Thread: General questions about the Euro models for owners of them

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra

Lightbulb General questions about the Euro models for owners of them

So I’ve been reading up about the S50B30 E36 M3 Euros. I have owned a prior 1995 M3 a few years back, so I’m familiar with the general aspects of the E36 M3 overall as well as the S50.

My questions regarding the S50B30 E36 M3 Euros are below and I appreciate all responses:

1) Is there any major maintenance differences between the S50 and the S50B30? I’m not talking oil changes, air filter or coolant changes, I’m referring to actual engine hardware. Does the S50B30 need any specific adjustments per miles driven or service intervals as recommended back during the era?

2) Did the transmission and serviceable parts remain the same between the S50 and S50B30?

3) To register one at a DMV in any US State, is there anything required as far as having to have the original “import” documents? I know much time has passed on these cars and in some States, registration or titling is probably not an issue with the car being so old and won’t meet many current inspection requirements due to being exempt in many States.

4) Can the specific Euro parts still be sourced such as the brake rotors and the specific Euro hardware parts that set it aside from the US versions? Do you still shop places like Bimmerparts, Pelican, PartsGeek, and the many, many other available online BMW vendors?

5) What determined that a E36 Euro spec M3 received the 3-spoke steering wheel over the more common “airbag” steering wheel? Was the airbag wheel mandatory based on CAN or US safety laws if imported?

6) Have any E36 Euro Spec parts been discontinued as of this writing? Meaning, the specific Euro parts, not like the common parts shared between the US and Euro versions.

7) Is there anything to be made aware of when looking to buy one - or coming into ownership of one? Meaning, I know with the E36 M3 back when I owned mine, the oil pump gear was a big “issue” and rear upper shock mount failures. Are there any areas that need special attention or to be concerned with?

8) For those who do own an E36 Euro M3, how is the drivetrain longevity since your ownership - any major issues or running maintenance concerns?

Thanks for any input or additional info. I’ve read all the threads here in this subsection and have been perusing Google as well, but am looking for actual input from owners of these cars for the best factual feedback.
    Last edited by Cobra Jet; 06-24-2021 at 10:32 AM.
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobra Jet View Post
    So I’ve been reading up about the S50B30 E36 M3 Euros. I have owned a prior 1995 M3 a few years back, so I’m familiar with the general aspects of the E36 M3 overall as well as the S50.

My questions regarding the S50B30 E36 M3 Euros are below and I appreciate all responses:

1) Is there any major maintenance differences between the S50 and the S50B30? I’m not talking oil changes, air filter or coolant changes, I’m referring to actual engine hardware. Does the S50B30 need any specific adjustments per miles driven or service intervals as recommended back during the era?

2) Did the transmission and serviceable parts remain the same between the S50 and S50B30?

3) To register one at a DMV in any US State, is there anything required as far as having to have the original “import” documents? I know much time has passed on these cars and in some States, registration or titling is probably not an issue with the car being so old and won’t meet many current inspection requirements due to being exempt in many States.

4) Can the specific Euro parts still be sourced such as the brake rotors and the specific Euro hardware parts that set it aside from the US versions? Do you still shop places like Bimmerparts, Pelican, PartsGeek, and the many, many other available online BMW vendors?

5) What determined that a E36 Euro spec M3 received the 3-spoke steering wheel over the more common “airbag” steering wheel? Was the airbag wheel mandatory based on CAN or US safety laws if imported?

6) Have any E36 Euro Spec parts been discontinued as of this writing? Meaning, the specific Euro parts, not like the common parts shared between the US and Euro versions.

7) Is there anything to be made aware of when looking to buy one - or coming into ownership of one? Meaning, I know with the E36 M3 back when I owned mine, the oil pump gear was a big “issue” and rear upper shock mount failures. Are there any areas that need special attention or to be concerned with?

8) For those who do own an E36 Euro M3, how is the drivetrain longevity since your ownership - any major issues or running maintenance concerns?

Thanks for any input or additional info. I’ve read all the threads here in this subsection and have been perusing Google as well, but am looking for actual input from owners of these cars for the best factual feedback.
    1) Valve adjustments. Probably do rod bearings as well.
    2) Yes, the 5spd hardware is the same as the '95 US.
    3) I think that CA is a problem, but I'll defer on this one.
    4) Euro parts frequently will need to be imported. Theoretically, if you can show a registration, BMWNA may allow you to order parts.
    5) Can't answer.
    6) Parts availability is pretty good if you order from europe.
    7) Rod bearings are a maintenance item just like the S54.
    8) I'll hopefully have mine reassembled and back in the car in the next couple weeks. These engines are MUCH more finicky than the US motors. I'd recommend against one as a daily. You have to be prepared for the car to be down for a couple weeks every now and then while you wait for parts.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by nick325xit 5spd View Post
    1) Valve adjustments. Probably do rod bearings as well.
    2) Yes, the 5spd hardware is the same as the '95 US.
    3) I think that CA is a problem, but I'll defer on this one.
    4) Euro parts frequently will need to be imported. Theoretically, if you can show a registration, BMWNA may allow you to order parts.
    5) Can't answer.
    6) Parts availability is pretty good if you order from europe.
    7) Rod bearings are a maintenance item just like the S54.
    8) I'll hopefully have mine reassembled and back in the car in the next couple weeks. These engines are MUCH more finicky than the US motors. I'd recommend against one as a daily. You have to be prepared for the car to be down for a couple weeks every now and then while you wait for parts.
    Thank you for the reply and add’tl info.

Can you give me more info or point me to a link about the rod bearing maintenance that you’re referring to above? I’m assuming after so many miles…

Do you have a build thread with pics of your engine build up?
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    5: I would say built date and spec. The SA255 3-spoke Sport Steering Wheel could have been spec'd. And it has an airbag, so I tule out any laws being applicable here.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    #8: I totally disagree. While different engineer, it's not more finicky, let alone MUCH more.

These cars have been daily'd since forever and many have easily passed the 200k, 250k and even 300k km mark.

Of course anything mechanical can break, but my M3 has been as easy to maintain as my 328i.

Must do: overhaul the Vanos with a Beisan seal kit and upgrade the solenoid seals with the upgraded E39 M5 ones.

IG:

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    #8: I totally disagree. While different engineer, it's not more finicky, let alone MUCH more.

These cars have been daily'd since forever and many have easily passed the 200k, 250k and even 300k km mark.

Of course anything mechanical can break, but my M3 has been as easy to maintain as my 328i.

Must do: overhaul the Vanos with a Beisan seal kit and upgrade the solenoid seals with the upgraded E39 M5 ones.
    These engines are absolutely more finicky than the US motors. And replacement parts frequently must be ordered from Europe either at enormous cost, or weeks long lead times, or both. This is a US specific issue where dealer support for these cars is VERY limited.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    1999 323i GTS2
    1990 325is

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Well I don't agree and I have both M52B28 and S50B32. I do all the work on them. In the end it's all nuts and bolts. They undo and fit the same way.

I'm from EU so the parts availability is not of my concern. But yes, if you are not from here it will be more difficult and costly.

IG:

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by MParallel View Post
    Well I don't agree and I have both M52B28 and S50B32. I do all the work on them. In the end it's all nuts and bolts. They undo and fit the same way.

I'm from EU so the parts availability is not of my concern. But yes, if you are not from here it will be more difficult and costly.
    There are significantly more parts in an S50B32 than there are in an M50/M52/S50US/S52. That's a statement of fact. And the S50B32 is more sensitive to small things being out in my experience. Yes, most of that is related to VANOS issues, which are fortunately mostly a solved problem, but not all.

And to be clear, I've had both types of motors down to the bare block, so I'm pretty familiar.
    2011 M3 Sedan
    1999 323i GTS2
    1990 325is

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Sure, I’m not disagree with the more parts. As you say, fact.
    But more parts, at least in my opinion, does not necessarily mean more finicky.

IG:

My Cars
    2 x Euro-spec E36 M3s
    I own an imported Euro spec 94. It’s no more finicky to own than my VW Rabbit was. Yes, there are some Euro specific parts, but it’s really only an issue if you don’t do any research. I’m in Canada, and we actually got 45 of the ‘94 S50B30 Euro spec cars. So, you can order stuff from a dealer. Or, connect with a few shops in the uK and order parts from them. At the moment, it’s easier to get parts from the UK than anywhere in the US.

There isn’t much to cause any kind of grief that would preclude me from owning another (or 5….)! I daily drive mine in the summer.
    Cheap. Fast. Reliable. Choose 2.
    Avus Blue '94 M3 Euro-spec
    Arctic Silver '94 M3 Euro-spec - sold
    Estoril Blue '97 M3 Euro-spec