Hello everyone, my wife's 2015 x3 28d had a drive-train malfunction last Saturday. She came of the hwy and as she was turning right the car jerked twice and then lost power. She pulled over and shut it off. Waited 5 minutes and restarted it. Motor was fine but she could not select gears just stayed in park. Now it got towed to Kingston BMW and they diagnosed it as it needs a new transmission at 15k plus 2500 labour and taxes on top of that.

Now the car has never showed any transmission problems until that day. I tried to find out from the service manager to see what part of the trans is faulty but he refused to tell me or they do not know what exactly the problem is. I also requested that he sends me the diag results which i just got today after complaining to BMW Canada about the situation. I suggested there must be another option because i do not have 20k to spend. I bought the car last year in January with 136k kms for 20k and in August the egr cooler caught on fire and the car was at Otto's BMW in Ottawa for the whole month of August. Which they had to replace the whole top-end of the motor because of the damage from the fire. Which BMW covered 100%. Now 8 months later the trans goes out.

I kept on asking the service manager to see if there is another option like replacing the part that's faulty or rebuilding it. He just kept on saying the test says the trans have to be replaced with a new one. He also mentioned that they cannot code a used trans because i suggested that and he said they tried one last year and they could not code it so they had to put a new mechatronic unit at the customers expense which was 6k. As of today they still did not tell me what exactly is wrong with the transmission. So i finally got the diag results which is 11 pages. Not sure if any of you guys know how to read them.

Any help would be great. I cant post the PDF here or maybe reply to this comment if you would be able to help in finding out what could be the issue. I have worked on cars all my life built motors, turbos and worked mostly on manual trans but i have no idea on all the new electronics crap. I ended up towing the car back to the dealership where i bought the car which is not a BMW dealer and they said will have a look and see what they can do. I did buy a 3rd party warranty 48mos or 80k but there is a 3000 dollar claim limit.
here is a link to the PDF https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/b...#post-13547229
Cheers and thanks for your time
Lester.