Thread: Difference between salmon color relay and other relay

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4

Difference between salmon color relay and other relay

Dear gurus!
    Forgive me ignorance, but what is the difference between the salmon color relay for the hydraulic pump and any ordinary relay. All along I used to think relays are relays!
    Cheers,
    Zvizeman

My Cars
    2001 525it
    No there not on the side of the relay is how the relay is wire with a resistor ect, if you go reloem enter the last seven of the vin go to either group 34, brakes or section 61 electrics you can find the part number for the correct relay

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4
    Quote Originally Posted by jclausen View Post
    No there not on the side of the relay is how the relay is wire with a resistor ect, if you go reloem enter the last seven of the vin go to either group 34, brakes or section 61 electrics you can find the part number for the correct relay
    Many thanks for the clarification Jbird!

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    Every relay has a specific purpose. In the case of the salmon relays, they are actuated by the convertible top module in the trunk, by a 7.5 vdc voltage. But, if you look at the trunk wiring you'll see the full battery voltage, and amperage is switched to the hydraulic motor, and polarity drives the motors direction, either up or down. So, the driving contacts must be heavier than a normal relay since the load may vary by the load of the motor. If you take the relay apart after years of use, you'll see some pitting in the 12vdc high amp contact to even a large pointed spear, and possible hole. This is proof of arcing in the relay due to heavy load. If you see this it may be time for a motor rebuild, or both motor and hydraulic system rebuild. At any event, time to change the relay ASAP.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Understanding European wiring diagrams, terminal designations, wire color codes, DIN relays, http://www.e38.org/understanding%20e...20diagrams.pdf download it
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    z3
    Many times, a relay is just a relay and they can be swapped between different applications willy nilly with no damage done. This is especially useful for diagnostic purposes

However there are also quite a few "special" relays, such as the EKP fuel pump relay, which is unique in it's own right. Later on, BMW moved away from "analog" relay based systems to containing everything within modules. ie. you won't check relays on a new BMW you'll be checking modules

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2009 BMW Z4, Alpine Whit
    Hi All, This Spring I'll be changing the salmon relays on both my Z4, and my wifes 2008 328IC. Both cars have about the same top set-up, and share the same part # for the salmon relays. The E93 will get a through top lube, and seals with Gummi Pflege. We have had the E93 since delivery in Munich, in June of 2008. Since finding how important to keep up with the salmon relays in the Z4 E89, I've changed all 4 every 2 years, and full lube every Spring.