Thread: Hello new family, I got a e36!

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan

Hello new family, I got a e36!

Hello all, Earlier this week I bought my first car, a 1992 BMW 325i sedan with the m50b25. The one I bought runs but needs some work before I can really start to daily drive it. I have lots of questions and I'm gonna need a lot of answers so I would appreciate any help you can give me.

for starters iv attached some photos of stuff that's missing in the engine bay, I would be thankful for some help identifying what I'm missing.

Under the hood I see a belt missing and also a black plastic pipe that leads nowhere. aswell the air box has a circle hole in it, I'm not sure where that is supposed to lead.

Also when I got the car it inside it had 2 alpine key fob thingy's but they are to lock or unlock so if anyone knows what those are please let me know.

The car also has a radar detector thing in the center console, not sure if aftermarket or oem, either way if anybody know how to use it lmk.

The car currently does not have a shift boot, that being said am I supposed to be able to see the ground? or should something be covering the the bottom of the shifter tunnel? when I put the shift boot on it will cover it but I think something should be covering it right.? apart from the shift boot itself.

Under the hood running along the side near the windshield I see some cut wires, any idea what they are for?

I still have to bleed the clutch and coolant and install the ac pump I believe

I would very much appreciate any help I can get. Thank you all very much

here is the link to the pics, they are in google drive btw

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...Zxb3p5b2MyVml3

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan
    Also anyone in Vancouver Canada have a haynes manual I can buy off them please let me know. I can only find brand new ones for like $100 bucks.

My Cars
    1996 328i, 2001 740iL
    You will be much better served buying the BMW 3 Series (E36) Service Manual produced by Bentley Publishers. I have both. The one from Bentley Publishers is the one to have. Amazon.com has the manual for about $71 USD. Totally worth it.

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Congrats on buying a 30yo car! Hope it was real cheap. Your going to want to do a compression test to be sure you didn't buy a lemon. If this had any cooling system problems, the chances of it having been overheated is high, so the odds of the head being damaged is high. So don't go dumping money into it until you know the engine is good.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    325is
    most are not needed to get started..

Your radiator over flow needs a cap .... and the tube seems to be missing but maybe ok with out it.

Bad photo of what sb where the Alternator cooling tube . not needed

AC belt gone not needed for now and the water pump radiator fan is gone... ? heat problem / repair?

Windshield wiper spray tube

possible Hood light wire are cut

hood ground not connected

Engine air intake tube missing not necessary for now

aftermarket alarm remote look behind glove box for control box. red LED and hidden valet switch somewhere do not press you may lock the car and set the alarm off.

Shift isolation boot missing keeps noise air and heat away.

Maybe a old aftermarket x band radar detector to locate 7 11 now if it works

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    Thats not stock I6 radiator, dono if its TDS just know its not the right one... cut cables under the hood are from heated sprey nozzels, BUT where is you clutch fan ? i dont see any electric fan, and I guarantee you it will overheat, other things as others sad, I would take the car to any *car secury guy* to completely remove the aftermarket alarm (and radar too) , if it goes bad, you will have brick and not the car, speaking from experience...Anyway welcome to the club, car looks clean from the photos, all the tubes and wires under the hood looks good enought, except the radiator and those two air channels that you are missing, the one for airbox is easy fix, it just pops in, but the one that goes to the alternator needs your radioator cover (shroud) if its not there you have no place to connect it to.

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    Ellloooo A325IK~

As a M50B20 owner, reading what MaTus said about it not being the stock radiator, I'd ignore that. I have a M50B25 also, non-VANOS on my 325i sedan with the same setup, same expansion tank and sized radiator on both cars. Replaced? May have been but E36 people are known to argue over dumb shit like, mismatching radiators/expansion tanks on what engines, what engines are M50/M52/M42/M44 and still garbage like this. I asked for M3 S50 cover and had idiots telling me I needed an S52 and just, wow, if you know your car and stuff, you won't have to worry about things.

Your whole front end looks like she's missing a bunch of stuff, and the only reason it looks off is because you're missing your clutch fan, your shroud for the fan, some trim pieces and stuff, which is all misc, but you really should have a solution for the cooling, no fan is no-no. You'll shag up the engine almost certainly like that. As for the radar, nope, never OEM at all, no way. Can't help you with the electronics since I have no idea who did what, but that's for you to find out.

Part #s for stuff you're missing:
    12311730635 (this goes to that void/black tube that cools the alternator that's added to a shroud)
    51711977986 (upper cover for helping fix the generator cooling duct, otherwise it'll just hang and be a hazard
    17111742231 (radiator cap cover)
    17111712788 (Bleed screw)
    17111723031 (Fan shroud cover)
    https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...50/ECE/11_6016 (all your clutch fan crap)
    https://bimmercat.com/bmw/en/search/...50/ECE/17_0960
    (This is your radiator setup, don't listen to others).
    I'd suggest you change the thermostat, belts, water pump and that should really be about it, don't have time to spoonfeed you everything but this should be a good start.

Depending on your year of Manufacture, as you can see when you punch the last 7 digits on bimmercat, you'll need to pick the correct wiring diagram for your car, it's got US and CND crap here so it might be useful, and also, the robert bently manual which you can find around for free, if you look in the right places. Not that I support it but..

http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

^Electrical Wiring Troubleshooting diagrams

Cheers, hope this helps! Don't be too harsh on yourself or the car, it's a love hate relationship with these things!
    [redacted]

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    just sayin thats not stock radiator, nothing about replacing it, sorry if it sounded like that... if it works, doesnt leak who cares what core or expansion tank you have ? not me , but one more thing that you are missing is washer fluid reservoir, on the passenger side up front, near the light you have you washer pump just hanging, thats easy fix, kinda important for me in a daily car... right AFTER the fan (clutch or electric whatever you prefer) and other cooling bits that are necessary (rad cap. bleeder screw )
    washer.jpg
    pump.jpg

My Cars
    1997 328i
    Saying the car will overheat without the clutch fan is just BS. We don't know what the PO did to the cooling system. I don't use a clutch fan for years now and the needle stays at 12 all day.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    You will be much better served buying the BMW 3 Series (E36) Service Manual produced by Bentley Publishers. I have both. The one from Bentley Publishers is the one to have. Amazon.com has the manual for about $71 USD. Totally worth it.

+1 on getting a Bentley Manual.

There is no factory radar, so if you have anything like this it is an aftermarket.

You should not be able to see the ground.

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    The guy literally doesn't have a fan of any sorts in the car m9. He has the screw on bolty thingmabob for a clutch fan, which he can probably pick up second hand and install (not the prop though) for the time being.

Just when I think of un-ignoring you, lmao. Stick to your Maxima but that was almost 20 years ago kek
    [redacted]

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    Will he even fit clutch fan with that radiator set up ? I dont think that blades will clear the expantion tank.... PLS tell me more about running any M5X engine without a fan of any sorts without overheating issues

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan
    Thanks a lot man I'm super exited. and yeah the PO did a compression test before he put the motor in, he is a real nice guy so I trust him on that and the motor sounds like she is running on all cylinder's.

- - - Updated - - -

oh perfect, ill definitely get my hands on one of those, thanks for the tip!

- - - Updated - - -

alright thanks a lot for the input. I was thinking of getting a mushroom air filter to fit on since I'm worried about something flying in. as of right now the ac pump isn't in so i assume once i install that I put the belt on.

- - - Updated - - -

You my friend are a legend. thanks so much for the info and for taking the time to attach the part numbers. And ya it looks like a bunch is missing but im guessing its mostly the plastic stuff, im gonna have to find out if a stock shroud will fit over my aftermarket radiator.

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    There is still OEM air filter in the airbox, that hole just let air to the filter box....

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan
    I do have a fan in front of the radiator between the front grill and the radiator, should I have a fan in front and behind the radiator?

- - - Updated - - -

lolol. thanks for the info.

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    No need IMO, one fan is enought, just in your pics there is not visible, thats why we were so harsh about overheating and stuff...do you have any button for that fan ? or is it permanently on when you start the engine ?

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    I wouldn't run my E36 with /just/ the aux. fan in front in the heats of Dubai... You might be able to get away with it in Canada, but it's one of those things if you want to YOLO it and find out or stay safe. The other guy posting this himself lives in a cold climate, so he might be of advice for you, who knows.

Also you're very welcome for what all I said, welcome to the E36 club, give us a proper full photo of the car.
    [redacted]

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    I can't believe how mean and confident people can be while being so ignorant.

Fan deletes are very common as the stock fans are known to grenade and take out the radiator and hoses. I watched a guy on YT today who had had TWO do this to him in the same car. It's literally listed in the CHECK THIS BEFORE POSTING thread pinned to this forum... Here's a link to the fan delete thread https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...te-Mod)-Thread

The thermostat housing pictured is metal and not plastic so it's aftermarket, I think I can read üro on it. A common thing to do is replace the thermostat with a lower temp one so it opens sooner and replace the housing while you have it off. Many people feel that a fan is not needed with a cooler thermostat. Personally I'll be swapping mine out for an electric one but to each their own.

Welcome to the club and I'm sorry people are already bickering in the comments of your first post

Edit: two words for clarity
    Last edited by BeaterM3; 06-11-2021 at 02:43 AM.

My Cars
    e36 325i 320i
    just to clarify M50B25 does have metal thermostat housing from factory...
    Last edited by MaTus; 06-11-2021 at 04:28 AM.

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTus
    Careful, he's an M3 owner, it's showing!

Quote Originally Posted by BeaterM3
    I can't believe how mean and confident people can be while being so ignorant.
    ~snip~ I'm sorry people are already bickering in the comments of your first post
    Legit no one attacked OP. A person from U.A.E. in 60°c+ (sorry if it's too Metric for you) weather is just giving advice to run a fan from experience where he lives, a second snowy Ruskie telling him it's not needed and just giving input, the bickering is amongst other members, nothing new there if you've been here long enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Living here in the desert, I don't own an M3 and am not able to afford one, and I'm getting the lower temp fan switch mod for the Aux fan, an electric fan, a lower lower temp thermostat (71°c thermostat), fan delete/aux fan switch lower temperature sensor (80/88)°c temps, and an electric fan from a 90s Merc (love the sound they make). With OP being in Canada, I'm only telling him what I'm doing, not demanding, what he chooses to do and follow is up to him, which he will, and we're just suggesting parts/etc to not only look better, but to hold components depending on what he does. Just cause you're running fan deletes doesn't mean he should nor should I.

PS - Solution is here for you in case you don't like it:
    [redacted]

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by MaTus View Post
    Good to know! The one pictured does very clearly say Uro on it though and I imagine that's not OEM. Assuming it's definitely been replaced, it's possible a low-temp thermostat was put in there at that time, explaining why there's no fan, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost129er View Post
    Careful, he's an M3 owner, it's showing!
    I bought the cheapest E36 5spd coupe I could in my area that was in good condition, it just happened to be an M3. It was $800 fwiw and has wood screws holding the center console together, so no holier-than-thou vibes over here, I assure you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost129er View Post
    Just cause you're running fan deletes doesn't mean he should nor should I.
    I never said anyone should or shouldn't, just providing info since you seemed to be of the opinion that it's asinine to run an E36 without a fan.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan
    196659569_524388382038505_3581567907296001628_n.jpg Here she is in all her glory. 197522296_231928415107614_4343941310140467576_n.jpg And I have a fan infront of the radiator like so, as of rn when I turn on the car the fan does not start to spin and I'm yet to bleed the coolant so I haven't had the car on long enough to get to operating temp to see if it kicks on so ill have to keep a eye out for that.

My Cars
    1994 320i Coupe
    Wow! She looks clean and it's a very nice color! As for the Aux fan, not sure if that's original or not, but if it uses the same plug/thermal switch, you can jump two of the pins. The sensor is in the radiator on the side and looks like this:

If you take the socket from that (with wires, not the sensor itself) and jump the top pin to either one on the bottom, you'll kick in low speed or high speed and can test your fan like that to see if it works or not.
    [redacted]

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i sedan
    Perfect! Ill take a look. Thanks a lot