Thread: Muffler/tailpipe exhaust gasket rings?!?!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3

Muffler/tailpipe exhaust gasket rings?!?!

I've been working on my cars for over 50 years but my M3 is my first BMW, and every time I think I'm on the home stretch of my rear-end rebuild, it throws another curve at me.
    I'm at the stage of re-installing the muffler, and in preparation I bought two new gasket sealing rings. Didn't realize each of the two rings is unique. The new ones I have are metallic (ie magnetic) and appear to fit snugly when slid onto the non-flared end of the forward pipe on the passenger side, but seem to be wider than the one currently rusted in place on that pipe. On the other side, the original ring, which I presume gets clamped in place between the flared ends of the two pipes on the driver's side, is not metallic. Could it be copper? And can it be re-used?
    Any wisdom would be appreciated!

My Cars
    '97 BMW M3/2/5
    P/N's #21 and #22 in this diagram for '95 M3s. #21 is now an "asbestos free" version that superseded a presumably non-asbestos free version? (RealOEM says the same thing happened with my '96+ M3). Maybe explains your mysterious copper looking ring.

I've always reused mine. If you notice a leak or they are particularly rusty/gross, it won't hurt to replace them.
    Feel free to ask about my car:

TRM Coilovers 560f/784r | Epic Motorsports Tune | Apex Arc-8 17x9.5 et35 | Wilwood SL-4 BBK
    M50 Manifold | ASC Delete | Dinan BBTB | Fan Delete | Power Pulleys | Dinan CAI |
    S54 Oil Cooler
    Z3 Rack | Crossbrace | 3.38 LSD | Dinan Strut Tower Brace | AKG Chassis Mount Shifter
    SS Long Tubes | SS Race Exhaust |
    LTW Replica Wing | MM Underpanel | CF Sunroof Delete
    OE GT Front Splitter | Rear Rollbar | Rear Seat Delete | BW Fuel Starvation | Turtle Labs Door Panels
    And Really Old Paint

Check out my YouTube channel for more DIY's and videos about my E36 M3

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3
    18111723721 (#21) is gasket that sits on the outside diameter of the midsection on one side.
    18111719446 (#22) is the metal ring that bridges the female to female gap between mid section and muffler section on the other side.

You need one of each IF yours are damaged. You almost never have to replace these parts, but that's likely a California luxury.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    Many thanks to you both. The new ones I have are #21 and the old one of that type did need replacing so that's done. And #22 for the other side still looks good so I'll re-use it.
    Thanks again
    PS that M3 muffler is a heavy sucker isn't it?

My Cars
    S54 E36 M3, E32 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonabitch View Post
    Many thanks to you both. The new ones I have are #21 and the old one of that type did need replacing so that's done. And #22 for the other side still looks good so I'll re-use it.
    Thanks again
    Yes, it is remarkably heavy. I get compliments all the time on how my exhaust sounds - even from other long time E36 M3 owners - who are always surprised to learn it's the stock exhaust.

But man, it is crazy heavy.

I just got headers after having the car for 10 years and was surprised to learn the midpipe is double walled, and that BMW uses a high quality but very heavy gauge for the pipe in general. Which does explain the weight, but also explains the general lack of trouble with rusty pipes.

My Cars
    1998 Techno M3 Coupe
    I replaced my muffler with a SuperSprint version and it was "damn, this this is light compared to that heavy monster I pulled out".

NeilM is online now Member BMW E36 M3 Expert
    My Cars
    96 M3, 15 Golf R, 18 Q5
    Quote Originally Posted by JitteryJoe View Post
    I replaced my muffler with a SuperSprint version and it was "damn, this this is light compared to that heavy monster I pulled out".
    Same here. Basically, any aftermarket cat back system will be much lighter than stock, and in fact that's the main advantage. Power increase is minimal. Sound quality is in the ear of the beholder. ;-)

Neil

My Cars
    98 M3
    Yeah I honestly loved the stock sound. I couldn't get past the looks and the weight though. The eisenmann looks great, saved about 30# and sounds very similar, just a touch louder and raspier.

- 98 m3, techno/anthrazit cloth, 124k and officially worthless - 89 m3, alpine/black 143k and officially old - 2000 323it, tiag/grey, 169k and officially boring

My Cars
    Turbo 97 E36 M3, 99 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by daytonabitch View Post
    Thanks again
    I just replaced my driveshaft and absolutely hate installing the stock midsection/headers + muffler. The muffler is not only heavy, but seems to love to rotate. I finally figure out that the easiest way for me to do this is to put the muffler on the jack and jack it up a bit, install the passenger side that actually inserts into the midsection, and then rotate the muffler. What a pain to do this by yourself, foot on the jack, jackstands, etc.....
    1997 Arctic Silver/Black M3
    CES Stage IV (651rwhp/615rwtq @ 24 psi)

1999 Techno Violet/Dove M3
    Auto/Convertible and staying stock!

My Cars
    1999 M3 , 1999 328is
    If you think an e36 M3 exhaust is heavy, check out an e39 M5 exhaust. Dual exhaust the length of the car with four large scuba tank sized resonators at the back.

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46 E90
    Quote Originally Posted by pizzaman09 View Post
    If you think an e36 M3 exhaust is heavy, check out an e39 M5 exhaust. Dual exhaust the length of the car with four large scuba tank sized resonators at the back.
    One time I was helping a buddy pull his E39 M5 exhaust. We were on a lift, lowering it with a trans jack, so easy stuff. Except.... He wasn't paying attention and the trans jack (HF special) jammed the angle adjuster knob on his finger on the pressure release knob. So he basically ended up with most of the weight of the exhaust on his finger. I was standing at the other end, holding up his exhaust just helplessly watching him work it out. (To be clear, while very painful, no actual injuries. If we'd had to drop the exhaust to get him out, we could have.)
    2011 M3 Sedan
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD LBZ
    1999 323i GTS2
    1995 M3 - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is
    1989 M3 - S54B32/GS6-37BZ

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo
    Hers: 1989 325iX

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3
    BMWManiac, Yup, been there done that. I have my car up on a mid-rise lift, and used a pipe stand to support the muffler, while a cross-bar on the lift was conveniently positioned to support the forward end of the pipes. I was pleasantly surprised how easily it all went together.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Picking this up to install my new Eisenmann exhaust and some other hardware bits to refresh the system. Planning to use clamps vs welding. Anyone have a recommendation on exhaust clamps, size, brand, etc?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-374460-muffler-installation-kit/

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
    Picking this up to install my new Eisenmann exhaust and some other hardware bits to refresh the system. Planning to use clamps vs welding. Anyone have a recommendation on exhaust clamps, size, brand, etc?

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-374460-muffler-installation-kit/
    I tried 2 different clamps and always found some trace of a leak. ended up welding to solve the issue. Also a couple of observations.

Be sure to spec out staggered tips to match with the factory setup. the larger the tips you get, the less room you have to center it against the valence opening and play with fitment. I already burnt a smaller discrete area on my valence running the 70MM tips the 1st time I mounted it because my rubber hangers were shot and there was a lot of play when the car is in motion.

When test fitting or centering the exhaust, make sure to be aware of its clearance to the driver side rear tire. The s52 muffler had a provision for this when they went with 245 width for 96+ cars whereas most aftermarket mufflers (with the exception of AA, UUC, Dinan) don't account for this

Me running a 235 width tire gave me 1 inch clearance. I can only imagine having to run spacers on anything beyond factory 245 width or the muffler pinch weld will rub against your inner sidewall

The Eisenmann muffler is dimensionally smaller than the factory (width and height-wise) so you will need to get creative on extending the muffler clamps on each side by the pinch weld. Or you risk prematurely wearing down the rubber hangers because it would get pulled inwards. I ran a longer bolt and a few nuts to bridge the clamp further inward instead

Last edited by bmwstephen; 11-21-2022 at 07:25 PM.

My Cars
    1999 E36 M3, 2013 E92 M3
    Thank you for the heads up on the install. Yes, I ordered the 76mm staggared tips and sadly, haven't even opened the box from IND. LOL

I may simply decide to take it the local BMW performance shop and have them install it and TIG weld it. Do you think their is any benefit to the hanger inserts FCP offers?
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...revshift-peim3

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Hagasan41 View Post
    Thank you for the heads up on the install. Yes, I ordered the 76mm staggared tips and sadly, haven't even opened the box from IND. LOL

I may simply decide to take it the local BMW performance shop and have them install it and TIG weld it. Do you think their is any benefit to the hanger inserts FCP offers?
    https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...revshift-peim3
    tried those, did not give the rubber hangers enough flex when mounting the eisenmann

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Coupe
    For my Eisenmann I used of these lap joint clamps, but like bmwstephen said, they will leak. I’m not proud of this, but I ended up wrapping foil around exhaust, just under the clamps, and that seemed to get rid of the small leaks I had. There’s actual exhaust wrap you can buy, presumably for this reason, I just haven’t had the drive to redo my clamps. I don’t trust a shop to make sure everything is oriented and lined up correctly before welding, so I just stuck with the clamps.

@bmwstephen, I’m glad you mentioned extending the clamps, up until now I thought I was crazy for doing the same. I had the muffler on and off my car probably 10 times trying to get it installed where the rubber mounts weren’t stretched. Or where the exhaust would push to one side as it warmed up (it expands and shifts rearward a decent amount, which is why the BMW mounts are the way they are). I even reached out to IND to see if they had instructions from Eisenmann to properly mount it.
    1998 BMW M3: Estoril Blue, Bilstein Sport shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, Z3 M shift lever, illuminated ZHP shift knob, 3-Spoke Steering Wheel, Dinan Intake & Stage 2 software, Eisenmann Race, CD43

My Cars
    e46 325XI, e36 M3
    If you have it aligned via clamps already the i recommend taking it to the exhaust shop to weld from there. Thats what i did. Clamps were used as a place holder and then the shop loosened and slid back one clamp at a time, tack weld the connecting pipe in position. He did it one side at a time before removing the exhaust and doing a thorough weld around the pipes. In fact only charge me half an hour cause he didnt have to spend time aligning it