Thread: Bleeding...a ton of air and still not done

My Cars
    91 850

Bleeding...a ton of air and still not done

Wanted to know how crazy the situation is with the air in my brakes system.
    I have had issues with dragging brakes as well as weak break pressure.

I have rebuilt all four calipers, replaced the master cylinder, new pads and rotors all around and flushed the system.

I still get an occasional ABS brake assist failure light up and ASC indicator on.

Yesterday, I had the car on a lift at a DIY garage, and the rear right wheel bleed to 1 liter of brake fluid and yet, there were still a lot of air coming out.
    I wasn't sure why 1 liter had drained out and still air bubbles coming out strong on that tire. So I capped that off and went on to the left rear wheel. Again, just
    like the other wheel. I could have let it bled for a liter and still get air bubbles.

The front right and front left were good...hardly any bubbles out from those two wheels.

The brakes stop better but still takes 2 pumps at the pedal. So the question is, how much more do I need to bleed the rear calipers?
    Is that normal or there's a bigger issue I'm having?

So far, the brakes are no longer dragging which is 1 issue resolved/fixed.

All inputs are appreciated.

My Cars
    91 850i, 01 740i, 06 760
    Are you sure the air bubbles are not air being drawn in at the bleed nipple? I vaguely remember having a similar issue (endless bleeding with air bubbles) and believe i added some teflon tape on the bleed nipple threads to solve it.

Did you orient the pistons correctly (to allow any trapped air to escape)? Try tapping the calipers with a mallet to get any air bubbles to rise towards the bleed nipple.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisFuture8 View Post
    Wanted to know how crazy the situation is with the air in my brakes system.
    I have had issues with dragging brakes as well as weak break pressure.

I have rebuilt all four calipers, replaced the master cylinder, new pads and rotors all around and flushed the system.

I still get an occasional ABS brake assist failure light up and ASC indicator on.

Yesterday, I had the car on a lift at a DIY garage, and the rear right wheel bleed to 1 liter of brake fluid and yet, there were still a lot of air coming out.
    I wasn't sure why 1 liter had drained out and still air bubbles coming out strong on that tire. So I capped that off and went on to the left rear wheel. Again, just
    like the other wheel. I could have let it bled for a liter and still get air bubbles.

The front right and front left were good...hardly any bubbles out from those two wheels.

The brakes stop better but still takes 2 pumps at the pedal. So the question is, how much more do I need to bleed the rear calipers?
    Is that normal or there's a bigger issue I'm having?

So far, the brakes are no longer dragging which is 1 issue resolved/fixed.

All inputs are appreciated.
    Last edited by BMSman; 06-26-2021 at 09:08 PM.

My Cars
    91 850
    BMSman, I think you may be spot on with air getting pulled in at the bleed valve (nipple). I may have caused that be over loosening the valve more than necessary. I did some googling and others have wrote about the same situation. I also use the Motive pressure bleeder.

My Cars
    e39 m5, e31
    If using a pressure bleeder I don’t think that will introduce air through the bleeder threads. I would expect that with a vacuum. Dumb question but the motive tank has fluid in it? Pedal should be firm obviously. I haven’t had any issues with my motive bleeder but maybe you have a faulty one that’s pushing air in. Could try with someone on the pedal.
    Last edited by brettd85; 06-28-2021 at 03:26 PM.

My Cars
    91 850
    Nowadays, it's hard to get someone to sit there for a couple hours to go through an entire brake system bleed/flush. Yes, I pour in a full liter of fresh fluid each time and keep an eye on the level to ensure there's always fluid in the tank. I see air bubble in the clear line from the motive tank to the master cylinder reservoir but from what I read, that seems to be normal.

My Cars
    91 Dinan860 & 91 850 6sp
    Nowadays, it's hard to get someone to sit there for a couple hours to go through an entire brake system bleed/flush. Yes, I pour in a full liter of fresh fluid each time and keep an eye on the level to ensure there's always fluid in the tank. I see air bubble in the clear line from the motive tank to the master cylinder reservoir but from what I read, that seems to be normal.
    Use a Pressure Bleeder and none of these things will matter.
    '91 Dinan 860 Stage III (new 6L engine)
    '91 Dinan 850 TT stage III (brand new engine) 21st Century Tech meets 18th Century Dinan...
    '91 850i 6sp (mint) (sold)
    '90 Dinan 750iL TT stage III (Guido - The Beast)
    '94 850 CSi The Detroit Auto Show car (restored to factory perfect) (sold)
    '96 850Ci, The George Carlin car
    ''73 3.0 csi, '08 535i, '03 X5 4.6is
    ...and a few other non BMW cars

My Cars
    91 850

My Cars
    Had a 1991 BMW 850

Bkeeding Brakes

Both of my kids know how to bleed brakes

My Cars
    91 850
    ...funny. I don't have kids.

My Cars
    Blue 850/92 White 850/91
    Use a transparent hose from the nipple to the container? then just open the nipple and start pumping until you see no bubbles in the hose.

My Cars
    91 850
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmer View Post
    Use a transparent hose from the nipple to the container? then just open the nipple and start pumping until you see no bubbles in the hose.
    Yes, I have a transparent hose going from the bleed valve to the catch container. At the pressure bleeder, I maintain the pressure at 10-11 psi to ensure there's enough pressure in the system to push the brake fluid and air out of the system at each wheel. When the pressure in the pressure bleeder drops to 8'ish psi or so, I close the bleed valve, go and give a few pumps at the pressure bleeder to get it up to 10-11 psi again and continue with the brake fluid purge. Helmer, are you suggesting I should crack the bleeder valve open and pump the pressure bleeder for as long as it takes to purge all the air out at each wheel?

My Cars
    Blue 850/92 White 850/91
    I only use a transparent hose going from the bleed valve to the catch container. Then I pump with the brake pedal until no bubbles enter the hose.

My Cars
    e39 m5, e31
    Sounds like you are doing everything right?? Weird.

My Cars
    2011 Benz W212 E350
    Hi,

I found a substantial improvement in brake pedal feel when I replaced the brake line hoses with a stainless steel wound set from FPC Euro - all 6 pieces. A weakness in any of the rubber sections might affect the pedal feel of weak pressure. I guess any point in the lines which let air in are also likely to let fluid out. Maybe check the brake bomb. Also, it may seem a stupid question, but have you used the correct fluid? These things are very particular about the correct fluids.
    Regards,

Philip
    Brisbane, Australia.
    The other side of the planet, south of the Equator

1969 BMW 2000 Mountain Green - Long gone in the 80's
    1976 BMW E12 520i Blue - Long gone in the early 90's
    1995 BMW E31 840ci Fjord Grey - Gone Thankfully (2018)
    2011 Mercedes W212 E350 Calcite White (The "armchair")

My Cars
    '08 bmw 650i
    Hi, did u manage to bleed the whole air in the end? I have same problem with my 650Lci e64 and it's driving me crazy.

My Cars
    91 850
    To be honest, I can't remember what I did but I think I allowed it to bleed as much as I had fresh brake fluid to replenish the vacuum bleeder reservoir and close up the bleed valve at the caliper.

My Cars
    850Ci, M5, Model-S P85D
    FWIW,
    The BMW pressure setting to pressure bleed the brake system is 2.5-3 Bar, 36-43 PSI.
    Yes, it is unnerving to watch the reservoir expand and I rarely use that much pressure when bleeding my cars; typically less then 30 PSI.
    Less pressure can be insufficient to flow enough brake fluid to overcome the bubble rise in the vertical brake lines.
    Absent sufficient bleed pressure, I have found if the system has been allowed to drain from the caliper fitting (replacing a caliper, etc.) it is best to pedal bleed to get the system to a point where the lower pressure bleed will work. i.e., Fluid change or Bleeding air from the calipers only
    Note:
    Pedal bleeding has a couple issues:
    1) It allows the master cylinder pistons to move the full cylinder stroke and that is into an area of the cylinder bore not normally traveled by the piston, so you should only do this with a system that is correctly maintained. i.e., regular fluid changes.
    2) Pedal bleeding a system with a lot of air in the lines can cause micro bubbles to form in the brake fluid as it enters the caliper and you must allow sufficient time for these micro bubbles to settle out in the caliper so the system can then be completely/correctly bled.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by m6bigdog; 11-22-2022 at 12:43 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw 540i 2002 5HP-24
    I got the motive bleeder too. Great tool and you won’t have to bother your spouse stomping on the pedal. ��