Thread: 1998 323is won’t crank

My Cars
    1998 323is, 1992 FJ80

1998 323is won’t crank

Hey everyone,

I just picked up a 98 323is/5speed and when I turn the key to start, with clutch depressed, there’s a rapid clicking sound and the dash lights flicker with the clicking. With the clutch out the car is dead when key turned to start. I can hear the fuel pump prime when the key turns on. Any suggestions and advice are appreciated!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    You describe a dead battery, if the batt is good then it's a bad starter. Be sure to read the old threads on replacing the starter, its not a fun job but because you have a 5spd its a little easier.

Welcome to the forum!

When you use the search engine, click on 'search single type' and then search specifically the e36 subforum.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".

My Cars
    1998 323is, 1992 FJ80
    Sounds good, thanks! I’ll try to use the search function more effectively in the future!

My Cars
    One Too Many
    Sounds like a bad battery, But could also be a bad Starter, you can first charge up the battery or jump start it with a known good one. You could also smack the starter while (or before) starting to see if its going or not.

Finally could be the crank position sensor / cam sensor or both. Also check your ground strap near the engine and the rear trunk wiring harness that needs repair usually.
    "So we've come to the conclusion that BMW just has parts laying around they decide to throw on cars for no reason."

Interest on a Very Budget Supercharger Build??

My Cars
    1998 323is, 1992 FJ80
    The car I picked up for $400, and as such has needed tons of deferred maintenance. BMW Reman'd starter and ETorx box end wrenches were just delivered to my house today. Im excited to put the starter in when the clock hits quittin' time. When I posted this thread, I ended up getting very frustrated with bashing the starter and hearing no change in the noises when I attempted cranking. I ended up rolling the car downhill in my neighborhood, and after the second clutch dump, the car fired up and I took it around the block before parking it. There was a horrible misfire, fuel gauge reading on reserve. So overall after that experience I have a few questions.

If I was able to get the car to run, although horribly, would that eliminate electronic gremlins that would prevent the starter from turning over? I want to try and avoid dissapointment if after installing the new starter it still won't crank.

Previous owner appears to have replaced crank and cam sensors, as well as the starter,fuel pump and filter. ground strap is clean.

When I pulled the intake manifold to access the starter, about half of the sensors and plugs, including wiring that leads to the fuel rail, were left unconnected, so I'm not sure what role that played in the no crank condition. I looking for a heads up of what others issues I may not be able to tell that I am dealing with after replacing the starter anyways. Thanks!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    It backfired? Through the exhaust or the intake. If through the intake I would be worried of damage. The intake plenum can crack and hoses can pop off.

Be sure to mate the connectors to their proper sensor, I have no clue why someone would do that.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".