Thread: Headlight issue

My Cars
    97 318I, 01 325ci

Headlight issue

How can I get in there to push this lens back into place? Does the adaptive headlight come out and make room to get a hand in there or am I going to have to Spears the housing from the lens then flute them back together? Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    The front cover of the headlamp can unsnap, but the grille and bumper cover are in front of it.

My Cars
    97 318I, 01 325ci
    Quote Originally Posted by JDStrickland View Post
    The front cover of the headlamp can unsnap, but the grille and bumper cover are in front of it.
    I can get the headlight out easy enough, but given that you can't buy a replacement outer lens from the stealer, I'm led to believe that the outer lens is not removable. I know it was on the E46 chassis, but I don't see any replacement lenses for E92....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    I guess I don't know for certain, but when I looked at my '08 E93, I can see clips that hold the cover on. I can see two from the top, I assume there must be two more that I do not see unless I take the headlamps out.

There is a small black cover over the outboard light that gives you access to bulb that is mounted inside. Each headlamp position has two bulbs, the one in the front is the lighting for that particular position, the inboard has the xenon lamp, the outboard has a halogen. At the rear of the bowl is a bulb that performs the Angel Eye duties. The xenon bulb is high voltage and is purposefully difficult to gain access to because most people will not be able to do anything with it even if they could get to it. The Halogen bulbs operate on 12v, and they are common parts. (I have not looked for xenon lamps at the auto parts store, but BMW does a very good job of telling you to beware of electrical shock.)

I leave my lights on Auto Mode, and noticed that I had one of the outboard headlamps not coming on when I pulled out of my garage. I searched for the access point to change the bulb, and found a nearly triangular shaped cover that has plastic leaf springs that clip it into place. I removed the cover and found a bulb in the front of the lamp bowl that was not in, and another in the rear of the bowl that was illuminated. I swapped the left side and right side bulbs at the front of the bowls, and found that the right side lamp still did not light (the bulb formerly in the left side did not work in the right, and the bulb in the right side worked in the left). I discovered that when the car was in R, both lights worked, but when in D, they worked when the steering wheel was turned something more than 90 degrees, and then the light on the side where the wheel was turned came on. Turns out the car has Cornering Lights. Who knew?

Bottom line is that there are bulbs in the front of the bowls, and bulbs in the back of the bowls. During all of my work, the bulbs at the rear of the bowls remained on constantly, and the bulbs at the front had various conditions that had to be met for them to be turned on.

None of this matters to your issue, but I think that the clear cover on the front of the headlamp assembly can be snapped off so that you can collect the lens cover that is laying inside of your headlamp.

Items 4 & 6 can be removed with the headlamps still installed into the car. When Item 6 is out, you will see the clips that hold the clear cover in place. There is one directly under Item 6, and another on the angled side toward the radiator. My logic says that there should be at least 2 more of these clips holding the clear cover on.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=63_0961