Thread: Glove box won’t open

My Cars
    2013 328i convertible,

Glove box won’t open

I have a 2013 328i convertible and I can only open the glove box with the key. The handle appears locked at all times. I can use the key to open by putting it in and turning it, but I still can’t move the handle. Any suggestions as to a fix?
    Thanks

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    Does it have valet mode? If so there is a button in the glove box which will turn it on/off.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2013 328i convertible,
    I can not find a valet switch anywhere...
    I have not had the car but a few weeks and it was working then all the sudden it stays locked. Not sure if I did something or not.

My Cars
    MRster / Z4 M4i / X5 M50
    In my 4 Series it is in the upper right corner of the glove box (at the front of the box). It has a picture of a locked lock on one side and an unlocked lock on the other with the back half of a car with the trunk open in the center. I would expect the 3 Series to have something similar.
    2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels. Looking for a new home.

2022 Z4 M40i, Misano Blue Metallic, Prem Pkg, Driver Assistance Pkg

2023 X5 M50, Phytonic Blue, Black Extended Merion Leather, Driving Asst Pro Pkg, Park Asst Pkg, Exec Pkg, Climate Comfort Pkg.

My Cars
    2001 740iL
    I have a very similar issue, although I have a 2001 740iL. The major difference, is that my key doesn't seem to unlock the glove box at all. If I pull on the latch just right it will open, but if I fail at pulling it the right way the lock mechanism swings away from the face of the glove box. I can also pull on the cable under the dashboard, but where is the other end of that cable? Is there a switch or button that is connected to that? I have also looked at the thread regarding the E38 glove box not opening, but didn't see anything helpful there.

Also, what is the 'switch' that is located on the glovebox lock? What purpose does it serve?

As always, any and all help is appreciated!
    Last edited by Miya; 06-22-2021 at 05:59 PM.

My Cars
    2014 435iX
    Quote Originally Posted by Miya View Post
    I have a very similar issue, although I have a 2001 740iL. The major difference, is that my key doesn't seem to unlock the glove box at all. If I pull on the latch just right it will open, but if I fail at pulling it the right way the lock mechanism swings away from the face of the glove box. I can also pull on the cable under the dashboard, but where is the other end of that cable? Is there a switch or button that is connected to that? I have also looked at the thread regarding the E38 glove box not opening, but didn't see anything helpful there.

Also, what is the 'switch' that is located on the glovebox lock? What purpose does it serve?

As always, any and all help is appreciated!
    i feel like this probably belongs in the E38 subforum, but I’ll still give you my two cents regardless. I own an E38 and the same happens to me. The glovebox latch itself is physically broken and I don’t think there’s much you can do besides replace it. As long as it’s not tugged on too hard it should still open and close no problem. As for the switch on the glovebox (not in the E38), it’s for valet mode. It prevents people from opening the glovebox, trunk, and possibly something else but I forgot. The switch activates and deactivates the locks on the trunk and glovebox