Thread: E36 Memory steer after control arm replacement

My Cars
    E36 316ti, E36 316i Seda

Question E36 Memory steer after control arm replacement

I replaced both control arms in my 97 E36 sedan and the steering has gone very weird. There's no self steer whatsoever when coming out of a corner, making the car very exhausting to drive. I wouldn't say the steering is noticeably heavier whilst driving but it's very heavy with the front end jacked up. I took the control arms out of the knuckles again and tried turning the wheel and the stiffness was gone, so nothing wrong with the steering rack. Can't be alignment related either since it persists with the car jacked up and caster can't be adjusted with the parts I have anyway. I have the correct control arms and centered bushings.

I know you should get an alignment after replacing front end parts but getting one before I've fixed this issue feels like a waste.

To anyone who's replaced control arms och just ball joints, was there any stiffness or change in steering feel at all? The arms were from a german brand called TA Technix, certainly not Lemförder stuff but not the very cheapest either.

Some people say I should just drive it like this for a while and see if it gets better but I can't imagine it's supposed to be like this. Driving at highway speed is very sketchy because if you try to make small steering adjustments, the steering wheel just springs back to its starting position, without affecting the front wheels at all.

Thanks for any help.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    Moved to the model specific discussion area
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1997 328i
    No this won't remedy itself. Normally you wouldn't need an alignment after this job but your old arms must have been a little bent. But post a link to the exact arms you bought.
    Attn. NEWBIES: Use the search feature, 98% has already been discussed.
    Click the search button, select "search single content type", select the "e36 sub forum" specifically, try the "search titles" then try the "search entire posts".