Thread: M40B18 Efi to Carb swap

My Cars
    E34 518i

M40B18 Efi to Carb swap

Hello forum, i have a M40B18 engine in good condition so here with quarantine i want to play with my new toys.
    i found two Dellortos DHLA40 in good condition from working engine. And i want to install it on my m40 just for learning and to spend my time happily.
    but i'm stuck about intake manifold. Good option is dbilas intake manifold but there is another option from another engine? Like M10 or something older with same bolt position? The other way is to make custom manifold from scratch with stainless steel plates and pipes but i dont know if i have oxides inside manifold (air/fuel mixture can make oxides on stainless steel?), valves, cylinders and pistons are not happy with oxides. I have Inverter DC welding machine, i know how to weld but i dont have equipment to weld aluminium.

Another question is about electronics. M40 have mechanical distributor with Motronic M1.3 and advance timing given from knock and crankshaft sensors. Other sensors and harness is for injectors. i've checked with oscilloscope that.
    Project is to keep harness and other hardware stock as much possible. if i want to turn to efi, will be done easily by a few screws and connecting a few cables and other hardware also like AFM, injectors, complete intake manifold, fuel lines, harness etc.
    So my problem is about installation the hardware, fine tuning, jets etc isnt problem for now.
    P.s. i know about fuel consumption, i know EFI is better from carbs, and i'm not except to gain +30HP or make my car super drift monster or ultimate sleeper in roads. I want do that just to hear the dellortos.
    Thank all of you. Greetings.

My Cars
    E34 518i
    Quote Originally Posted by IDaCyalA View Post
    I also want to know about it. Looking for a proper answer!!
    its pretty simple. I'm waiting dbilas manifold to arrive to install my carbs. About electronics its piece of cake, just remove all connectors to engine except knok/crank sensor. i've install a single carb (from suzuki GN250 (Keihin)) from motorcycle and engine at idle and small ride arround my block works fine.
    I could not ride too much longer or push the engine more because the fuel-air mixture was not enough, with a single carburetor only I could not do much but at least I was convinced that the motronic could give the right advance curves.