Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 95 540i/6 "While-I'm-in-There" Resto

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Nice! I’ll have to drive my car down to Napa at some point and have then take a look. The work does looks great though!

You’ve already had those sport seats recovered right? If not, i’m curious why you’d do anything with them… they look great!

The aux fan: you mean the electric fan in front of the condenser, right? It’s activated based on pressure in the AC system. Suppose if you had the AC on and high pressure you could have them kick on when the engine is cold. But… it should take a bit for the AC system to build pressure, so it sounds like somethings amiss.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Thanks! I wasn't very clear on the seats for sure - late nite posting FTW! The car came with both comfort seats installed and the original sport seats also went with it. The comforts are in decent shape - no rips or worn spots but I have so much crap in my garage I really don't have a place to store em once i get the sport seats installed.

Yep - that's the AC fan and thanks for the insight! It ramps up to full even when on accessory and stone cold. I wonder which/where sensor triggers it. I'll have to track it down once I get that 530 out of the garage! Jeeze..

(hope you guys have cooled down somewhat - blistering up there according to Weather West blog I follow...)

IMG_3795.jpgIMG_3796.jpgIMG_3797.jpg
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

95 540i Engine Whine

Here's a short clip of that whine.

95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Nice! Well the sports look great, and should be when re-installed.

The wiring diagrams should point you in the right direction with the aux fan. IIRC the circuit isn’t that complicated.

On the whine… that is more than I currently have. When you take the serp belt off, can you hear any noise when spinning the alt by hand?

My Cars
    1995 525i/5
    I personally prefer comfort seats... sport seats are uncomfortable on the long road trips that I regularly do. Sport seats look cool but after 11+ hours they’re not optimal.
    1995 525i 5-speed - Thread

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    Remove the belt and listen for the noise. If absent, reinstall belt and use a mechanic's stethoscope (or just hold a rigid object pressed against your ear) to find the offender. Sometimes it's hard to tell even with this method.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyzabolotny View Post
    I personally prefer comfort seats... sport seats are uncomfortable on the long road trips that I regularly do. Sport seats look cool but after 11+ hours they’re not optimal.
    I thought I was the only one... Did 33 hours straight in mine once, and several consecutive 8-12-hour days. My back stayed happy.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Thanks! Planning on the belt removal process of elimination in next few days. When I had the ALT on the bench it spun freely and isn't now presenting any charging issues but bearings could be failing at speed - its original and at 160k could be going. I'm still leaning towards that TRW PS pump, tho.

Aux fan seems to be driven by a few things? DME, dual radiator temp sensor, relays, A/C pressure, but yes, wire tracing doesn't look too bad. Who knows maybe the resistor on the new fan, too. Its a Continental as I couldn't bear to drop the $800 on a BOE part.
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

HE53 Update

Well after delays from multiple suspension work on the e39's, finally returning to the e34. Rebuilt PS pump on its way back from AZ shop. Pretty sure the aftermarket TRW pump was the problem, but also benching the alt to see how it checks out - pulley turns smoothly though, no side-to-side movement, etc., but at speed still could be the problem. Have two rebuilt ones waiting in wings (how I ended up with two for price of one is another story!). Removing the serp belt seemed to quiet the whine substantially after determining AC-side not the issue. First up though, the wonky A/C fan to see why it wants to run all the time.

Guy at the PS repair shop (Benchwork in AZ - great people) said when testing the OE LuK, "I'm mainly a GM guy, but this little pump kicks butt". Encouraging - given the cars generally weak hydraulic design. Vanes were in great shape and shaft straight so fingers crossed.

Time sure slips away it seems. Not looking forward to repeating work, but it'll all be good once I get in there. (And certainly more fun that the pending e39 touring rear-subframe mounts!)

95 540i PS Pump Repair AUG 2021.jpg
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

Original Window Sticker

Thought some might enjoy this - found the sticker in the car recently when doing the seats. Jeeze this car wasn't exactly cheap back then. Wonder what it would be in todays dollars... Interestingly the vehicle imported to a now-defunct dealership in Midwest. Must have been a transfer to CA dealer for customer who wanted these spec's. Gotta love "Gas Guzzler Tax" - eventually even the brazen feds must have been embarrassed by this moniker and found a way to hide it elsewhere.

1995 BMW 540i Original Sticker.jpg1995 BMW 540i Original Upholstry Sticker.jpg
    Last edited by Mama Tried; 08-15-2021 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Photo edit
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Nice nice find. Where was the window sticker hiding?

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Nice nice find. Where was the window sticker hiding?
    Tucked in the bottom of the RF comfort seat along with the interior codes. Go figure...found it when wrestling with fitting original sport seats. (If anyone saw the recent YT of "M539 Restoration's" e32 seat-work, that about describes that little slice of heaven!)

Given the original sticker cost, and value of todays money vs 1995, that Calypso was well-bought today!
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    E34 540i6 M Sport
    I like your thread title. That's a nice HE53 and the Dinan bits are cool too. Good work!

95 540i6 M Sport - 95 525it S52/OBD2 - 433k E36 328i5 - X5D that hit a pothole - IG: @justinmurray95

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by atl530i View Post
    I like your thread title. That's a nice HE53 and the Dinan bits are cool too. Good work!
    Thank you! - car coming around slowly but surely. I think I'll be on the downslope once all suspension is done!
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

Cool Hand LuK

In pursuit of excessive accessory whine, some updates on my 540i.

First was check of the A/C condenser fan. Complaint was that it was running all the time, but upon initial inspection it seems to be toasted. From the vid link the installed aftermarket fan has all sorts of issues. Unsurprising given other posts regarding dubious quality of replacement fans. As BOE runs about $800 out the door, too bad there aren’t better options.

Vendor agreed to return fan for credit. The fan is now OOS which is lucky for the next person who needs one! In any event reinstalled old one as it was only replaced as part of resto and functioning at the time as I recall. We’ll see at start-up if this contributed to whine issue but sure seems likely. As for the “always-on” we’ll see if the bum fan was also causing this issue.

Onwards to PS pump. Reinstalled original LuK pump after full refurb. Return-line threads were found to be bunged-up by a PO which is understandable given difficulty of getting that banjo to line-up properly. Shop did a great job of repairing that, on top of the rebuild.

Think I’ll do a write-up on 540i P/S saga as it’s pretty much the most annoying part of resto (though rear subframe looms so I’ll hold judgement till then!). Anyhow it went back on without much hassle - mainly due to I’m getting to be a pro at it by now. Compared to aftermarket, the LuK is a quality pump. Highly recommend rebuilding them for 540i owners if possible.

Decided to hold-off on replacing alternator for moment till I test car. I can change it out fairly easily if it still seems to be contributing to any excessive whine issues.

Update: Good-news - start-up and no whine! Maybe fan, maybe P/S, maybe both. Fan came on at “low” speed so probably still need to check that out – especially if triggered by wires coming off A/C compressor clutch. Replacement seemed short of one wire that the original compressor clutch had. For now just gonna enjoy this moment!

LuK Installed.jpg
    Last edited by Mama Tried; 09-01-2021 at 03:18 PM. Reason: syntax
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Aux fan should only ever run in low-speed unless your temp switch triggers it to run in high to prevent an overheat. Seems normal to me.

In hindsight, I think I know at least 3 M60 owners with PS pump whine, and the TRW pulley can actually fall off. Would have to ask Nate again how he solved his issues in this department.

My Cars
    95 540i/6

More WIT Madness

While I was in there (ha!) I figured it was as good as time as any to refurb brakes. Of course, first was cleaning. Wheel well trim had holes/crack and with some plastic welding saved, ’em. Didn’t even want to see what replacement costs were for these! The fender-well trim had a nice rubber push-on gasket to seal fender arch and a nice touch by BMW. They were in remarkably good shape. Overall, turned out OK and can see paint color in there for first time.

Upon inspection both brake dust shields are shot. Cracked at that one stress point with the left fully separated and causing a rattle noted during last test run. Might try to get them tack welded as they are $130 each new for fronts. As wheel hubs have to come off to fix I’ll save that for the needed new struts – and while not super bad, new upper and lower arms. Meantime used a stainless tie to keep shield from rattling further.

Rotors and pads went on easily. Calipers are near end of life so at strut replacement will replace those and the lines. Metal brake lines looked OK, but the couplings look like big fun as they’re pretty corroded. Joy. Rear will pretty much need same treatment I suspect.

Dirty.jpgNasty.jpgIMG_4146.jpgL Fender well.jpgIMG_4238.jpg
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

Two Mysteries

As I'm pretty new to this stuff, two mysteries I have on this resto. First is this orphan connection from loom right near MAF. It was tucked downwards and didn't look like it was in use, but regrettably don't have any clear photos of this area prior to disassembly and for life of me can't find where it might go. Guess I'll have to dig in wiring diagrams but figured its worth a shot to ask. There just doesn't seem to be anywhere to plug it as the wire is short and all nearby connections accounted for. No error codes either. I'm sure I'm missing something, tho.

Second one is for the headlight shields. I tracked down the parts (as neither side were on car) and the right-side fit perfectly. But these left, two-part shields don't fit at all given what BMW decided to shove in this area. Tried all sorts of variations and though puzzles not my strong suit, just no way they would fit. Maybe ones pictured are for other model e34's but OEM only lists this and can't seem to find anything after casting wide searches. Perhaps for the he53 BMW decided that all the stuff in that area effectively shielded the lights anyways!

Thanks to all for any insights!

Mystery Plug.jpgMystery Plug 2.jpgIMG_4248.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    '95 540/6, '01 750iL
    Nice work! That wheel well looks very squeaky clean now.

The connectors - Non ASC 540s will have two 'spare' connectors there. Apparently ASC cars only have one? I slightly remember looking up what they were for awhile back, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think the 'spare' connectors in my car both have a small white paint dot on them. No idea if that was factory, or some other mechanic did that at some point to keep track of the spares versus the ones the car actually use!

On my car - I have the right headlight shield, but there is no left. I don't know if that's because it was lost, or the V8 cars didn't come with them on account of all the junk up there in that part of the nose. What are the PNs of the two parts?
    Last edited by a777fan; 09-01-2021 at 04:02 PM.

moroza is offline MORΩN ΛABIA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    E34T
    That unused connector is probably for the secondary air pump, fitted to some B30 cars.

I'm not aware of M60 cars having a port side headlight shield. The brake master would interfere with it.

The aux fan runs in low with minor overheating or if the AC is on. It runs in high with major overheating or if the AC pressure switch reaches a certain value. No failure of the fan itself would cause it to run constantly. See wiring diagrams.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by a777fan View Post
    Nice work! That wheel well looks very squeaky clean now.

The connectors - Non ASC 540s will have two 'spare' connectors there. Apparently ASC cars only have one? I slightly remember looking up what they were for awhile back, but I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think the 'spare' connectors in my car both have a small white paint dot on them. No idea if that was factory, or some other mechanic did that at some point to keep track of the spares versus the ones the car actually use!

On my car - I have the right headlight shield, but there is no left. I don't know if that's because it was lost, or the V8 cars didn't come with them on account of all the junk up there in that part of the nose. What are the PNs of the two parts?
    Thanks! Right side turned out OK, too. No paint dot on that plug but since it already has an unused connector for the secondary air-pump on the lower-right frame rail, I'm going with that! I think when they went from ASC to ASC+T the whole set-up changed and makes sense there's some vestigial connectors as they used-up existing looms knowing EOP was near.

Shield P/N left upper: 8-102-299 - Lower: 8-102-309.

They fit together with tabs to form one piece. Lower shield was almost unobtainum, - found a good take-off from the UK. Upper easily available still. I'm suspecting now they were used for production before BMW moved the expansion tank to back and brake booster to front. Literally no room there, but still its a dirt trap. Oh well, someone will want 'em at some point I guess.

IMG_4223.jpg
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by moroza View Post
    That unused connector is probably for the secondary air pump, fitted to some B30 cars.

I'm not aware of M60 cars having a port side headlight shield. The brake master would interfere with it.

The aux fan runs in low with minor overheating or if the AC is on. It runs in high with major overheating or if the AC pressure switch reaches a certain value. No failure of the fan itself would cause it to run constantly. See wiring diagrams.
    Thank you! I'll have to trace that wiring after bumper is back on and check out that pressure switch. Original fan works, but not sure how long it will last either as I hear a very slight bearing grind. I'll be hating to get in my pocket for BOE but all the aftermarket ones look suspect. Hopefully it lasts until I get the rear done. My son calls this car my white whale - he's not wrong, but why he's reading Melville I'll never know. Whippersnapper driving an e39 and thinks he knows it all.
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Tried View Post
    Thank you! I'll have to trace that wiring after bumper is back on and check out that pressure switch. Original fan works, but not sure how long it will last either as I hear a very slight bearing grind. I'll be hating to get in my pocket for BOE but all the aftermarket ones look suspect. Hopefully it lasts until I get the rear done. My son calls this car my white whale - he's not wrong, but why he's reading Melville I'll never know. Whippersnapper driving an e39 and thinks he knows it all.
    I think I would be okay selling you my aux fan - I use a Spal primary for everything now and it's not like the factory aux fan is very helpful when that is on. Come on down to SJ and make me an offer.

My Cars
    95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by circuit.heart View Post
    I think I would be okay selling you my aux fan - I use a Spal primary for everything now and it's not like the factory aux fan is very helpful when that is on. Come on down to SJ and make me an offer.
    Thanks! Might take you up on that once I figure out why it comes on at cold, non-A/C start - albeit now a sedate low as opposed to the full-on banshee that was the bum aftermarket replacement.
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    95 540i/6

Oil Leak? Can't be! Not these cars!

So after a week or so the beast is running like a top! P/Steering solid, engine strong, coolant steady at 12'o-clock. Best of all no belt tantrums so far! (knocks on wood) Car just rips and ready to move on to the rear...

except...(and there's always an except!), overnight I noticed a half-dollar sized engine-oil patch under alternator dripping off alt cooling tube. Gah! I detest oil leaks. Now where the heck is it coming from? Miserable visions of oil pipes to block-bracket (and tearing it apart one more time) or the oil-can or what? Doesn't help that access in that area is tighter than a bulls cheerio during fly-time. Anyhow, found it. Good news is that it seems to emanate from the left rocker cover, lower-front cap-nut that also has the small bracket holding the cruise/secondary throttle cables. Bad news is the cap-nut just spins.

So choices. I have new rocker covers as the current magnesium ones are decaying. Wasn't really planning in tackling this at the moment though. I'll have to see if its the cap nut or the stud bolt I guess. Or worse yet it has stripped threads in the upper timing-case cover which is where that particular rocker cover stud/cap-nut affixes. If so, maybe tap it for a temporary fix as I'm sure one-day I'll replace upper timing covers. Maybe its just the cap-nut. Yeah, right.

But its gotta be done. Hopefully not too much stuff has to come off to get to it properly!
    95 540i/6 HE53
    00 528it/5 DP53
    01 530i/5 DT53
    83 320i M10

My Cars
    1994 "532i6", 1998 528iT
    More likely than not it's the stud going into the timing cover - better get the helicoil kit ready!
    Last edited by circuit.heart; 09-10-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast