Thread: Water damage on leather dashboard upper

My Cars
    2013 740LiX, 2004 645Ci

Question Water damage on leather dashboard upper

With all this COVID stay at home last year, I hadn’t checked out my BMW for a bit... and a few weeks after a hurricane passed through (lots of rain) ...I found water penetration around failed windshield gasket... worst part is that the leather on dash had been soaked then heated in the sun for a couple of weeks! Yes...it shrunk and pulled off the dash and from around vents, etc....

Now I’m trying to figure out best course of action here (on tight budget)... thinking either remove dash and take to upholsterer or replace with used from other vehicle.

im posting today to see if any of you have experience, or know where I can do find steps to remove the entire upper dashboard...

and yes ... I did repair the windshield gasket. All windshield shops said they’d do it for price of new glad >$700 ... I found the gasket was like goo...and I was able to scrap out, clean, tape off, and fill with acrylic/silicone gasket material.... for under $35... and it works great! With that though...I’m also hoping I can remove the dash without removing the windshield (?)

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

My Cars
    2011 Alpina B7
    Replacing the dash with a used dash isn't very hard. I have done it with my car as my leather dash shrunk due to the sun beating on it. I found a dash on eBay for 400 bucks

My Cars
    2014 BMW 750Li xDrive
    Hi Gingilungo,

I'm having the same issue in reagrds to the rotted gasket. I was wondering why the windshield shops were charging so much? Was it because they wanted to remove the windshield in order to replace the gasket? I to am on a strict budget so I'm looking to repair the issue at a reasonable cost. I was researching BMW replacement parts and found part# 51317184565. I'm thinking about ordering this part but now I'm thinking that for this specific part to be removed and replaced the windshielf must be removed? Do you happend to know if this is the case? I don't want to buy the part for roughly $80 and then realize that the only way to replace the rotted gasket is through removing and re installing the windshield. I appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Nick