Thread: E21 Battery Relocation

My Cars
    BMW e21 323i

E21 Battery Relocation

As many of members have done, I have relocated my battery at back inside trunk. First, I placed left rear of the trunk when I bought my car back middle of 1980's. Then 1990, I changed to the location installing the rear sway bar with battery tray. The location is perfect battery is placed between the rear strut brace slightly offsetting right. The weight balance is great as mentioned offset right side opposite from driver side and just above drive shaft means close to center of gravity. But now, I have to relocate again due to installing new Alpina extra gas tank. There are two rear trunk locations, left where I used to placed or right side near fuel neck pipe where E30 late model and other BMW model placed the battery. The weight distribution wise, right side is better for left hand side drive car, but I am little concern there are a lot of fuel and fuel vent connecting pipes located right hand side specially with Alpina extra tank will crisscross with battery cable. Anyone has suggestion for safe and ideal location in the trunk will help me to finalize the placement. Do I need to concern about electric main wire crisscross with fuel pipe? I will ask professional shop to install both the extra fuel tank and battery tray.

My Cars
    E30M3,318is,318i,E21320
    Quote Originally Posted by greenalpina View Post
    As many of members have done, I have relocated my battery at back inside trunk. First, I placed left rear of the trunk when I bought my car back middle of 1980's. Then 1990, I changed to the location installing the rear sway bar with battery tray. The location is perfect battery is placed between the rear strut brace slightly offsetting right. The weight balance is great as mentioned offset right side opposite from driver side and just above drive shaft means close to center of gravity. But now, I have to relocate again due to installing new Alpina extra gas tank. There are two rear trunk locations, left where I used to placed or right side near fuel neck pipe where E30 late model and other BMW model placed the battery. The weight distribution wise, right side is better for left hand side drive car, but I am little concern there are a lot of fuel and fuel vent connecting pipes located right hand side specially with Alpina extra tank will crisscross with battery cable. Anyone has suggestion for safe and ideal location in the trunk will help me to finalize the placement. Do I need to concern about electric main wire crisscross with fuel pipe? I will ask professional shop to install both the extra fuel tank and battery tray.

I'd just put the battery where all E30/36/46 cars do in the rear passenger side corner of the trunk. Engineering wise/weight balance it's optimal for a passenger car. It offsets even more weight of a driver since further at one end of the car and corner. It's not sloshing around like fuel so more of a fixed weight. The fuel tank location I'd be more concerned with getting in it's place. Sloshing fuel(weight shift) and line routing close as possible where it wants to be.

Race use we like lower footwell of the rear passenger putting it inside the axle lines.
    88 M3
    91 318is
    91 318i
    83 320is
    08 X3 3.0si

"If it flys, floats, or f*cks, rent it!"