Thread: It's my ASC pump really dead?

My Cars
    BMW e46

Is my ASC pump really dead?

So I changed the brake liquid, and tried getting rid of the bubbles. At the end of it, I tried using INPA to initiate the bleeding procedure for the ABS pump. There were options F2 and F3 for the front right rear right, and front left rear left ABS, when I pressed F3 the pump worked and the process was completed successfully, but I didn't the see function buttons well, and I thought that I pressed F2. Then I accidentally pressed F4 thinking it was F3, but F4 was for MINI cars. As soon as I pressed it, trifecta error lights showed up. I checked errors, and now I have the permanent 5DF0 ASC pump failure error which I cannot clear. Does this mean my ASC pump died because I pressed F4? Is it possible to fix this without the need to buy a new ASC pump? Did I do something terrible? Maybe it's just bubbles??? Help!
    Last edited by e47; 07-22-2021 at 01:01 AM.

My Cars
    BMW e46
    I tried bleeding fluid manually after this, and now I definitely do not have any bubbles left. I tried driving around for a while too, but the error remains. What happened to my car's ASC pump when I pressed F4 which was designed for bleeding pumps in MINI cars? Why pressing that caused 5DF0 pump unit failure error? Is it still possible to save the pump? Is it really gone? What can I do to maybe somehow fix this issue? Thank you.

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Where did you get the replacement pump? Was there any kind of warranty? I've never done this particular thing, but I have a hard time believing that selecting the wrong test would fry the pump. I'm leaning toward being a bad replacement pump.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)

My Cars
    BMW e46
    But it worked at first, and everything was working just fine, and there were no errors, up until I pressed accidentally F4 on the Activate page. At that exact moment the pump unit showed the error...
    Last edited by e47; 07-22-2021 at 05:38 AM.

My Cars
    2018 BMW M240i
    PM Balidawg. He’s the software guru.

My Cars
    BMW e46
    I opened the pump that i purchased from eBay ( disconnected it from the computer module part), and the metal rods on the pump which go into the module were all rusted. I wonder, could all that be the reason why pump died as soon, as I tried using the bleed ABS feature?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    BMW e46
    So what I did is I detached the module and the pump that I purchased. Then, cleaned up as best, as I could rust&dust from the ebay module. Finally, I detached my broken module from its pump, and combined my working pump with their working module, and it worked. One module was made in Hungary, and other in Philippines, but combining those two parts together worked perfectly, and now I do not have anymore errors! I couldn't clear errors with the BMW Scanner v1.4, and the trifecta lights were still on. The scanner however did let me know that the error is not currently present, meaning that my little operation worked like a charm. Using INPA I managed to remove the errors and that got my car rid of all the error lights.

An advice from my experience: when you purchase a DSC module from eBay, always open it up by unscrewing the two golden looking screws on the black round part, and check it inside for rust and degradation because the pump and the module parts are not sealed hermetically - air and water can get inside easily in there. In mine, the one that I purchased from eBay I found a spider family...

My Cars
    2002 525i
    Good work! Yes, we've all been burned at one time or another by unscrupulous FleaBay sellers. I stopped buying anything of any importance from eBay. Glad you're back on the road.
    Current stable:
    2002 525i (Daily Driver)
    1994 SN95 Mustang 'Vert (The Bumblebee)
    2001 325i Convertible (Beach cruiser project)