the inevitable “BMW doesn’t want you to work on the cars” “just take it to the dealer you paid for the service anyway” “if you can’t afford the dealer you can’t afford a BMW” junk replies, it’s not about the MONEY. It’s about the PRINCIPLE. My house is paid for. I have a little money to play around with, and so I mean, you only live once right !?

It’s just that I just can’t fathom the idea of having a vehicle that I’m unable to do any type of routine maintenance to.

I’m reaching out the BMW community to hear how other DIYers handle maintaining their own newer model cars.

fwiw, I’m putting this post on multiple BMW forums to get a broader range of replies. TIA.
    I’d probably wanna smack anyone who would make the comment about only using dealer and affording their outrageous prices.

I’m like you, came to foreign from American…sort of
    the BMW community is different but don’t let the car intimidate you. So far I’ve used Amazon to order parts but everyone recommends

https://www.fcpeuro.com

Rockauto will no longer be that one stop shop.

I added some tools/equipment to my collection after scrolling through here

Check out this page from Kies Motorsports https://www.amazon.com/shop/kiesmoto...iesmotorsports

Haven’t figured out computer software yet but… oil change, spark plugs, coilovers, alignment and a few other things I took care of myself… dealership only been used for warranty work. Prices are outrageous just because! I remember week one of ownership searching for exhaust and seeing cat-backs range from $2500-$4500! No thanks! I did a custom full exhaust under $2k.

I haven’t found my GM comfort level yet so things take a little extra but it gets done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My Cars
    2007 328i Convertible
    Similar position here with a new to me 328i. I bought the car because I love it, but I was worried about how difficult maintenance would be. It's not difficult, just different than north american cars. This forum, and youtube videos will show you almost all you need to know. You wont get help from BMW or the manuel, use this place and google to get all the info you need.

My Cars
    G30 530i
    I also like to do my own maintenance and came from VW, the oil change is very similar with canister type filters on both. I changed out the air filter and had to remove a brace to get the air box lid off and it appears I’ll have to remove a bracket to change the battery. I YouTubed for fuel filter and cabin air swap outs, the fuel filter is a little more involved than VW and the cabin air basically the same