BAVToys

Thread: Lighting, Toys, and power routing problem.

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Question Lighting, Toys, and power routing problem.

Hello,
    I am attempting connecting a couple of gadgets to my car alarm. I have a few different lighting effects on the car, under car, in car, plus a couple of other gadgets all connected to 12+ On the door. Open the door, and all the lighting effects come on. I would like to connect a couple of things to the alarm but not all. So I f I send 12v to the grille lights, all the lights come on. From my past and very limited electronics knowledge I believe I can put a diode inline with the 12v to stop the current flowing backwards. I tried sticking a LED inline, but it went pop. lol, so thats not it. So I guess some sort of 12v Diode that will only let current go one way. Is there such an animal?
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Cheers
    OzDrDj

My Cars
    1998 BMW E36 328i Cnv

Question

Quote Originally Posted by OzDrDj View Post
    Hello,
    I am attempting connecting a couple of gadgets to my car alarm. I have a few different lighting effects on the car, under car, in car, plus a couple of other gadgets all connected to 12+ On the door. Open the door, and all the lighting effects come on. I would like to connect a couple of things to the alarm but not all. So I f I send 12v to the grille lights, all the lights come on. From my past and very limited electronics knowledge I believe I can put a diode inline with the 12v to stop the current flowing backwards. I tried sticking a LED inline, but it went pop. lol, so thats not it. So I guess some sort of 12v Diode that will only let current go one way. Is there such an animal?
    Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
    Cheers
    OzDrDj
    What, Not One Electrical guy out there with an answer? Im Stunned!