Thread: O2 Simulators – That really do work.

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530

O2 Simulators – That really do work.

First of the usual disclaimer stuff. I am not in anyway affiliated with this company; I bought the product
    after having a couple of conversations with the owner/developer over my issue with having the CEL lit
    up because of the secondary O2 sensors being behind a set of euro sport cats. And yes, I had gone
    through the usual list of O2 extenders and other voodoo fixes.
    O2Extender.jpg
    One of the products tried. No luck.

The only one that actually worked for turning out the CEL was to put a euro tune in the DME. Which I
    was running till I installed these simulators and put the NA program back in the DME. Reason being –
    aftermarket tune requires that the DME has a NA program on it. Not the first time I have run into this
    preinstall check with this company.

Anyhow, back to the subject at hand. Having put @7k km (this is in Canada, eh) on two of these
    simulators I have not had one issue or code thrown with them. A simulator is required for each O2
    sensor, thus one for Bank1 and another for Bank2. What the simulators do is exactly as the name implies
    - it uses the vehicles live oxygen sensor signal to emulate and output a signal that closely resembles that
    of a good functioning cat. And they do it very well.

InsideSim.jpg
    As usual with any new item, open it up and see what inside. All electronics are thoroughly encased in an
    epoxy like substance so components/PCB is well protected

UnitsMounted.jpg
    I chose to mount the 2 units inside the E-Box. I took the backing off of the old Trans Control Module and
    attached the 2 units to the face of it with some OMFG double sided tape. They be stuck on there good.

SimWiring.jpg
    The wiring is pretty straight forward. Supply Term 15 (IGN) and ground to each unit. IIRC I made a
    splitter for the power/ground going to the E-box cooling fan. Next one takes the wires on pin 16 and
    pin 18 from the DME MS43 connector X60002. These are the wires bring back the post O2 sensor signal to
    the DME. Take one of the wires and cut it a couple of inches back from the connector. Take the cut end
    of the wire coming from the O2 sensor and solder (and heat shrink) it to the input signal wire of the
    simulator. Now take the DME side of the cut sensor wire and solder (and heat shrink) it to the output
    signal wire of the simulator. At this point I labeled the simulator so I knew who was who. I was very
    creative and used the same naming convention as WDS does. Rinse and repeat for the other simulator.

SimBlueLED.jpg
    I then slid the old Trans Control backing into the Trans Control Module bracket in the E-box tray next to
    the DME. Fire up the car and after a minute or so you will see the LED’s on the simulators flashing blue
    to indicate that they are ‘smoothing’ out the O2 signal to the DME to say that the cats are functioning
    okey dokey.

As mentioned above, over 7k km’s on the simulators now. No problems. And the touring is driven pretty enthusiastically. Cause, well, it hauls.

Link to product - http://www.area74.ca/io2/

As usual, YMMV
    Craig

My Cars
    '77 turbo 320i, '07 Subi
    thanks, good info - may need to try on the girlfriends car. It's throwing O2 codes

My Cars
    2001 540iT
    Does this mean I can run no cats at all and not have CODES or CEL? looking like headers and straight pipes on der Wagen!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    2003 546it m-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by rlordjr View Post
    Does this mean I can run no cats at all and not have CODES or CEL? looking like headers and straight pipes on der Wagen!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Call Jed m5jed that is.

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3
    Does anyone know if this Is this still available would like one for my n55 Enable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceEdit in Ginger×

My Cars
    97 740iL 03 525iT 03 530
    Believe product is still available. Check link in first post.
    Also for N55 - http://www.area74.ca/wp-content/uplo...G-iOS2-SIM.pdf

Craig

My Cars
    1997 2.8 Z3
    Yes I emailed him and they are slow with getting parts to complete them, but still shipping.

MattEnable GingerCannot connect to Ginger Check your internet connection
    or reload the browserDisable in this text fieldRephraseRephrase current sentenceLog in to edit with Ginger×