Thread: Lost video display, Heads Up, Rear Ent, & Air suspension -1st shop gave up!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 750il Sport

Lost video display, Heads Up, Rear Ent, & Air suspension -1st shop gave up!

2009 750li, 99k, pristine condition.

Went out one morning to go somewhere, and had no video display (so no radio or I-drive), no Heads Up, no rear entertainment, and no rear air suspension.

Everything else works normally, ie dashboard, a/c, windows, locks, engine, etc.

Took the car to Precision Imports in Frisco based on recommendation from another BMW owner. After three weeks, they are giving up. They said there is no communication between the modules. I asked if they use ISTA-P, and he said they did not, they used another "all-brand" generic diagnosis system (that apparently is very expensive). In their defense, they are not charging me (though they did install a new rear air suspension pump that I paid for, but it didn't change anything).

I called a BMW-only indy not too far, and they want $125 just to hook it up to ISTA-P and read the codes. They told me they had a 5-series with a similar issue, and they quoted him 12 hours labor to remove the interior and each individual module until they found the culprit. This sounds like a shotgun approach if there ever was one.

With my limited knowledge, this sounds like a Canbus network error. Is there a central communications module that everything goes through?

So, can anybody shed any light on what may be going on?

Is there a better way to diagnose the modules other than removing them all on-by-one?

Is it worth taking it to the stealer (somewhere I never go unless I have no choice).

I appreciate your time and thoughts on this matter!
    Last edited by FlylowTX; 05-06-2021 at 03:49 PM.

My Cars
    750 F01, 850i, LR3 HSE
    On the Fxxx, the modules you've listed all run on the K CAN bus and depending on equipment level there can be up to 17 modules on that bus and any one of them can pull it down. Sometimes you get lucky and you can go by the last and first fault(s) displayed in ISTA and evaluate the time stamps in detailed information to narrow down the probable module(s).

Usually you would need to disconnect each module until you obtain communication with the bus. You don't honestly think that they should diagnose it for free? Your best bet is the dealer has there are not too many shops that have solid experience with the BMW Topology and bus systems.

Mark.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlylowTX View Post
    2009 750li, 99k, pristine condition.

Went out one morning to go somewhere, and had no video display (so no radio or I-drive), no Heads Up, no rear entertainment, and no rear air suspension.

Everything else works normally, ie dashboard, a/c, windows, locks, engine, etc.

Took the car to Precision Imports in Frisco based on recommendation from another BMW owner. After three weeks, they are giving up. They said there is no communication between the modules. I asked if they use ISTA-P, and he said they did not, they used another "all-brand" generic diagnosis system (that apparently is very expensive). In their defense, they are not charging me (though they did install a new rear air suspension pump that I paid for, but it didn't change anything).

I called a BMW-only indy not too far, and they want $125 just to hook it up to ISTA-P and read the codes. They told me they had a 5-series with a similar issue, and they quoted him 12 hours labor to remove the interior and each individual module until they found the culprit. This sounds like a shotgun approach if there ever was one.

With my limited knowledge, this sounds like a Canbus network error. Is there a central communications module that everything goes through?

So, can anybody shed any light on what may be going on?

Is there a better way to diagnose the modules other than removing them all on-by-one?

Is it worth taking it to the stealer (somewhere I never go unless I have no choice).

I appreciate your time and thoughts on this matter!

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    To add to what mandd wrote...you can see a topology chart and description of the modules below. Some of the things you mention. Are on the MOST bus and some are on the K-CAN bus:

Last edited by Qsilver7; 05-15-2021 at 10:25 AM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)