Thread: shake in front end help

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2

shake in front end help

my 1997 z3 has developed a little shake in the front end. the car has 74K this problem started last August I drove her to RMNP from Iowa. 80 on the hwy was fine on the way out but on the way be I noticed the shake. this went away at normal speeds ( 65 and less). by last November when I put her away for the winter i could now feel this shake or vibration at 60mph. This spring I put the front end up to see what was going out in the front end. I could not see any bad joints on the passenger side that I think has the issue. What should I replace first lower control arm? or tie rods? something else? my front struts are not leaking but I do have one rear shock that is so I will have t replace them but I don't think this will solve my issue. I just want my girl to be a joy to drive again.

thank for help/ advise.
    Think global, drink local, drive a convertible

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Rubber goes bad over time. Have you done the control arms and the end links?

Its not too bad of a job on jack stands. Just need a hammer and fork and a few hours to bang them out and bolt the new ones on.

- - - Updated - - -

https://shop.bimmerbum.com/products/...eplacement-kit

https://shop.bimmerbum.com/products/...2-2-339-996997
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 M
    Have you tried re-balancing the wheels?
    Brian
    2000 M Roadster

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by bk94si View Post
    Have you tried re-balancing the wheels?
    Very good point. How much maintenance has this vehicle had? Are the tires over 4 years old?

Old hard tires, bad suspensions, etc can cause cupping and make the front end all wonky.
    White is Right, Steel Grey is OK, but Estoril is the only color that truly matters.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Quote Originally Posted by mpire View Post
    Very good point. How much maintenance has this vehicle had? Are the tires over 4 years old?

Old hard tires, bad suspensions, etc can cause cupping and make the front end all wonky.
    yes good point, the tires are 5 or 6 years old. I did inspect them for cupping and they look good. I have not done anything to the suspension on this car. 74K is not a lot of miles but she is getting up there in years. I did put a crow bar to the drop links but didn't think that was the issue as it does it while driving straight. I my put tires on the back an the front and see if it changes anything if it does I my need to get new tires or at least have the balance checked the tires still have 50% tread.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Your rubber bushings are long gone at 24 years old.

Tires are also long gone at 5 years and you should replace them immediately simply for safety reasons.

Rubber gets harder as it heat cycles and you heat cycle your tires and bushings every time you drive.

That being said, you are long over due for a full suspension refresh and you will be pleasantly surprised at the improvement.

The Z3 is a fantastically easy car to work on, you can do the work yourself on jack stands. I have done it many times over.

I totaled my dream car because I cheaped out on replacing my 5 year old tires. Don't be like me.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    I hear you on everything, i do my own work. I have 2 other convertibles. I have refreshed our 85 celica and am aware of the difference after. The car had 120k and was 30years old. When i got the z i did a coolent refresh. I have replaced the front brakes and have the parts to do the rear. These cars are garaged and not driven in the winter. This does have an effect on these parts.

So woth that said if i replace lower control arms what elseshould i replace? Drop links and sway bar bushings?

My Cars
    2001 Z3 3.0 Roadster
    Locating the source of a vibration is a challenge. All comments thus far are good. First thing I do is determine whether the vibration occurs under load, as when accelerating lightly or not. Next is whether it occurs when braking. If felt in the steering wheel when braking, then something is suspect in the front, possibly a warped brake rotor. If in the seat of the pants, then the problem is in the back, again a warped rotor is possible. Last is whether the vibration is there in all conditions which makes me suspect a tire issue, balance or worse. As to suspension, a close inspection of the various bushings will tell you if they need replacement. If the shock absorbers & front struts are original, I recommend replacement. They were weak on my '01 3.0 with 38K miles on it but they appeared to be in good working order. Gas instead of oil dampers leak internally not externally usually. Keep us updated with what you find. My guess is that you have a tyre issue.

My Cars
    1999 BMW Z3 Coupe 2.8
    Anything spinning is suspect. So tire, rim, hub, bearing, brakes in the front...my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Cars
    1999 Z3
    Several times over my my 40 years of driving I've had tires develop a bump after cruising at high speed (80mph). One time I almost cut my hand when I ran it around a tire in the dark because a steel belt was jutting out. So I would first eliminate tires as being the cause of your shake.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Front pads and rotors were replaced about 15k ago. I don suspect them. I did inspect tire on the right side but not left. I would say that the shake is either there more on either acceleration or deceleration. I cant remember. But will confirm. I will check other tire and then move tire front to back to see if there is a change. If non i will order parts for refresh on the front.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    I drove the car to work this morning and the shake happens more when i take foot off the pedal and goes away if I accelerate.

My Cars
    Coupes...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1933beer View Post
    I drove the car to work this morning and the shake happens more when i take foot off the pedal and goes away if I accelerate.
    Hmmm, acceleration vibration?, better check the engine mounts and that guibo too while you're at it. lol

More rubber stuff, lol.

I would be calling up bimmerbum.com and tell him what you need and have him send it your way.

I replaced control arms, lolli pops, end links, engine mounts, and strut tops and couldn't believe the difference. It was so dramatically different I did the other Coupe because it was night and day between the two.

Randy Forbes did the SG, then I did the Press car in my garage on jack stands because Randy was backed up 18 months. It really isn't hard to do, its just a bit tedious. Invest in a splitter fork and watch a couple youtube videos on where to whack the hub with a hammer. The end links are an after thought they are so simple.
    Last edited by mpire; 04-21-2021 at 09:34 AM.

I like Coupes.

My Cars
    97 Z3 90 Porsche S2
    Update went to switch the tires and found my problem. Rear drives wheel had loose lug nuts. Yes a shake that felt like it was in the front end was caused by the rear end. Just remebrr that. So my when i take my foot off the gas and the weight shifted to front end the back was able to shake more. When on The gas it could not.

I will still work to replace front end and tires but this give me a month to do all the other things already on the schedule. And thanks for the web link this guy has parts i havent seen elsewhere.