Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took my DCT swapped Turbo E36 M3 to Road America

My Cars
    97 Turbo DCT M3

Took my DCT swapped Turbo E36 M3 to Road America

I just did a DCT swap on my 97 M3 after breaking 5 ZF 5 speeds, here is the first test of the DCT transmission at Road America on 4-24. The transmission worked flawlessly the whole time. Here is a video on our YouTube channel. I will be posting some more videos of the DCT soon. The car is making around 650whp and the DCT transmission is on stock clutches. https://youtu.be/10EBKk7voI4

Thanks
    -Mike

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    Quote Originally Posted by 325isBimmer View Post
    I just did a DCT swap on my 97 M3 after breaking 5 ZF 5 speeds, here is the first test of the DCT transmission at Road America on 4-24. The transmission worked flawlessly the whole time. Here is a video on our YouTube channel. I will be posting some more videos of the DCT soon. The car is making around 650whp and the DCT transmission is on stock clutches. https://youtu.be/10EBKk7voI4

Thanks
    -Mike
    FN awesome and you and your car are very fast!

I have many questions:

Are you using the HTG TCU controller?
    Did you do the entire swap?
    Where did you source the adaptor plate and driveshaft?
    What BDW throttle body are you using? (Are you even using one because I didn't notice any downshift blips)
    How is the take off, reverse drivability?
    How much did the total swap cost you?

I'm really wanting to do a 8HP70 or 8HP75 swap this winter to avoid the DBW conversion, but DCT may be good enough.

My Cars
    97 Turbo DCT M3
    Quote Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
    FN awesome and you and your car are very fast!

I have many questions:

Are you using the HTG TCU controller?
    Did you do the entire swap?
    Where did you source the adaptor plate and driveshaft?
    What BDW throttle body are you using? (Are you even using one because I didn't notice any downshift blips)
    How is the take off, reverse drivability?
    How much did the total swap cost you?

I'm really wanting to do a 8HP70 or 8HP75 swap this winter to avoid the DBW conversion, but DCT may be good enough.
    I am using DKGecu
    I did the swap myself and did all the wiring/fabrication needed
    No need for an adapter plate, I had to drill out the top mounts on the transmission and build up a weld to tap for the starter mount then it bolts up. My driveshaft is a DSS 1 piece shaft that I had shortened and balanced by a local shop. I had to take measurements after trans was installed
    Stock throttle body, throttle blip would be nice but not needed
    take off and reverse is fine, no issues.
    I spent about 5k but with me doing all the labor probably 30-40hrs

Thanks
    -Mike

My Cars
    '99 M3
    Mike, I had a great time watching you and Tom at the event. You're a beast with the e36 representing the community proper. Here are a few pictures I took.

-Dave

20210424_150607.jpg
    20210424_144604.jpg
    20210424_102058.jpg
    20210424_111440.jpg
    20210424_111653.jpg
    TEC-3R, T4 GT40, WISECO, EAGLE, SUPERTECH, O-RING'D "FRANKENSTEIN" STROKER.

My Cars
    95 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 325isBimmer View Post

Thanks
    -Mike
    That car is working for you!
    I compared a modified C7 Z06 to your car through the same corner snd straight stretch of road America, and while your car was 2 mph slower in the corner, your speed was 127 verse 122 mph under the bridge.
    congrats to a very cool car!
    WOT

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Saw this on FB - well done, the car rips!

how is the shifting when not WOT?

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Great job! I would like to do the conversion.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 04-29-2021 at 07:25 AM.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/6T
    That’s a perfect setup for the track. Well done and thank you for sharing! Do you run a cooler?

My Cars
    99 M3 cpe;15 Avalon Ltd.
    I was watching your YouTube vids a few days ago thoroughly impressed...that's a very fast car, and that trans looks amazing in there! I'm amazed at how well the paddles and center console shifter work, the trans responds instantly. Definitely a game changer type of setup.
    MODS: AA SC'D Rotrex C38-92 Stage 2 (60# injectors)==M50 Manifold==Snow Performance Stage 2.5 Meth Kit==Schrick 264/256 Cams==AA Ceramic Coated Headers==AA Trackpipe==Eisenmann Race 2x76==Clutch Master FX250 Clutch==Euro Oil Cooler==MANN Provent 200 Crankcase Catch Can==AA DSB== X-Brace==ZKW 6000K HID FX-R retrofit with Orion V2 L.E.D. Angel Eyes==Euro clear signals and tail lights==M-Tech Pedals and E-Brake==BBS RGR Diamond Black 17x8; 17x9 staggered==Leather Z Gauge Kit (oil temp, oil press, voltage)==Rally Road Guage Pod (steering wheel mounted with AEM AFR guage and Prosport boost gauge)==Cut-ring head gasket==Head refresh done by Autohead Performance==KW V2 Coilover Kit

Current with 85mm pulley and meth: 450 whp 365 wtq @ 13 psi on a Dynojet at Performance Eurowerks in Buffalo Grove, IL.
    Previous: AA Mustang Dyno Tuned in Miami, FL @ 10 psi on 93 pump made 392whp 325wtq (
    Performance Eurowerks Dynojet in Buffalo Grove, IL was 410 whp and 325 wtq @ 10 psi)

My Cars
    a bunch of broken ones
    This is pretty awesome. For reference, the guys at ECUWORX got the factory mss54hp dme to talk to the HTG tcu.

My Cars
    BMWs
    So sick. I need one.

My Cars
    1998 M3 643whp
    I lied and have 1 more question.

What ECU are you running? Reflashed MS41?

My Cars
    skateboard
    Ahhh yes it’s on bimmerforums finally. Can we ban Facebook?
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    BMWs
    Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Can we ban Facebook?
    Please

My Cars
    M Coupe
    FB gone would literally save the world.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Worst part is all the info on FB is just completely lost and forgotten about not even a day later.... What a horrid platform for information sharing that should remain relevant/visible.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have notice that — same questions over again and no apparent search. Plus many can’t or won’t communicate well so details are limited. But it is where the action is these days. Some of those guys are doing great stuff.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    I have notice that — same questions over again and no apparent search. Plus many can’t or won’t communicate well so details are limited. But it is where the action is these days. Some of those guys are doing great stuff.
    It's a great sales platform I agree... Show off what you've done and hope that the hype follows... But for actual information it's a turd. You can't get results from FB posts on google, you can't easily search even in the FB group from what I've seen/tried.

But I guess for people who love to ask open ended questions with zero forethought or understanding it's the perfect platform.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe 5pd
    Epic! The things dreams are made of.

Quote Originally Posted by GG///M3 View Post
    Can we ban Facebook?
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboShu View Post
    FB gone would literally save the world.
    I wonder if people could use it for staying in touch with friends and family?
    Tom
    Currently 1995 M3 manual coupe, 1993 325is
    Past cars
    2003 530i
    1998 528i
    1995 530i
    1988 528e
    1988 535i
    1987 2.7i
    1972 2002

My Cars
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    It's a great sales platform I agree... Show off what you've done and hope that the hype follows... But for actual information it's a turd. You can't get results from FB posts on google, you can't easily search even in the FB group from what I've seen/tried.

But I guess for people who love to ask open ended questions with zero forethought or understanding it's the perfect platform.
    The repeated / overly vague / general questions on FB can be frustrating. With that being said, the forums are limited on some of the more "up-to-date" information and discussions are more challenging due to the format and, at times, lack of responses. By comparison, FB helped me find some info that was not on the forums and it certainly gets a lot more activity (for better or worse).

IMO both FB and the forums have their place and both are just tools I use if I have a question or am looking to learn from a trusted source. I've always been more of a "lurker" since I simply don't have the knowledge to consider myself an expert in the automotive field and I won't speculate on something I am not sure of.

My Cars
    E36 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by R.Thomas View Post
    By comparison, FB helped me find some info that was not on the forums and it certainly gets a lot more activity (for better or worse).
    How did you find the info? Make a post and get a response?

In that way that platform is good - it IS social (or what people consider social these days) and has an insane amount of traffic no doubt.

My Cars
    A few
    Quote Originally Posted by NOTORIOUS VR View Post
    How did you find the info? Make a post and get a response?

In that way that platform is good - it IS social (or what people consider social these days) and has an insane amount of traffic no doubt.
    I found the info by searching within the group

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Very impressive!

My Cars
    93' Turbo 325i Coupe
    DCT, the way of the future i've seen a few E36's with DCT's in them now....maybe I should rip the one out of my wifes Kia Seltos and throw it in the race car haha.

On the topic of Facebook, it's a useful tool when you know how to use it. Yes it's sometimes hard to find information, but I've learnt so much about my E36 from FB posts it's not funny. If you know how to effectively search, it works great. Plus I still don't know how to upload a damn photo to BimmerForums, but FB is easy as. Anyway, each to their own, I enjoy both platforms for their uniqueness.

My Cars
    turbo e36 m3/ stock s50/e30 m3
    [QUOTE=325isBimmer;30677087]I am using DKGecu
    I did the swap myself and did all the wiring/fabrication needed
    No need for an adapter plate, I had to drill out the top mounts on the transmission and build up a weld to tap for the starter mount then it bolts up. My driveshaft is a DSS 1 piece shaft that I had shortened and balanced by a local shop. I had to take measurements after trans was installed
    Stock throttle body, throttle blip would be nice but not needed
    take off and reverse is fine, no issues.
    I spent about 5k but with me doing all the labor probably 30-40hrs

Thanks
    -Mike[/QU

Did you use the n55 DCT? I ask because that's what I did to make a gs6-53bz to work on my s52.

96 M3, GT4094R, Arrow Rods, CP Pistons, Elring HG, cutring 87mm, 10 mm ARP studs,MS3pro, EMC Intercooler, n54 6 speed with Motiv twin disk, ZT-2 wideband, Zionsville Radiator, X-brace, H&R springs with bilstien shocks, QTP electronic cutout, Line Locks, stock exhaust 455rwtq, 453rwhp at 14 psi 91 octane.......684rwtq, 681rwhp at 24 psi running flex fuel E60 at time of dyno tune.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast