Thread: Installing new amp/audio system

My Cars
    85 735i

Installing new amp/audio system

So im planning to upgrade my car audio, with new amp/HU, and i a few questions since this is my first time.

Where did you install the amp?(Trunk, Passenger seat,etc)
    How did you run the RCA cables/Power Cables?
    Did you change the wiring for the speakers?

Also any amp/HU recommendations. I just want a small subwoofer, and 4 good speakers.

My Cars
    1983/84/85 745i

Thumbs up

I like old amplifiers as cheap as way overrated on power. Four and five channel. Five are great for a passive sub, four for a powered guy. The 10:1 car has a small Bazooka Tube but no amp...car only has front speakers, they are cut way high around 100-120Hz. Sub takes over from there to 20Hz. I think it is a 10". Forgot. Old Kicker ZX460 'rated' at 30x4, bench tested at 201x2 and 202x1. Yah WAY more than I ever need. Speakers are old Polk EX up front and that Baz Tube, JVC media only head unit. 745i has some oldass Alpine rated at 20x4+70x1. It has old Boston Acoustics for drivers front to back. Current HU is some junk, but works. I have a 100% reman Becker with bluetooth to reinstall, just will take quite a bit of work to do it well.

Do not expect much from 4x6s or 4" components. No midbass, they are all midrange. If you want rear drivers, find the OE 'Premium Sound' pods to jam 5.25" components into them.

Always separate the RCA (signals) from the power. Power down driverside, LHD, and RCA down other. I put my amplifiers in the trunk. I grab power to kick amplifier on from the power antenna feed, red should always be hot and the white should be the switched.

Hope it helps, keep us updated with your build, and as always...PICTURES!!!
    I make E23 parts.
    09/1983 745i (stolen spring '13 around Houston, TX Achatgruen on nutria buffalo. 8481080)
    10/1984 745i
    11/1984 745i
    11/1984 735i (10:1-265/6)
    Ford, MB, and GM round out the pack.

My Cars
    E23 E24 euros E34 E38
    Ditto what Hitman X said. Plus, you may want to go with bigger gauge wire for power and maybe ground. You may also want to use a distribution block in the trunk if you are going to run a couple of amps, crossovers, etc. back there. Old school Punch 150s 75s offer a good bang for the buck. And of course, pictures.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

My Cars
    85 735i
    Appreciate the responses. Decided to go with a Rockville RXH-F5 3200\pioneer deh x6600bs\ ts g4644r speakers. Was able to get a good deal on them. Its gonna take a bit of time to install it all though, since i am replacing the sound deadening. Heres some pictures.
    https://imgur.com/a/y6q2fAn

Im replacing the sound deadening cause water had gotten in and was seating in the rear seat well for awhile, so i wanted to check if there was any rust. I ended finding a rust hole in the passenger footwell.... Which means more work.

My Cars
    5, 7, 4x4
    No ground wire needs to go from front to trunk, just ground to the chassis.

Way too much power for the speakers but I'm never one to shy away from power.

5er has a trunk box mounted to the rear firewall with dual 10" subs, board on top of box has the crossover and the amps, 4x40 for the top end and 2x80 for the subs but I have another amp to install to up that and move to 4x80 from 2 amps for the high end...ADS front and rear.

I ran all new wires for the entire system without cutting the old wires so someone could retrofit when I die and they get the car. The rig rocks.

7 has BMW plates in the back something up front need to update that and again two amps, USA amps with good power and a couple of passive bazookas. I need to work on that system.

Both HUs are color adjusting Alpines period correct almost, CD in the 7, cassette in the 5 and both operate cd changers. Not yet in the thumb drive, phone, blootooth era. No problem, a friend gave me about 900 CDs a couple years ago. Still getting a first listen on a few of them.

if you have a 2 conductor wire from the battery to the rear for the amp, you could use both conductors for positive and use a jumper from the amp ground to the chassis in the rear for the ground. I would want a big honking wire to take power to the rear. I have a stiffening cap in the 5 for the ADS amps in that car.