Thread: P147D Emissions Code – Engine Light Won't Go Off After Lots of New Parts

My Cars
    F30 335i

Exclamation P147D Emissions Code – Engine Light Won't Go Off After Lots of New Parts

Hi all, first thread.

I have a 2012 F30 335i sedan, which has been in the shop since the first week of February 2021. $1500 later (not a lot, but still...) and the engine light will not turn off, even after disconnecting the battery. My inspection is out, and it will not pass inspection (New York State) while throwing the P147D code // BMW dealer (?) code 194604.

I've read on this forum & others that P147D is an emissions failure, and usually the fix-all is the leak detection pump. THIS WAS REPLACED, along with a slew of other things itemized below:

Fuel Tank Vent Valve
    Leak Detection Pump w/ Vent Pipe
    Upstream o2 Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1
    Control Arm
    Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Electronic - Rear

Misc. details: All wiring has been checked - frayed wire in truck replaced, computer system tested - functioning properly

Does anyone have ANY ideas as to what could be causing this code to still come on/engine light stay on after looking at what has been replaced in my car these last few months? I can't re-register my car without a valid inspection, and though NYS allows some emissions codes to be waived, this is not one of them.

THANK YOU in advance for any helpful advice. I trust the shop(s) it's been at (not dealers but local BMW gurus that left the dealers to start their own gigs) and we're all at a loss.

My Cars
    F30 335i

Question F30 335i - P147D Code & CEL after lots of new parts

Hi all, looking for advice on my 2012 F30 335i sedan. It's been between two shops since the beginning of February and we've put $1,500 into it (not a lot in BMW world....but still...) and the CEL will not turn off – P147D is still throwing a code. I need to get the car inspected to renew my New York State registration, and this is an emissions code that NYS will not waive.

Itemized list of things we've already fixed:

Leak Detection Pump w/ Vent Pipe
    Fuel Tank Vent Valve
    Upstream o2 Sensor, Bank 1 Sensor 1
    Brake Pad Wear Sensor - Electronic, Rear
    Control Arm

Misc. Info.:
    All wiring checked - frayed wire in trunk replaced, computer system ok'd

ANY advice would be helpful - I need to get this thing back on the road where it belongs & FAST - my "winter car" registration runs out in 20 days and I'm not looking to renew it.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    This may be a dumb question, but has anyone cleared the codes after parts were installed?

If the current shop is having problems fixing the issue, then it may be time to get a second (or third) opinion. Make sure the shop you use is experienced in BMWs and has certified BMW technicians.

The code point to a fault in the fuel canister purge valve. Has anyone looked at it or replaced it?
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    36 Cylinders
    It helps if you post the descriptions you are using for you codes.
    BMW code 194604 =Tank leakage module, electrics: line break

So I would focus on the wiring and connectors
    -Abel

- E36 328is ~210-220whp: Lots of Mods.
    - 2000 Z3: Many Mods.
    - 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual 47-50mpg
    - 1999 S52 Estoril M Coupe
    - 2014 328d Wagon, self-tuned, 270hp/430ft-lbs
    - 2019 M2 Competition, self-tuned, 504whp
    - 2016 Mini Cooper S

My Cars
    F30 335i
    @khammack: They have tried to clear the code, but apparently as soon as the car turns back on, the CEL returns (with the code).

The 2 shops I have had it with are our local BMW "gurus" and we have tried to avoid going to the dealer, but if it's my only option, I will bite the bullet.

I am stopping by today for a temperature check – I will be sure to ask about the fuel canister purge valve! There's been so much back-and-forth, I don't recall if we discussed that.

Thanks very much for your help.

- - - Updated - - -

@328 Power 04: Sorry, I didn't know all of that info. came with the code, was just regurgitating what they told me – but thank you for the advice as now that I know what that code means, I can be sure we check out all of the wiring & connectors. I appreciate the help!

My Cars
    '15 435i,'10 535i,'08 X5
    Did the shop leak test the fuel system to confirm it holds pressure? The usual test is to apply low pressure air to the fuel system, turn the air off and confirm the system holds pressure. If pressure leaks off there is a leak and the problem is not fixed.
    How many miles have you driven since the repairs? I wonder if perhaps you need to complete the drive cycle so the DME will have the chance to run the leak detection pump and confirm there are no leaks.
    Last edited by pshovest; 05-12-2021 at 06:44 PM.