Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just finished my winter project.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC

Just finished my winter project.

This past winter I upgraded my cooling system. I went with zionsville and the zionsville oil cooler. My big problem was my eurosport twin screw supercharger was between me and the 20 year old rubber hoses and vacuum lines. I wanted to replace hoses, the ccv, oil dip stick o-rings and I had to replace my oil filter housing to an s54 one so I could have the oil cooler. Randy Forbes was very helpful in selling me the adapter for the ofh so I could route my cooling lines around the ss.20210123_151237.jpg
    With out his detailed instructions I would have been over my head for sure!
    Dwight at Zionsville Autosport was very helpful and he put in an extra radiator temp switch opening so that I could keep my axillary fan separate from the new Spal fan. I like redundancy.
    20210423_093950.jpg
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]68920210304_104712.jpg582[/ATTACH]
    I also replaced Trans mounts, giubo and motor mounts
    20210304_104712.jpg
    20210304_104802.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 04-25-2021 at 06:11 PM.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I also added sending units for AFR, boost and oil pressure gauges. Here is the bung I had welded in for the AFR gauge.
    20210401_141219.jpg
    Replaced the Pioneer stereo the po had installed, which looked like an UFO had landed on my dash, with one that fit the interiors time period.
    20210421_170604.jpg
    Wanted to add a fire extinguisher so took Randy Forbes advice got this one which I installed on driver side seat.
    20210424_213220.jpg
    It doesn't stick out much.
    20210424_213313.jpg
    I just cut a 2"×12" strip of .125 thousands aluminum and attached it to the seat then attached the bracket to that.
    20210424_210615.jpg

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    And finally I found some black anodized aluminum foot pedals that wasn't bright and gaudy.
    20210424_213340.jpg
    Replaced my steering shaft with Vorshlag shaft with roller bearing u-joints.
    20210310_133217.jpg
    While I was at it powder coated the front brace and the hood latches.
    20210222_195337.jpg
    20210304_093346.jpg
    I made an oil drain spout for the ss because it's a pain to change oil.
    20210405_165439.jpg
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 04-25-2021 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    '96 Dodge Caravan
    Wow, that all looks amazing.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Now I feel like I've been neglecting my Z after seeing such clean work. Looks really nice.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by ragged325 View Post
    Wow, that all looks amazing.
    Thanks, I'm Simi retired and could never stop completely, would be boring to not have anything going on. A lot of guys my age, 66, that loved cars all their life are going out and buying these new sports cars and spending $80,000 plus. I could never justify that kind of money for something that you use on nice evenings and weekends. My goal is to get this car in top shape for less than half of what a new one nowadays cost. My plan is to be able to trailer it to places like Pikes Peak and "carve up the canyons" as they say out west. Would love to drive though the Smokie Mountains National Park and various places like that. So want to make sure the car is in good shape and I'm enjoying, after all these years of making things nice for others, to be able to make something nice for my self. I don't look at it as an investment, as I'm sure I could get a much better return in many other ways. This is an investment that will pay dividends of many rides of enjoyment and then one day the kids can inherit it.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    I love how this is so extremely unnecessary and over the top that its beautiful.

This amount of effort wouldn't be worth doing on anything that wasn't a lifetime car.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by ProductUser View Post
    Now I feel like I've been neglecting my Z after seeing such clean work. Looks really nice.
    Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    I love how this is so extremely unnecessary and over the top that its beautiful.

This amount of effort wouldn't be worth doing on anything that wasn't a lifetime car.
    Thanks, it keeps me out of trouble!

My Cars
    2K Z3 2.8
    That looks amazing! I completely identify with the putting more work into it than people would understand.

Does she drive any differently at all with the new guibo, motor and trans mounts? Those are my winter project for next year.
    Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead.

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    Does she drive any differently at all with the new guibo, motor and trans mounts? Those are my winter project for next year.
    They always drive better with new engine and trans mounts if you don't know whe they were done... nobody ever does those. Do em. You'll also be saving yourself the headache of your fan clutch blowing up your radiator

Giubo replace it if its bad. He is s/c so probably goes through em a bit more than most

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
    That looks amazing! I completely identify with the putting more work into it than people would understand.

Thanks, the thing I noticed was the shifting under acceleration seemed better. Probably less Trans movement. I did switch the rear springs to #700 lb. Which took care of the squatting around round-a-bouts( we have one out at the edge of town that's fun when there is no one around to do 3 or 4 circles each time increasing speed). What I've found on these cars is replace sub frame bushings with Ireland engineering ones, while your in there weld in the toe/camber adjustment kit, replace fcab with Turner greasable mono ball bushings, tc Kline coilovers, vorshlag steering shaft and you will be totally amazed at the transformation of the handling of this car. I hear on here how our cars don't measure up to the new ones today and in stock form they are correct. But with some updates with parts that were not available back in the day truly make all the difference. And the cost difference between the new cars and the upgraded ones I'm talking about is huge! To me these cars are a bargain!

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    Thanks, the thing I noticed was the shifting under acceleration seemed better. Probably less Trans movement. I did switch the rear springs to #700 lb. Which took care of the squatting around round-a-bouts( we have one out at the edge of town that's fun when there is no one around to do 3 or 4 circles each time increasing speed). What I've found on these cars is replace sub frame bushings with Ireland engineering ones, while your in there weld in the toe/camber adjustment kit, replace fcab with Turner greasable mono ball bushings, tc Kline coilovers, vorshlag steering shaft and you will be totally amazed at the transformation of the handling of this car. I hear on here how our cars don't measure up to the new ones today and in stock form they are correct. But with some updates with parts that were not available back in the day truly make all the difference. And the cost difference between the new cars and the upgraded ones I'm talking about is huge! To me these cars are a bargain!
    What spring rates are you running on the TC Klines? SA or DA? That's on my very short list of upgrades. I didn't know about the Vorshlag steering shaft, I'll look into that as well. Thanks!

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
    What spring rates are you running on the TC Klines? SA or DA? That's on my very short list of upgrades. I didn't know about the Vorshlag steering shaft, I'll look into that as well. Thanks!
    I have the DA set at 33% up from full soft. I took TC Kline's advice and went with #450 f, #500 r. Rears were dipping on hard acceleration also in spirited turns I was almost bottoming out. So I went with #700 rears and it took care of that. I might go #350 f but wanted to take it slow and try this by its self first. One of our members, Kornfeld I think, wrote an interesting post on wheel rates and spring rates. You should give that a read before deciding. Vorshlag steering shaft takes all the slop out. I had my wife turn the wheel slowly and I told her to stop when the tire started to move. One inch of steering wheel movement before tires moved. With the new setup, you can't move it 1/8" with out the tires moving!
    Last edited by IndianaRoadster; 04-26-2021 at 10:58 PM.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M-Roadster
    Yes, it was Kornfield that wrote about spring rates. It's a good read.
    Tony
    "You can't sign away negligence."

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Concerning the Vorshlag steering shaft, they say off road only so I called them and ask if there was any other reason except liability and they said no. He told me they all have it on their cars! So I felt pretty confident that it was OK for me then.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    Very pretty work--I wish I had thought of having Zionsville put in an extra sending unit bung--at that time their directions were to delete the aux fan altogether--which I did, and have had no issues, but I like your idea better.

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaRoadster View Post
    I also added sending units for AFR, boost and oil pressure gauges. Here is the bung I had welded in for the AFR gauge.
    I am guessing you haven't added the actual gauges yet--just the sending units--or did I miss something?

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    I am guessing you haven't added the actual gauges yet--just the sending units--or did I miss something?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the kind words. You are correct, the gauges are not in yet. The sending units are installed and wiring ran through the firewall on passenger side where there's a 2" round plastic plug that I came through. Having the ss out, I wanted to get all of these things done because it's so much easier with that kind of access. The wires are wrapped in a tight circle and taped behind the top of passenger side floor mat. Will get to the installation of gauges as time permits.

My Cars
    1998 M Roadster
    What are your ideas as to mounts, and location?

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bingley View Post
    What are your ideas as to mounts, and location?
    I bought a VDO oil pressure gauge that I'm going to replace the clock with, the stereo has a clock. For the AFR and boost gauges I bought a bracket from Rally Road which I'm going to mount on the steering column.
    Screenshot_20201126-233942_Chrome.jpg

My Cars
    z3
    Considered an A-pillar gauge mount?

My coupe has one and, with the way our A-pillars are positioned, I don't really lose any visibility. The gauge basically juts sits right in front of the pillar. Keeps it in my line of sight too. Just some food for thought. You can see it peeking out just past the steering wheel in this image...

Very cool project by the way. Just realized I had forgotten to comment earlier Great work. I quite like the quick-drain spout on the S/C

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    00 M Roady '22 Lexus RC
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBreaker View Post

My coupe has one and, with the way our A-pillars are positioned, I don't really lose any visibility. The gauge basically juts sits right in front of the pillar. Keeps it in my line of sight too. Just some food for thought. You can see it peeking out just past the steering wheel in this image...

Very cool project by the way. Just realized I had forgotten to comment earlier Great work. I quite like the quick-drain spout on the S/C
    Thanks, I thought about the A-piller. My friend has an S 2000 with that setup and looks good. I ended up going with the column mount to keep the gauges in a "cluster". It was a hard decision because they both look good IMHO.

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Autometer? I think I have one of those new in a box somewhere.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    How did you chance SC oil previously? It didn't just drain right above the alternator, did it? My VF unit has a drain line, and I just routed it down and tied it off next to the belly pan, and I just change its oil when I change the engine oil. Your solution looks much easier, and you don't have to get the jack out to do it.

I was also wondering what FCA bushings you're running. Are those the monoball versions from Turner? I'm shopping at the moment to replace mine (one cracked), and going back and forth between options.
    Last edited by s8ilver; 04-27-2021 at 11:55 AM.
    Nathan in Denver

1999 M Roadster, VFE V3 S/C, Randy Forbes Reinforced, Hardtop, H&R/Bilstein, Apex PS-7, Supersprint
    1999 Z3 2.8 Coupe, Headers, 3.46, Manual Swap, H&R/Koni, M Geometry/Brakes, M54B30 Manifold, Style 42

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by s8ilver View Post
    Autometer? I think I have one of those new in a box somewhere.
    Don't think so, those look like they go all the way up the pillar, mine stops just above the gauges. Eventually I'm going to strip the pillar down, get the gauge pod moulded into the pillar and then wrap the pillar to match the headliner. But that's you know, one of those things I've been saying I'm going to to do for like, 6 years now... lol

If I had to guess... it's one of these Though thankfully the gauges are higher quality

The steering wheel mounted gauges look great too. I always wanted to mimic this setup which is similar, with digital readout gauges near the instrument cluster. This was from Alpina E36 cars of the era:

Last edited by BimmerBreaker; 04-27-2021 at 11:57 AM.

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS

My Cars
    1999 Z3M, 1999 2.8 Coupe
    Don't think so, those look like they go all the way up the pillar, mine stops just above the gauges. Eventually I'm going to strip the pillar down, get the gauge pod moulded into the pillar and then wrap the pillar to match the headliner. But that's you know, one of those things I've been saying I'm going to to do for like, 6 years now... lol
    6 years you say? I bought my gauges and pod...6 years ago. They're still in the boxes. I had the exact same idea! I was going to have my carbon fiber guy mold the Autometer pod into the A-pillar and wrap it. At least you got your gauges installed. I run the steering column pod in the Z. I like both looks too. Cemal is working on a solution you might like...

122803289_752858195267415_3017081752677404117_n.jpg
    Nathan in Denver

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast