Thread: Engine code P1338

My Cars
    BMW

Engine code P1338

Hey guys so I知 getting this P1338 code every day now , I used to clear the code and it would go away for a few weeks but now it comes on every time I drive....when I google the problem it says crank shaft position sensors , so I took my car to the garage and got them to change the sensors for me... 2 days later I知 getting the error code again ? Any help would be super appreciate x

Car = BMW 1 series F20 2012 116i
    Last edited by ItsHarveyLike; 04-25-2021 at 09:11 AM. Reason: Spelling

My Cars
    2001 525it
    When I google it I come up with camshaft position sensor bank 1

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i
    Currently having the same issue with my 2013 X3. P1338 and subsequent limp mode occur when the engine is warm, never on start-up, and usually at low speeds. Codes were at one point intermittent but have since returned on each drive cycle. I replaced my intake camshaft position sensor with a new one to no avail (light came back); also just recently swapped the VANOS actuators to see if that was causing the issue. No dice. Having read some other forum posts online it would appear that the issue is related to either timing, VANOS, or a cracked valve cover, which are all obviously less ideal than a simple sensor replacement. Don't want to have to go to a shop (I enjoy doing DIY work) but fear I might have to if I can't diagnose what is actually causing it.

Did you ever figure out what your issue was, and more importantly, did you ever get it fixed?

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Moved discussion to the model specific sub-forum.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    2013 BMW X3 xDrive28i
    Figured I would come back and update this post since I got the issue identified and fixed. Unsurprisingly, the issue was not with the intake camshaft position sensor, although my intuition about VANOS was correct.

The intake and exhaust camshaft adjuster sprocket had both failed, which led to the engine getting out of time. Thankfully, in the time between the DTC/limp mode first appearing and me taking the car in to an indy shop, no engine damage was done and the timing chain itself was okay (had been replaced on this care previously). The shop replaced both camshaft sprockets, put in a new valve cover gasket, and got her back in time and now she is running like a dream. I am moderately handy with car repair stuff, but this one is out of my lexicon, requiring ICOM software in order to read all of the faults that will actually tell you the relevant information.

TL;DR if you have P1338 in an N20 engine and either verify that the sensor itself is functioning/replace it with a known good sensor, the issue is not with your sensor.