Bimmerforums Upgrade Garage The Tire Rack

Thread: 8.5 Contour Wheel tire reviews

My Cars
    2001 540i

8.5 Contour Wheel tire reviews

Its taken a few years but I wanted to give my impression of tire options on a square set of 8.5 contours.

The first set was Nankang 235/40/17s. The tires were used (Long story).

Grippest tires on my E36 to date. I understood the meaning of stickiness. Quality of the ride was smooth (on the freeway)....I am talking Cadillac/Lexus/Avalon. Super noticeable on the freeway. It was like driving a different car and wasnt aware an E36 could feel that way. The only cons were that they were loud and slowed the car down. Drag? Rubbering? Since they were used and on their last tread life, I only had them for 3 months.

Second set were 225/45/17 continentals. Yes a 45 series tire on a 8.5 rim. They looked goofy on the car but worked. Car accelerated better but the ride wasnt as smooth as the 235/40s.

Today, I finally went 245/40/17 Kuhmo PS31. The gap of the fender filled in better but the ride feels like the 225. No noticeable grip compared to the 225s.

It seems that the experience is based on the tire company, not necessarily tire size in that sense and of course the wheel.

The Nankang were actually on a 7.5 Contour squared set I had originally on the car which is why I migrated them over when I got the 8.5 rims.

A 235/40/17 on a 7.5 rim does not behave the same when its on a 8.5 wheel. Again, it drove like a totally different car.

I might go Michelin in my next set since everyone swears by them but I think you know what I am going to say: Nankangs.

Yes they slowed the car down but the quality of the ride in terms of feeling smooth on the freeway and the ridiculous cornering is worth the trade for my driving experience.

I am just surprise with the 245s. I expected more grip but its not noticeable (to the 225/45s) and yes who would have thought Nankangs.

Sounds like the side walls on a 8.5 wheel dictates the ride of the car. In this case, 235/40/17 might be just the perfect blend on a 8.5 wheel.

Only other size I am curious about is 245/35/17s but at the end, I found the right blend for me.

Javier
    Last edited by Javier H; 04-27-2021 at 02:16 PM.

My Cars
    e36, e39, r56
    Thanks for the review Javier.

I just purchased a set of 4 Contour Rep wheels 17' 8.5 and wanted to confirm they will work on my E36 build. Two have +43ET offset and two have +15ET. Is this your same offset for your square set up? I am a big fan of Michelins since they have always done great on my vehicles from Tahoe suv to e39 m5. Long wear life, great traction and Tire Rack has always been great. Ice x and Pilot sports. I have never heard of Nankings. What specifically did you like about them? Where did you purchase? What model? On their website they would not let me select a 17inch in 245 40 Only 18.

Thanks in advance.

Kelley

I see they are on simple tire for 89$, I do understand you like the comfort and handling....
    Last edited by nvmye36; 04-28-2021 at 05:07 PM. Reason: add to

My Cars
    2001 540i
    My car is a 1998 328i sedan with a "sport" package from the factory. I haven't lowered it from its factory settings. No there is no rubbing with the 245 tires, I am not running any spacers.

I think the ET on a stock 8.5 is 41.

Truth be told, the 235s on a 8.5 made the car slow. The 235s (same tire) on a 7.5 wheel felt fine but not a 8.5 wheel which why I opted for a 225 tire on a 8.5 wheel with my next set wanting to correct the acceleration issue.

How bad was the slowness with the 235s on a 8.5 wheel? I thought of selling the 8.5 squared set which had just been power coated. It was that bad.

The 245s are feeling identical to the 225s in terms of acceleration. I haven't driven the car hard just yet. Grip wise no difference.

I'm in southern california and had the Nankang tires ordered from America's Tire. I am not sure what "model" they were since Nankang makes several style. I am hoping that model hasnt been discontinued but if it has, I might still buy the replacement but definitely will likely go with the 235s.
    Last edited by Javier H; 05-03-2021 at 03:05 PM.