BAVToys

Thread: 1995 E36 M3- Want to upgrade to glass headlights

My Cars
    1995 Avus Blue M3

Cool 1995 E36 M3- Want to upgrade to glass headlights

Hi all,
    Sorry for another thread on E36 M3 headlights, but i am so ready to replace my old original headlights.
    i am no expert at all on lighting, so will need advice.
    I want to change to glass headlights for a much cleaner, nicer look. And an upgrade over stock lighting would be nice too.
    I could do with or without the angel eyes.
    Dont need to go crazy with the strongest lighting available.
    i replaced all of my other bulbs on the car with LED recently, but really dont like the look, so will be switching them all back to stock, but with new bulbs.
    Dont really like the LED super bright white look- it doesnt really match the car.

Fogs were already replaced recently- i think they are Depo, so kinda shiny and sparkly, lol. I said i am not an expert.

Any suggestions on what to look for? and where to source them? prefer new, but will also be interested in excellent condition used.

any idea what the cost will be? dont want to spend a fortune, but do want to refurbish my 25+ year old car.

thanks in advance,
    Ed

My Cars
    99 M3

1995 E36 M3- Want to upgrade to glass headlights

I believe Hella, Bosch, or ZKW were the glass Euro OE or OEM glass lense replacements.
    Any of these will run ~$600+
    Genuine BMW ~$675.

Depo seem to be the most common (and cheap) supplier on the market today, along with DJ Auto.

Most of these lights do not fit or fit well when used with an aftermarket a cold air intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bluptgm3; 07-25-2021 at 09:20 PM.

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Hella Bosch and ZKW fit well, Depo DJAuto and other cheap glass knock offs do not. They also don't seal well.

My Cars
    1995 Avus Blue M3
    Thanks for the info. I definitely want them to fit well, and also to be a simple plug and play.
    Any idea where to source any?
    Are ZKW recommended?

Sounds like for the extra $75, Genuine BMW would be the better purchase. Didn’t want to spend that much, but don’t want anything cheap either.

Probably a dumb question, but if I purchased the glass original bmw would they be a direct fit? No other modifications necessary?

My Cars
    03 zhp, 97 e36m3, 04 zhp
    Ed, if you walk into the dealer, they will sell you DOT approved, North America spec plastic headlights. You would need to source them out of left hand drive country in Europe. ZKW is better in case you are running a long cold air intake tube into the fog light area - back caps are slimmer. As far as wiring goes, they will not be plug and play.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mless5 View Post
    ZKW is better in case you are running a long cold air intake tube into the fog light area - back caps are slimmer. As far as wiring goes, they will not be plug and play.
    Incorrect. Bosch have the smallest bodies, even with caps included.

Bosch are the best fitting and highest quality light you can get for the E36. H1 are glass lenses with glass inner lenses. H7 are glass outer and plastic inner. Both use the same bodies, caps, etc. H1 are ellipsoid and H7 are parabolic lenses. There are no replica of Bosch. FYI: Automotive Lighting (AL), and Magneti Marelli are Bosch. These are not copies, they are the design getting passed down Bosch's subsidiary manufacturing line over the years.

Depo, DJ Auto, etc are all replicas based on ZKW/Hella. None of them are particularly great and that includes the ZKW and Hella. The fitment is just fine if you know what you're doing on install. The replicas have cheaper plastics and break more easily, but all of them can easily break if you don't know how to properly install them.

I make a pnp harness. https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...r-harness-pair
    Last edited by Braymond141; 07-26-2021 at 02:17 PM.

My Cars
    1995 Avus Blue M3
    Braymond, thanks for the info, how can i buy your harness? want to order today.

My Cars
    E36 Compact,Coupe,E30
    Quote Originally Posted by Braymond141 View Post
    Incorrect. Bosch have the smallest bodies, even with caps included.

Bosch are the best fitting and highest quality light you can get for the E36. H1 are glass lenses with glass inner lenses. H7 are glass outer and plastic inner. Both use the same bodies, caps, etc. H1 are ellipsoid and H7 are parabolic lenses. There are no replica of Bosch. FYI: Automotive Lighting (AL), and Magneti Marelli are Bosch. These are not copies, they are the design getting passed down Bosch's subsidiary manufacturing line over the years.

Depo, DJ Auto, etc are all replicas based on ZKW/Hella. None of them are particularly great and that includes the ZKW and Hella. The fitment is just fine if you know what you're doing on install. The replicas have cheaper plastics and break more easily, but all of them can easily break if you don't know how to properly install them.

I make a pnp harness. https://www.msportparts.com/collecti...r-harness-pair
    This. Personally I haven’t had any issues with the aftermarket Depo and rocked mid 2000s Inpros for a long time. As stated it’s plastic, it’ll break if you’re an idiot.

As for bulbs I prefer LED, and like Morimoto. If HID morimoto or DDM tuning. If you want the 90s style the H1 halogen bulbs it is, but IMO they suck.

Buy his harness or one of the other PNP online, tho his is nicer looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    S52 E36 Compact
    E36 325is Coronaproject
    08 Saab 9-3 in Oxford Green