Thread: Wipers and power locks stopped working on my 2014 X1 sDrive28i (E84)

My Cars
    2014 BMW X1 sDrive28i

Wipers and power locks stopped working on my 2014 X1 sDrive28i (E84)

The windshield and rear wipers and the electronic lock/unlock mechanism stopped working on my 2014 X1 e84 sDrive28i

Let me describe what happened first, then I will list what I have already done/tested:

While driving in the rain and with the windshield and rear wipers running many of the warning lights on my dashboard flashed (maybe all of them), then the rear wiper stopped facing straight up and the windshield wipers stopped in the down position. Then when I reached my destination I noticed that the central locking button in the dashboard would not unlock the doors, neither would the key fob. However, both the central lock button and the key fob will lock the doors. I tried to get the wipers going but they won't do anything. Both the windshield and rear water nozzles still work, and the light on switch for the "automatic" wipers lights on and off with as it should, but the wipers won't move.

I tested all the fuses associated to the door locks and all tested fine.
    I also tested the windshield and rear wiper relays and both tested fine.
    I read that some BMW models have issues with the rear wiper motor getting rusted from water leaking from the water line. While this model does not run a water line through the motor I still went ahead and removed the rear wiper motor and inspected it but there were no issues.
    From other forums I learned that the General Module 3 (GM3) and General Module 5 (GM5) control the wipers and locks and often fail, but it seems like the e84 does not have neither of these two modules, or if it does, it has a different name and I haven't found it. In case resetting this module would fix the issue I also disconnected the battery and shorted the electrical system in order to drain any remaining power from the modules. Then I reconnected the battery but it didn't help.

So here I am. Can anyone suggest what else I can test/check on the car? And can someone tell me which is the module equivalent to the GM3 or GM5 from other models and where it is located in the X1?

My Cars
    2001 525it
    They do have a footwell module, frm, check for faults also check for water in the back under the cargo floor